what went wrong with the witcher 1 cancelled console port and also will i like?

#1ToastyAnakinPosted 8/19/2011 4:05:21 PM
I tried The Witcher 1 on the PC awhile ago, and well the game just felt so weird to me. I do not know how to explain it. It just didn't hit the mark.

Do you think i should give the witcher 1 another chance? or should i try the witcher 2?

ALso what went wrong with the console port of Witcher 1 that caused it to be cancelled.
---
"if gears can be done on the 360, than any game can be done on the 360" (Wisdom_Cube) "I am the content doesn't inst rest me yet"(theroc500)
#2DordledumPosted 8/26/2011 3:04:59 AM

ToastyAnakin posted...
I tried The Witcher 1 on the PC awhile ago, and well the game just felt so weird to me. I do not know how to explain it. It just didn't hit the mark.

Do you think i should give the witcher 1 another chance? or should i try the witcher 2?

ALso what went wrong with the console port of Witcher 1 that caused it to be cancelled.
---
"if gears can be done on the 360, than any game can be done on the 360" (Wisdom_Cube) "I am the content doesn't inst rest me yet"(theroc500)

I have no answers for you, but also would like to know what whet wrong withthe Witcher 1 coming to xbox 360.

I remember it being announced and cancelled, but never got why.

#3VojtassPosted 8/26/2011 8:29:55 AM

Dordledum posted...
would like to know what whet wrong withthe Witcher 1 coming to xbox 360.

I remember it being announced and cancelled, but never got why.

Port was a total crap, and French developer who was responsible for it, didn't want to accept tasks from CD Projekt. This is why Rise of the White Wolf was canceled.

#4MUD VIPERPosted 9/6/2011 9:05:06 PM
I have no answers for you, but also would like to know what whet wrong withthe Witcher 1 coming to xbox 360.

Could be the majority of developers at CD projekt are PC elitist? I mean more than half of them left after the witcher 2 to form their own studio which is developing "hard reset". In which they kinda tout about keeping games on the PC where they belong, etc, etc.
---
Console bug testing has been outsourced to gamers now. For $60 you to can become a game tester.
#5zavlinzPosted 9/13/2011 4:16:29 PM
as said, they werent getting along well with the company that was brought on to port it.
Its also a pretty difficult game to reimagine onto a console, the first game heavily depended on a mouse and pc interface.
#6calrabjohnsPosted 9/18/2011 6:40:42 AM
You know, I've thought the same thing but I don't think it would be as hard as you might think.

Here's a link to the Witcher wiki describing the controls as used on a computer.

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/The_Witcher_controls

To simplify though, left click handles movement and interaction with the world. Left analog stick for movement for a console and one of the face buttons for interactions. I'm used to X atm because of just finishing Deus Ex: HR. Right click is for Witcher signs for computer. Dedicated face button for signs during combat. Buttons for console games always change contexts depending on if you're in combat or exploring or what have you as I'm sure you know.

There's definitely games that are not translatable from computer to console without losing a lot in translation. But considering you can only use potions outside of battle and traps weren't as prominent as in the second one (at least when I played, but I did stick to easy since I never play PC- no money for a good rig and more importantly, always felt awkward) so there wouldn't be many of them. Traps and Witcher signs would be brought up in a radial menu (like the upcoming game), and the different sword styles could be mapped to one bumper, pressed once to switch between them.

I'm not sure what a bigger problem would be then than the controls. Maybe the engine since it was basically just a souped up Aurora from Bioware right? I'm not savvy on that so forgive my lack of knowledge on the particulars.

Other than playing the leaked build of DE: HR, this is the only series and games I've played on computer. As much as I enjoyed it, it always felt weird. Controller for Witcher 1 and achievements--- *drool*. And if they used their proprietary engine to remake the environments and graphics? *dies happy*. I'd be more than fine with a straight port though. Jesus, that sounds wrong. Fine isn't the word. I ardently wish this to happen.
#7LazyyAmericanPosted 9/26/2011 6:37:08 AM
PC elitism eh....surprising anyone making games has this mentality. Hats off to them.
---
"Only the badasses should use the elevator" account of a survivor during a zombie apocalypse
#8dmljrPosted 9/30/2011 11:23:59 PM
Witcher 1 was cancelled because the port was outsourced. Then, the company they choose kept missing deadlines and asking for more money. That company eventually stopped working on it giving lack of funding as reason. Cd-project looked at the worked they did do and decided it was too poor of quality to do anything with and cancelled working with that company.
---
psn id: dmljr xbox360 id : Sword of Dawn Wii: 0186 9165 8762 2178