Linking your PSN account to your Steam ID F.A.Q. (Please Sticky)

#1LyricaliasPosted 4/13/2011 9:28:37 PMmessage detail(edited)
The information is taken directly from a Steam page. However, the ToS doesn't allow me to post the URL. So, I've created a FAQ here with all the info.

1. How do I access Steam on my PlayStation®3?

Once you have started Portal 2 on your PlayStation®3, you can access the Steam Overlay at any time simply by pressing the SELECT button on your PS3™ controller.

2. What are some features the Steam Overlay on PlayStation®3 provides?

Among the features available in the Steam Overlay on PlayStation®3:
• Play cross-platform from your PlayStation®3 with Steam friends on Windows or Mac.
• Access your Steam friends list, enabling you to chat with, add, or remove Steam friends.
• Access redeemed downloadable content registered in Windows or Mac, and vice-versa
• View your Steam friends’ community profiles.
• View your earned Steam Achievements, as well as global achievement stats, for Portal 2.
• See the latest news and announcements for Portal 2.

Note:
Steam achievements are earned in lockstep with PSN Trophies: earning a PSN Trophy while logged in to a Steam account will award you the corresponding Steam Achievement once you have linked your PSN and Steam accounts. Achievements earned on a PC do not unlock PSN Trophies.

3. How do I link my PlayStation Network account with my Steam account in Portal 2 on PlayStation®3?

After starting Portal 2 on PlayStation®3, bring up the Steam Overlay by pressing the SELECT on your PS3™ controller. If you are not yet logged in to the PlayStation Network, you will be prompted to do so here.

You will then be prompted to either log in to an existing Steam account, or create a new one.
If you choose to create a new Steam account, the name of that account will appear to others to be the same as your PlayStation Network ID. The email address used with the PSN ID will also be used to register the Steam account. This new Steam account will automatically be linked to your PSN ID. When you log in to this Steam account on a computer, you will be asked if you would like to keep these account credentials.

4. If I already have an existing Steam account, why should I link my PSN ID with that account instead of creating a new one?

Using your current Steam account provides you with several benefits:
• Your Portal 2 gameplay stats and any earned achievements will appear on your Steam community profile. Additionally, any Steam achievements earned in Portal 2 on PS3™ will be unlocked on your Steam profile.
• You will have access to both PlayStation Network friends and Steam friends to play Portal 2 co-op games with.
• Your existing Steam friends list will be available for you on your PS3™ to chat with in the Steam Overlay..
#2Lyricalias(Topic Creator)Posted 4/13/2011 9:32:22 PMmessage detail(edited)
5. How do I access my PlayStation®3 copy of Portal 2 from my computer?

Each new copy of Portal 2 on PlayStation®3 includes a one-time use code allowing you access to the game on Windows or Mac through Steam.

Note:
Each code is unique and non-transferrable, and can only be registered to a single Steam account.

To redeem this code, please take the following steps:
After you have linked your Steam account and your PSN ID, log in to Steam on Windows or Mac.
On your PC, launch the Steam application and log in to your account. If you created a new Steam account using the Steam Overlay on PlayStation®3, select “First time signing into Steam”, which will guide you through the first-time Steam login via your PlayStation Network account (you will then be asked if you wish to keep your given account credentials).
Once you have logged in to the account, go to the “Games” menu along the top, choose “Activate a Product on Steam”, and enter the key provided on the card included in the game’s packaging.
After this key has been activated, the game can be downloaded and played by selecting “Library”, and then double-clicking on “Portal 2”.

Note:
The PlayStation®3 game disc for Portal 2 cannot be used to install the game in Windows or OSX. Instead, your computer will download the correct version of the game through Steam.

6. Can two players play online co-op with each other using a single purchase of Portal 2 for PlayStation®3?

Only PlayStation®3 split-screen co-op can be played using a single copy of the game. When you purchase a new copy of Portal 2 for PlayStation®3, you will receive an in-box code which provides your linked Steam account with access to your copy of Portal 2 on your computer. The game is still owned by only a single Steam account--another copy will be required to play online co-op with a friend.

7. How do I redeem my preorder downloadable content (DLC) code in Portal 2?

If you were provided a code for preorder DLC with your copy of Portal 2, it can be redeemed by the following steps:
Start Portal 2 on your PlayStation®3 and log in to Steam.
Select the “Play Cooperative Game” option from the main menu.
Choose “Play Online”.
You will arrive at the ”Invite Friends” screen. From here, you may press the TRIANGLE button to access additional options.
From this menu, select the “Redeem bonus code” option, and enter your DLC code.

Note:
Preorder bonuses unlocked on your PlayStation®3 will also be available in Windows and Mac, and vice-versa.

8. How do I use the Steam Cloud features for Portal 2 on my PlayStation®3?

Steam Cloud is automatically enabled once you've linked your PSN and Steam accounts.
Portal 2 for PlayStation®3 supports Steam Cloud, which allows settings, saves, and progress to be transferable from one PlayStation®3 to another, or from any computer to another computer.

Note:
Game saves and progress from a PlayStation®3 are incompatible with other platforms (i.e. Windows or Mac). Steam Cloud data from a PlayStation®3 can only be used with another PlayStation®3 logged in to the same PSN ID.

To access Steam Cloud settings for the PlayStation®3, you must first log in to your linked PSN account.
Once you have done so, you may access the Steam Cloud menu from either the Load Game or Save Game screens
While on either the Save or Load screen, press the TRIANGLE button to access the Steam Cloud settings, where you can select the number of saves to sync. Steam Cloud will sync the most recently made saves , allowing you to pick up where you left off on any PlayStation®3.

Note:
Choosing to sync more saves may result in longer download and sync times for your save data when starting the game on another PlayStation®3.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this answers your questions.
#3yohabrohaPosted 4/13/2011 11:17:49 PMmessage detail
thank you thank you thank you thank you. i'm losing my mind here. requested for sticky.
---
PS3/XBL/SteamID: WillHungIs1337.
#4calzibitPosted 4/14/2011 12:32:19 AMmessage detail
Great job. Sticky requested.
#5Firemafia15Posted 4/14/2011 4:16:47 AMmessage detail
Great job man getting this info,cleared up a lot of questions i had,PLEASE STICKY THIS!!
---
PSN: Firemafia15
#6clo24Posted 4/14/2011 6:43:47 AMmessage detail
Awesome post and info, STICKY!
---
http://i33.tinypic.com/28jfypz.jpg
#7The Waynos BumPosted 4/14/2011 11:52:57 AMmessage detail
Lyricalias posted...
5. How do I access my PlayStation®3 copy of Portal 2 from my computer?

Each new copy of Portal 2 on PlayStation®3 includes a one-time use code allowing you access to the game on Windows or Mac through Steam.

To redeem this code, please take the following steps:
After you have linked your Steam account and your PSN ID, log in to Steam on Windows or Mac.
On your PC, launch the Steam application and log in to your account. If you created a new Steam account using the Steam Overlay on PlayStation®3, select “First time signing into Steam”, which will guide you through the first-time Steam login via your PlayStation Network account (you will then be asked if you wish to keep your given account credentials).
Once you have logged in to the account, go to the “Games” menu along the top, choose “Activate a Product on Steam”, and enter the key provided on the card included in the game’s packaging.
After this key has been activated, the game can be downloaded and played by selecting “Library”, and then double-clicking on “Portal 2”.

Note:
The PlayStation®3 game disc for Portal 2 cannot be used to install the game in Windows or OSX. Instead, your computer will download the correct version of the game through Steam.

6. Can two players play online co-op with each other using a single purchase of Portal 2 for PlayStation®3?

Only PlayStation®3 split-screen co-op can be played using a single copy of the game. When you purchase a new copy of Portal 2 for PlayStation®3, you will receive an in-box code which provides your linked Steam account with access to your copy of Portal 2 on your computer. The game is still owned by only a single Steam account--another copy will be required to play online co-op with a friend.

7. How do I redeem my preorder downloadable content (DLC) code in Portal 2?

If you were provided a code for preorder DLC with your copy of Portal 2, it can be redeemed by the following steps:
Start Portal 2 on your PlayStation®3 and log in to Steam.
Select the “Play Cooperative Game” option from the main menu.
Choose “Play Online”.
You will arrive at the ”Invite Friends” screen. From here, you may press the TRIANGLE button to access additional options.
From this menu, select the “Redeem bonus code” option, and enter your DLC code.

Note:
Preorder bonuses unlocked on your PlayStation®3 will also be available in Windows and Mac, and vice-versa.

8. How do I use the Steam Cloud features for Portal 2 on my PlayStation®3?

Steam Cloud is automatically enabled once you've linked your PSN and Steam accounts.
Portal 2 for PlayStation®3 supports Steam Cloud, which allows settings, saves, and progress to be transferable from one PlayStation®3 to another, or from any computer to another computer.

Note:
Game saves and progress from a PlayStation®3 are incompatible with other platforms (i.e. Windows or Mac). Steam Cloud data from a PlayStation®3 can only be used with another PlayStation®3 logged in to the same PSN ID.

To access Steam Cloud settings for the PlayStation®3, you must first log in to your linked PSN account.
Once you have done so, you may access the Steam Cloud menu from either the Load Game or Save Game screens
While on either the Save or Load screen, press the TRIANGLE button to access the Steam Cloud settings, where you can select the number of saves to sync. Steam Cloud will sync the most recently made saves , allowing you to pick up where you left off on any PlayStation®3.

Note:
Choosing to sync more saves may result in longer download and sync times for your save data when starting the game on another PlayStation®3.

Here is the current link for any updates or changes that should come:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5477-WPJM-9388
---
Canya a l'Europa del capital!
#8AquanoxPosted 4/16/2011 12:05:27 AMmessage detail
Thanks for the Walkthrough!
#9danny_S_06Posted 4/17/2011 11:57:36 AMmessage detail
Question here being, if you play with someone on steam and your on psn, it say you dont unlock the corresponding trophies on psn, does that mean playing co-op with someone on steam and not on your psn list won't give you co-op related trophies?
---
PSN (UK): CaptainSellers
Impatiently awaiting: Uncharted 3, inFamous 2, Mass Effect 3, Dark Soul's, Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim
#10ml112597Posted 4/17/2011 5:43:25 PMmessage detail

This deserves a sticky, if it doesn't have one already.