This game got really good reviews but the combat kinda sucks...

#41HeyPeterManPosted 5/4/2012 10:41:38 AM
^ good point. I have been noticing that I can mash much more in TW2 than DS. I am only playing on normal right now but will play on every difficulty eventually and I'm sure it will get a bit harder and force me to use more weapons but for right now, it's possible to mash, dodge, mash.

You don't have to play like this, and I make an effort to be strategic by rolling, taking a few swings and rolling out. I have been using more bombs, daggers and traps too but really don't need to on this level.

I will say that if you watch Geralt in action, he does look pretty pimp especially if you try to flow with the combat. The game is eye candy in my eyes, lol.
---
"Were here for a good time, not a long time." Colin McRae
#42mordekaiPosted 5/4/2012 12:56:35 PM
foo136 posted...
I think people keep comparing Witcher to the D Souls games because they are both challenging--something rare in modern games. They're also third person view, high medieval, action RPGs, so I think a comparison is warranted.

The biggest difference is that when I died in DS, it was due to lack of knowledge of what I was fighting. However, my number one cause of death in W2 is the poor control scheme and Geralt's strong urge to flail uncontrollably like a fish thrown on dry land.

The f**k are you babbling about? I said "comparing the COMBAT to Dark Souls". Some of you really don't read before you post do you...So damn quick to state your "unwarranted" opinion, Anyway, I died in Dark Souls cause enemies hit f**kin hard. I died in Witcher 2 cause enemies hit f**kin hard.
#43CragnousPosted 5/4/2012 1:19:49 PM

I guess i'll go play some Dark Souls then.......nah!

#44bondingoPosted 5/4/2012 2:30:14 PM
It's almost a joke that anyone could dare claim combat in this game is better than in Dark Souls. Oh sure, of course it's better when you very clearly hit an enemy with a swing of your sword, but because you aren't targeting them since the targeting system is crap, you're the only one getting hit.

This game is fantastic, but it has quite a lot of issues. None of them are enough to make me want to stop playing, but I honestly can't think of a single issue in Dark Souls. It was a PERFECT gaming experience and I couldn't put it down until I beat it. This game makes me put it down in frustration at times, which the very difficult Dark Souls never had me doing.
#45mordekaiPosted 5/4/2012 3:38:48 PM
bondingo posted...
It's almost a joke that anyone could dare claim combat in this game is better than in Dark Souls. Oh sure, of course it's better when you very clearly hit an enemy with a swing of your sword, but because you aren't targeting them since the targeting system is crap, you're the only one getting hit.

This game is fantastic, but it has quite a lot of issues. None of them are enough to make me want to stop playing, but I honestly can't think of a single issue in Dark Souls. It was a PERFECT gaming experience and I couldn't put it down until I beat it. This game makes me put it down in frustration at times, which the very difficult Dark Souls never had me doing.

I loved Dark Souls too but FOR ME it wasn't exactly "perfect". There wasn't much in the way of a story or narrative so I never actually cared about anything I was doing other than just advancing to next area. Art design was great but the graphics weren't exactly jaw dropping. The ONLY thing about the Witcher 2 that I see as a flaw is the combat. Basically:

Witcher 2 Dark Souls

Controls B A
Story A C
Graphics A B
Replay A B
#46Gmoney-Posted 5/4/2012 8:14:58 PM
Games combat is amazing. It's almost like batman in the flow regard. Just stop sucking and Aard bad guys before attacking from far back. Geralt does a cool spin jump that murders everything.
---
Justice. Across the universe.
#47Kurama2Posted 5/4/2012 8:37:11 PM(edited)
you can pause in dark souls now? or are you just derpin? and you can't mash in dark souls your weapon attacks at the same rate regardless of how hard you slam buttons. Stop making **** up for the sake of argument plz.

Real comparison

Combat:
Dark Souls A
Witcher 2 C

Story
Dark Souls B (Yes there is a story, and it's actually good and told in a very unique way)
Witcher 2 A-

Controls
Dark Souls A
Witcher 2 B

Graphics
Dark Souls A (Amazing art direction and art direction bring it from a B to an A)
Witcher 2 (Xbox) B

Also, lol at the morons posting the generic "It's not bad, you just suck argument!" what a cop out.
---
Leaf
#48Shik_stickPosted 5/4/2012 9:06:11 PM
BlackFeathers posted...
Not smooth as dark souls or kingdoms of Amalur.

I'm still giving it a chance tho! The combat is just sluggish

Dark Souls had smooth combat? lol ya lost me there pal.
---
"I'm sorry, do you have a plan to go along with that grenade?"- Nathan drake
FORJ-Best Friend of Red Jenny/ nObama 2012
#49foo136Posted 5/4/2012 9:23:52 PM
mordekai posted...
The f**k are you babbling about? I said "comparing the COMBAT to Dark Souls". Some of you really don't read before you post do you...So damn quick to state your "unwarranted" opinion, Anyway, I died in Dark Souls cause enemies hit f**kin hard. I died in Witcher 2 cause enemies hit f**kin hard.

I'm saying that the games are similar, so of course people are going to compare them in areas like combat. People compare Call of Duty and Medal of Honor--even though those games don't have exactly the same mechanics.

I read your post just fine--you failed reading comprehension on mine. Though you seem to curse like and have the grammar capabilities of a child, so maybe your reading comprehension isn't your strong point yet. Hopefully it'll get better the further you go in your education.
---
Currently Playing: Any and every SRW, 0081.
Waiting for: A modern game on par with Xenogears.
#50SeirikaPosted 5/4/2012 9:37:18 PM
@Kurama2

I agree that Dark Souls has better combat; it feels tighter, and you really feel the weight. (I really enjoyed the combat in Dark Souls.) And DkS has potential to have "B" for story, as the world and its lore are indeed interesting, but Witcher 2 is a better RPG, as you've got to give it more to the one who actually have a clear narrative and story-telling, not just from the item descriptions and major characters you don't really interact with, but bash their faces in (the lords).

Anyway, I wouldn't suggest Witcher 2 to anyone who only seeks gameplay. Witcher 2's strength lies in the (for once, actually complicated) story, the characters, the witty dialogues and the choices that actually matter and have consequences.

Dark Souls - Better Action(-RPG) game
Witcher 2 - Better Traditional RPG game
---
"A few? What'd ya mean 'a few' ?
What maybe a few to y'all was everything to those who died!" - Cait Sith