Does anyone else feel overwhelmed by the farming?

#1jackstar_rockPosted 5/8/2012 11:40:05 PM(edited)
I was kind of hoping to rely on builds and skills to get through the game but as I learned more I'm thinking that farming for materials and orens is part of the game's design - one that tends to easily burn me out. I just crafted a set of Blasphemer's set (no enchantments) but it does jack damage against the Endraga Queen. I ended up throwing 10 well balanced daggers on it and went back to craft more. A group of 3 crazed nekkers brought down Quen fast and took off 1/3 of Geralt's life per hit. Then it hit me that I have to farm the nekker's cave for another hour just to get orens for materials.

Anyone else feel this way? I'm quite inclined to call it a day and play on easy if chapters 2 and 3 are going to be the same routine.
#2mrmontiePosted 5/9/2012 12:05:42 AM
uhh, I beat the game on normal on Roche's path and never farmed. I didn't really have anything to farm for.

Chapter one is the hardest one in the game. Basically it reverts to easy anyway as you progress in the game. With the exception of a couple of quasi boss fight situations.
#3jackstar_rock(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2012 12:09:19 AM
Dark is a whole different beast. =/ Should have stuck to learning how to walk before flapping wings that aren't there.
#4mrmontiePosted 5/9/2012 12:19:13 AM
jackstar_rock posted...
Dark is a whole different beast. =/ Should have stuck to learning how to walk before flapping wings that aren't there.

gotcha. Thought since you said reduce it to easy you weren't playing on dark. Just started my first dark run but haven't gotten out of the prologue yet. I can imagine farming in act 1 as being torture.
#5jackstar_rock(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2012 1:18:09 AM
The Blasphemer set doesn't seem to help much. At level 10, I still can't walk into the nekker cave and start slaughtering 10 nekkers at once. Once Quen is down, the amount of life drain done per hit is so minor and the AR bonus is so little Geralt still dies in 1~2 hits from a Nekker Warrior. It still requires lots of conservative fighting + spamming Quen to ensure survival.

Unless someone wants to teach me how to farm bomb ingredients?
#6Kurama2Posted 5/9/2012 1:20:54 AM
dark sets are a waste of time. those chapter 1 nekkar fights probably gave me the most trouble in dark mode because i was too lazy to make bombs
---
Leaf
#7jackstar_rock(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2012 1:25:41 AM

dark sets are a waste of time.

I'm inclined to agree. =/ I guess I'll go look up some normal sets that are way easier to acquire for chapters 2 and 3.
#8Prince_PyroPosted 5/9/2012 12:00:14 PM
Kayren armor with three diamond armor enhancements is currently saving my ass on Dark. I just started Ch. 2, and I honestly don't think I would have gotten here without it, (if only for the fact that I'd have broken my controller in frustration first.)
---
[=[3DS]=] FC: 0946-2412-9538
[o+[___]. ::] XBL: Prince Pyro
#9ozarkishPosted 5/9/2012 12:14:55 PM
Dark armor set takes a lot of fun out of the game. It takes ridiculous amount of mindless grinding/farming to get (although, I got 3 madness mutagens out of it....). Also once completed it will be so overpowered for the chapter and the game is reduced to hack n slash.
#10jackstar_rock(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2012 5:56:32 PM(edited)

Dark armor set takes a lot of fun out of the game. It takes ridiculous amount of mindless grinding/farming to get (although, I got 3 madness mutagens out of it....). Also once completed it will be so overpowered for the chapter and the game is reduced to hack n slash.

That's not my experience with Blasphemer set on dark difficulty. Maybe Oathbreaker and Kinslayer are different?

As I've said, with full Blasphamer set hack and slash does NOT work. In the sidequest with wraiths all it takes is just 2 of them to cut down Geralt in 5 seconds - and even with a fire rune enhanced best silver sword for chapter 1 each swing takes a pathetic amount of life off a wraith. I have Alchemist maxed and it takes 3 Grapeshots bombs to kill a single wraith. They are immune to stun it seems? Samum is ineffective against them and Aard just knocks down once in 5 tries.

edit: I should mention that this is at the hospital for "In the claws of madness" quest where Geralt has to fight off wraiths in confined spaces.

Granted I wasn't using spectre oils... just one Rook.