I just don't get the hype...

#11Flipsider99Posted 3/27/2014 8:11:24 AM
I agree with you, Hayate, I think the game is way overrated as well.

HayateTokidoki posted...
*The environments were dull. Everyone raves about how beautiful this game is, but aside from the end of the desert area (the sliding part where the camera moves to a side view) it just didn't look impressive.

This is one area where I might disagree with you... generally I think the art design is very good, and a lot of the areas look beautiful. But in terms of level design, I think most of the areas are very weak, overly simplistic and under designed.

HayateTokidoki posted...
*There was nothing to compel me to care about this character and the journey I was taking him on. The story was nonexistent, there was nothing to the character I was controlling, there was no threat of failure (as far as I can tell, it's not possible to die or lose)...

The story is very very basic, what I think makes the game interesting to some people is the themes it presents. Stuff about life and death, and how life is a journey life, etc. Not exactly profound stuff, but can feel profound if presented in the right way.

HayateTokidoki posted...
*The multiplayer was pointless. Having a second person around to help me solve the incredibly simplistic puzzles adds nothing to the game. If anything, it was irritating because the other person was finishing what few moments of gameplay this title offers.

Generally I agree, but there are some tricks you can do in multiplayer that some people seem to enjoy. And I like the way that multiplayer is implemented seemlessly into the game. It's something that I'd like to see a game with more depth copy. There are games like Dark Souls with the same seemlessly integrated multiplayer put to much better use, because they have a lot of depth.

HayateTokidoki posted...
Also, I don't understand how people are claiming that this game is in any way emotional or that it's a completely different experience playing with other people.

I don't get it either. Emotions are tricky to pinpoint, but I think a lot of it might have something to do with the soundtrack. For me, personally, the soundtrack to Journey is pretty worthless. However, some people seem to like it a lot. If the soundtrack were amazing enough, I could see it elevating my opinion of the game a lot.

HayateTokidoki posted...
Everything about this game just felt incomplete. Every part of it felt like something with good ideas behind it that just hadn't been realized yet. It felt like the intro to a game or movie that normally takes 5 or so minutes till you see the title screen to signal that it's ready to actually start, except that it lasts for 2 hours and doesn't end up going anywhere.

Yes, I agree. Whatever good things you might say about Journey, it's hard to argue that as a *game* it is as shallow as a pond. People who like the game will argue that it's not really supposed to be a "game," it's supposed to be an "experience," but to me that just seems like an excuse for laziness.
#12conduitPosted 3/28/2014 2:51:37 AM
its not that complicated tbh. If you don't like it then you don't like it.

compare it to games like Beyond: Two Souls, or Heavy Rain, where the entire "game" is basically just one long quick time event, the gameplay is non-existent and there is no player freedom at all. It can hardly be called a game, instead its like watching a really long cut scene while awkwardly shaking the controller around or just holding down a single button at a time. but its all about the cinematics and storytelling. some people love it, others hate it or just find it boring and pointless. I think if a game can successfully draw you into the story or inspire your imagination then thats what matters.
---
~we are a part of the process, not instigators of its progress~
#13HayateTokidoki(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2014 8:36:15 AM
conduit posted...
its not that complicated tbh. If you don't like it then you don't like it.

compare it to games like Beyond: Two Souls, or Heavy Rain, where the entire "game" is basically just one long quick time event, the gameplay is non-existent and there is no player freedom at all. It can hardly be called a game, instead its like watching a really long cut scene while awkwardly shaking the controller around or just holding down a single button at a time. but its all about the cinematics and storytelling. some people love it, others hate it or just find it boring and pointless. I think if a game can successfully draw you into the story or inspire your imagination then thats what matters.

Heavy Rain is a primary example of why I don't like Journey. Like Journey, Heavy Rain is VERY light on gameplay, but unlike Journey, it has a great and complex story and good character development to counter that.

Journey seems completely insistent on foregoing gameplay AND story. Let's be honest, even uncovering all the glyphs doesn't get you more than an absolute barebones plot. And on top of that, we're given a silent protagonist without the ability to shape his development or guide his decisions.

Journey is the equivalent of painters who just throw paint at a canvas and call it art. It lacks everything that makes its medium enjoyable but for some reason There's a large crowd of people who love it anyway.
#14conduitPosted 3/30/2014 10:41:57 AM
well Journey gives the player a lot more room than B:TS and HR in terms of freedom of space and the ability to play and interact with the environment imo. those two games are far too constrained for me in terms of gameplay.

but yes the story is much more basic. although as I said before the story takes a little imagination and creative interpretation on the part of the player, but some people struggle to make sense of or derive meaning from what they're seeing in the game. and to compare Journey to some abstract modern art to me implies you must be of the latter.

It lacks everything that makes its medium enjoyable

This couldn't be further from the truth, but again this is largely subjective. to me what makes the medium enjoyable is the combination of sound, visuals, concept, and player interraction to tell a story. and imo Journey does this beautifully.

Interestingly, you criticise other peoples ability to explain why they like the game, yet you seem unable to articulate why you didn't?

so far the only legitimate complaints you have made in this thread are: you didn't like the visuals/environments, you didn't get the story, and the multiplayer was annoying because you didn't want other players completing the objectives for you.
---
#15Hotel_SecurityPosted 4/8/2014 9:36:35 AM(edited)
Like Journey, Heavy Rain is VERY light on gameplay,

Hard to say this when Journey is essentially nothing BUT gameplay. Youíre not spending time grinding for items or reading dialogue. If youíre not doing those, what ARE you doing?...gameplay.

Journey is the equivalent of painters who just throw paint at a canvas and call it art.

Except Journey is beautiful to look at so this analogy falls on its face.

It lacks everything that makes its medium enjoyable but for some reason

Remember me saying how you donít get it? Well, if you havenít noticed, you still donít. Who are you to determine what makes the medium enjoyable?

Interestingly, you criticise other peoples ability to explain why they like the game, yet you seem unable to articulate why you didn't?

Or why he likes other games that have more ďnormalĒ gameplay. Ask someone why they like Call of Duty and Iíll bet struggle just as much.

so far the only legitimate complaints you have made in this thread are: you didn't like the visuals/environments, you didn't get the story,

Plus he tried to disguise the thread as a ďexplain why you like itĒ question when he really just wanted to tell us he disliked the game and then blew off every response he got which DOES explain why they like it. Seems to me that he didnít want folks explaining their take at allÖhe just wanted to complain and the look down on others who like the game. I called it from the start and thatís exactly what happened. It's no surprised that Flipsider poked in here on the subject since I've seen him doing the same thing. Seen it before, will see it again.
#16conduitPosted 4/8/2014 11:04:20 AM
well Flipsider has been on this board for months hes kind of a regular. for someone who finds the game so boring he does seem to enjoy talking about it.
---
#17Flipsider99Posted 4/10/2014 9:12:22 AM
conduit posted...
well Flipsider has been on this board for months hes kind of a regular. for someone who finds the game so boring he does seem to enjoy talking about it.

Talking about it is a hell of a lot more interesting than playing it.
#18HayateTokidoki(Topic Creator)Posted 4/14/2014 10:07:22 PM

I've articulated my points just fine. A refresher:

-It is visually dull for the most part. There are parts that look nice in small doses, but the environments are incredibly bland (with the last level being the one possible exception) and the designs are simplistic.

-The gameplay is incredibly dull. The puzzles are not the slightest bit challenging and don't make up for that lack of challenge with anything to make them fun. Doing nothing but running and jumping gets old really, really quickly.

-There is no challenge. There's no fear of death or failure, making the already dull gameplay that much less exciting.

-This isn't a big deal since you can just play offline, but the multiplayer was pointless in my opinion. There was nothing exciting to be gained by playing with someone else. Also, when a game has so little to do, why on earth would I want someone else to join my game and do half of it for me?

-There is no compelling reason to continue. There is virtually no story ('based on some optional cave drawings, use your imagination to create the story the devs forgot to include' doesn't cut it). There's no incentive for the player to continue progressing.

I literally fell asleep while in the middle of playing this game. It was the middle of the afternoon. I wasn't sleep-deprived or anything. This game actually bored me to the point of falling asleep.

So, what makes games enjoyable? Gameplay, visuals, audio, atmosphere, story, challenge... Some of those can be weighed more heavily than others and excelling in one or two of those fields can be enough to completely fail in others (Rule of Rose comes to mind). Journey, in my opinion, fails to be engaging in all of those categories except audio. The soundtrack's pretty decent, but that's not enough to make up for the rest of the game's failures.
#19HayateTokidoki(Topic Creator)Posted 4/14/2014 10:20:44 PM
Hard to say this when Journey is essentially nothing BUT gameplay. Youíre not spending time grinding for items or reading dialogue. If youíre not doing those, what ARE you doing?...gameplay.

In the most basic sense, sure, the only thing Journey has is gameplay. But it has to do more than just make you play it. It needs to be fun and compelling in some way. I could make a game where the object is just to move a black square across a white screen over and over again, occasionally avoiding an obstacle or two and the gameplay would be essentially what Journey's gameplay is. It needs more or the other areas need to make up for what it lacks in gameplay.

Except Journey is beautiful to look at so this analogy falls on its face.

I disagree. The environments are incredibly bland and repetitive. There were one or two parts that looked nice, but for the most part it was minimalist to a fault.

Remember me saying how you donít get it? Well, if you havenít noticed, you still donít. Who are you to determine what makes the medium enjoyable?

You'll recall that the purpose of my post was to state that I don't get it. We don't need the frequent reminders.

As for what makes a medium enjoyable, I am not saying I'm the sole arbiter of what does and doesn't make a medium enjoyable. However, conventional wisdom points to a few particular things that generally lead people to enjoy a specific medium. Would you disagree that games are enjoyable due to some combination of gameplay, visuals, audio, challenge/reward, and story? As I've said several times, there will be games that focus on one of those at the expense of another and that's fine. But when a game insists on being incredibly simplistic and barebones about all of those things, it's not likely to be a good game.

Or why he likes other games that have more ďnormalĒ gameplay. Ask someone why they like Call of Duty and Iíll bet struggle just as much.

I'm certainly not a fan of Call of Duty (or shooters in general), but I can articulate why I like other games. A few genres I tend to enjoy:

Fighting games - I like the challenge of mastering characters and battle systems and competing with other players. Visuals and character design can also be very important in fighting games.

RPGs - I like solid stories and character development. Character customization is frequently a plus.

Strategy RPGs - I like the tactical planning and unit management involved. Figuring out new and unique ways to make my party powerful is fun and exciting.

Survival horror - I like the atmosphere and tension. It's fun to be afraid of what's happening on screen and it's interesting to me to see how well I can perform in game under the pressure of being in danger and generally freaked out.

It's not hard. I could do the same with any individual titles I enjoy. It's not tough to articulate why you like something.

Plus he tried to disguise the thread as a ďexplain why you like itĒ question when he really just wanted to tell us he disliked the game and then blew off every response he got which DOES explain why they like it. Seems to me that he didnít want folks explaining their take at allÖhe just wanted to complain and the look down on others who like the game.

Nope. Someone has a persecution complex. I came into this trying to figure out why people enjoy the game for the reasons I mentioned (mostly that the people I know in real life can never seem to muster anything more than the standard "it's art" responses). I've certainly disagreed with some of the assertions, but I assure you, my goal wasn't to just come in here and bash the game.
#20Flipsider99Posted 4/15/2014 6:01:00 PM
HayateTokidoki posted...
Some of those can be weighed more heavily than others and excelling in one or two of those fields can be enough to completely fail in others (Rule of Rose comes to mind). Journey, in my opinion, fails to be engaging in all of those categories except audio. The soundtrack's pretty decent, but that's not enough to make up for the rest of the game's failures.

I actually really dislike the soundtrack, but that's just me. It was all just this pretentious and bland new-agey music, and it all kind of blended together. I forgot all about it as soon as the game was over, and that's a sign the soundtrack failed.

Nice to see someone bring up Rule of Rose though! There's an interesting game, and a game that I like despite it's pretty awkward gameplay. I could see someone maybe making the same case for Journey, that despite it's boring gameplay it has something to offer as an "experience" game, but for me the experience fell flat on it's face as well. I agree with most of your points about Journey, although I think the art design is better than you're giving it credit for, and the multiplayer at least has novelty going for it, even if it doesn't add much.