PS3 Freezes: Sony's Response

#1bubsy60Posted 2/29/2012 9:27:10 AM
Okay, I know I have posted about this, but the other posts are getting out of hand

This is the official word from Sony after I contacted them:

Thank you for taking the time to contact Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC (SCEA) regarding the freezing of the Twisted Metal game. My name is Sandy and I apologize for any frustration this may have caused. I can definitely assist you in troubleshooting the game.

First, as it is only one game disc that is not working, please check the disc itself for any damage, scratches, cracks, smudges, or dirt and clean or replace as needed. If possible, please try the disc in another PlayStation®3 system to verify it is not the disc that is at fault.

If this does not resolve the issue, I would advise troubleshooting the system thoroughly. When a game freezes as this one does (including freezing the entire PlayStation®3 system) this can indicate corrupted data in the game data. There are a few troubleshooting steps available to remedy a corrupted data issue. First we would access safe mode and restore any corrupted data and delete the game data. If this was unsuccessful, we would perform a restoration of the system itself.

To determine if corrupted data is preventing the PlayStation®3 system from playing Twisted Metal, please follow these troubleshooting steps:
• Hold down the front power button until the power light is red. Release the power button.
• Hold down the front power button, the system will beep when you touch the power button, it will beep about five seconds later, it will beep a third time about five seconds after that and the power light will turn red. Release the power button.
• Hold down the front power button, the system will beep when you touch the power button, it will beep about five seconds later, it will double beep about five seconds after that. Release the power button.
• Follow the instructions on the screen (connect the controller using a USB cable and press the PS™ button).
• Choose option 3 [Restore File System].

The system will prepare and then restart. Choose [Okay] to restore the file system. The system will restart once more.

To delete the game data (this is not your progress, just the game data), please follow these steps:
• Go to the Game icon on the XrossMediaBar™ (XMB™)
• Select Game Data Utility.
• Find the game title.
• Press triangle, then delete.

If this is unsuccessful, access Safe Mode again and choose option 5 (Restore PS3™ system). Note: this does delete all data from the PS3™, so you may want to back up your data. I apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

I am going to try the first steps...if it doesn't work I am just going to leave it until Jaffe makes a response to the issue. Might as well try the second step before buying a new system (if it came down to that), cause I would have to transfer my files anyway.
#2bubsy60(Topic Creator)Posted 2/29/2012 9:28:58 AM
Also, to address some people, my PS3 is a fat 80gb that was released in 2008, so it is not an old old model.

My PS3 is vertical offering a lot of ventilation and does not feel hot when it freezes. No problems playing other games, just TM.
#3bubsy60(Topic Creator)Posted 2/29/2012 9:38:47 AM
Another small update...

I found, through some internet searches, that corrupted data in general can cause problems on your PS3 for other games.

One big problem I noticed when I was uninstalling Resistance 3 which I know longer have. Apparently many people have tried to uninstall corrupted Resistance 3 data.

I am going to uninstall all game data which I do not need at all in attempt to locate any corrupted files which could hinder the PS3. I suggest people do the step 1 from my first post, then continue past just deleting TM game data and do it for any other games you have saved on your system that you no longer need....remember, you can always download it again.
#4CoolDogrolPosted 2/29/2012 9:47:09 AM
Thanks, gonna try that but i have a bad feeling about this... my laser is most likely broken but even worse, my PS3 is also reacting very slow at the moment .. as if its only using half its processor power.. never had this before.
#5bubsy60(Topic Creator)Posted 2/29/2012 9:52:23 AM
Sorry to hear that.... I don't think this fix will work for you.

If I were you, I would contact Sony and demand a new PS3 since it is their product which caused the damage to you system.

At the very least, they should fix it for free.
#6auxPosted 2/29/2012 10:10:11 AM
That looks a LOT like an automated response, scripted at least.

And I highly doubt following those steps will fix the freezing issues.

You should return the game TC, and get your money back.
---
Tag/PSN: aux80
Player skill and preference are not correlated. -IamTheWhiteGuy
#7bubsy60(Topic Creator)Posted 2/29/2012 10:11:29 AM
Well yeah it is a scripted response..but that doesn't mean it can't fix the problem.

I am not gonna return the game cause I enjoy playing it. And getting a new copy won't solve anything.
#8auxPosted 2/29/2012 10:20:06 AM
I didn't say get a new copy. I said get a refund.

If it were a corrupted save, then deletion might work. But it's the game's code.
---
Tag/PSN: aux80
Player skill and preference are not correlated. -IamTheWhiteGuy
#9mjc0961Posted 2/29/2012 10:33:29 AM
bubsy60 posted...
If I were you, I would contact Sony and demand a new PS3 since it is their product which caused the damage to you system.

If you think a game's code broke his disc drive's laser, you really are quite ignorant of all things technology.
---
YOU'RE a pie chart.
http://backloggery.com/main.php?user=mjc0961
#10Sweet_botPosted 2/29/2012 10:57:15 AM
bubsy60 posted...
Also, to address some people, my PS3 is a fat 80gb that was released in 2008, so it is not an old old model.

My PS3 is vertical offering a lot of ventilation and does not feel hot when it freezes. No problems playing other games, just TM.

Wait, so your PS3 wont play games anymore?