They almost fixed the controls-

#1gunarm_dynePosted 5/28/2013 6:03:58 AM
The motion controls in the Wii version is what kept me from enjoying it for more than a few minutes. Fortunately, they didn't repeat that mistake on this port and I'm already liking it a lot more.

Sadly, there are a couple of things they missed:

* Being unable to map which buttons do what with the control schemes. I'd love to be able to use the D-Pad for movement but keep the X/Y and L/R buttons mapped to where they are when using the C-Pad. Not too problematic as I've adjusted.
* Doing a rolling jump off of a ledge is incredibly difficult to land where you like. That hasn't cost any lives though (yet).
* Not being able to hold Jump when landing on an enemy in order to get a higher boost. Having to press the button on impact is something that got taken out of platform games nearly 20 years ago. It really screws you over in 1-K as one single missed press will kill you.
---
Let's Play Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gunarmdyne
My collection of games: http://backloggery.com/gunarmdyne
#2AncientRomeBCPosted 5/28/2013 6:07:37 AM
idk why you cant just use the circle and d pad at same time it is kinda stupid in that aspect
---
3DS XL = 2423 2409 6597 - Collected All 73 Find Mii Hats
"Veni, Vidi, Vici" - Julius Caesar
#3gunarm_dyne(Topic Creator)Posted 5/28/2013 6:09:25 AM
Indeed.

At least in Shinobi 3DS one controlled movement while the other controlled the camera and you could switch between 'em.
---
Let's Play Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gunarmdyne
My collection of games: http://backloggery.com/gunarmdyne
#4packattackPosted 5/28/2013 6:50:42 AM(edited)
gunarm_dyne posted...
The motion controls in the Wii version is what kept me from enjoying it for more than a few minutes. Fortunately, they didn't repeat that mistake on this port and I'm already liking it a lot more.

* Being unable to map which buttons do what with the control schemes. I'd love to be able to use the D-Pad for movement but keep the X/Y and L/R buttons mapped to where they are when using the C-Pad. Not too problematic as I've adjusted.
* Doing a rolling jump off of a ledge is incredibly difficult to land where you like. That hasn't cost any lives though (yet).
* Not being able to hold Jump when landing on an enemy in order to get a higher boost. Having to press the button on impact is something that got taken out of platform games nearly 20 years ago. It really screws you over in 1-K as one single missed press will kill you.

Unless they changed the controls from the Wii version all you have to do is at some point between jumping and landing on an enemy is release the jump button and hold it in until you land on an enemy. You can be holding the button for 2 seconds before bouncing off an enemy and you will get the high jump. Not sure how you missed that unless you are forgetting to release the button after jumping and re-hold it.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/packattack04082
#5stargazer64Posted 5/28/2013 6:56:26 AM
packattack posted...
gunarm_dyne posted...

Unless they changed the controls from the Wii version all you have to do is at some point between jumping and landing on an enemy is release the jump button and hold it in until you land on an enemy. You can be holding the button for 2 seconds before bouncing off an enemy and you will get the high jump. Not sure how you missed that unless you are forgetting to release the button after jumping and re-hold it.

It certainly seems like you have to press jump again the moment before you bounce on an enemy. None of this 2 second stuff.
---
"did they still doesn't had lesson?
new IP on vita will had terrible sales and not save vita ." - avenue20
#6Koko_138Posted 5/28/2013 7:23:38 AM
The controls are okay with the circle pad, but the response is feels kinda off... Sometimes I roll off the side when attempting to pound or blow, and there is a definite finesse involved in the double-jump off of enemies.
The roll-off-a-cliff jump launches way farther than necessary, which I assume was by design. I think it was a positive error in the original game due to programming, but made a priority here which they then made puzzles specific for it.
---
NNID: Creepshow_138
3DS FC: 0060 9847 9651 ... Stay Gold, Pony Boy
#7packattackPosted 5/28/2013 7:41:23 AM(edited)
stargazer64 posted...
packattack posted...
gunarm_dyne posted...

It certainly seems like you have to press jump again the moment before you bounce on an enemy. None of this 2 second stuff.

I just went and tested it. All you have to do to get a high bounce is jump, RELEASE the jump button and hold it in until you hit the enemy. There is no timing needed. If you have diddy the jetpack will kick in, but just re-hold it after it burns for the same effect. Try with just DK and you will see how easy it is.
---
#8DalkinPosted 5/28/2013 8:03:21 AM
The game is so much better without mandatory waggle.

That said, I fail to see why we cannot map the controls ourselves. Its 2013 and we no longer need these silly and nonsensical restrictions.
---
-This post is in no way shape or form a TOS violation-
#9stargazer64Posted 5/28/2013 8:15:38 AM
packattack posted...
stargazer64 posted...
packattack posted...
gunarm_dyne posted...

I just went and tested it. All you have to do to get a high bounce is jump, RELEASE the jump button and hold it in until you hit the enemy. There is no timing needed. If you have diddy the jetpack will kick in, but just re-hold it after it burns for the same effect. Try with just DK and you will see how easy it is.

Oh I see....I wasn't re-holding it after the jetpack burned out.

Thanks for correcting me.
---
"did they still doesn't had lesson?
new IP on vita will had terrible sales and not save vita ." - avenue20
#10packattackPosted 5/28/2013 8:20:59 AM
stargazer64 posted...
packattack posted...
stargazer64 posted...
packattack posted...
gunarm_dyne posted...

Oh I see....I wasn't re-holding it after the jetpack burned out.

Thanks for correcting me.

Well I'll admit to you that it doesn't work that well with Diddy. When I first posted I wasn't even thinking about Diddy's Jetpack since I am so accustomed to playing with just DK. I think for most people the hardest thing to get accustomed to is the fact that you want to be hitting the jump button before you land on an enemy, whereas most games we play it's as or maybe even just after you land. If you always try to press the jump button just before you land on this game it will work fine, but it will take some getting used to for most people.
---