The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Symbolism & details in the game... *MAJOR SPOILERS*

#1Sombrero_ShadowPosted 3/17/2012 9:22:48 PM
I just want to get a discussion going about the symbolism in the game that is easy to miss or analyzable.

A few things I want to note:

-All of the monsters in Silent Hill have deformities, especially on their faces. This is likely aligned with the fact that Frank was beat up in the face.
-The movie theater has you enter a screen. If you pay attention, the scene in the movie is actually Murphy's and Napier's homes, and the house you explore is Napier's. The attic is where he kept children captive, which is why toys are there. You see the houses again in the fight with the Bogeyman, when Murphy rushes to the lake, and you also see them quickly in the beginning of the game when Murphy sleeps and has flash backs to Charlie's death.
-It's suggested that Murphy never knew his parents and was raised in an orphanage in the Nun's profile on the Extras menu.
-Speaking of the nun, it is highly suggested in the game and profile that the nun is not actually a real person, but a figment of Murphy brought to life by the powers of Silent Hill. It would make sense considering that Charlie and the Bogeyman are both figments of his mind as well.
-The little girl that Murphy chases in the Oprhanage is likely a child version of Anne, There are several heavy clues to support this.
---
Only if you pay me.
#2spectermaster14Posted 3/17/2012 9:34:10 PM

-The movie theater has you enter a screen. If you pay attention, the scene in the movie is actually Murphy's and Napier's homes, and the house you explore is Napier's. The attic is where he kept children captive, which is why toys are there.

Thanks, now I'm sad that I missed out on that quest.

On the monster end, it seems a bit obvious that the Prisoner Minions represent the way the prisoners acted during the riot before Frank's death. The forced smiles seem to indicate some kind of sick satisfaction from all the violence and nonsense. The Juggernauts could be gang leaders within the prison or something, but when we were playing through, my girlfriend mentioned the idea of them representing Sewell. The fact that he forced the riot from behind the scenes does lend some credibility to that idea.

The sheer anger in the note from Murphy's wife seems like the Screamers could be a representation of her. The early concept art seems to line up with that, they looked much more human and quite a bit like her based on her appearance in Ending... C, was it?
#3PyramidHeadtraumaPosted 3/17/2012 9:38:01 PM
Glad theres a thread for this, in for later
---
MPDS
#4xenoswugPosted 3/17/2012 9:49:46 PM
Wow, good thread and good response(s)! I JUST created a similar thread with some questions; perhaps you could post your stuff there as well as try to answer some of my questions?

I really like your find regarding Napier's home and attic! The fact that Murphy's trunk is popped is perhaps alluding to the fact that he's a car enthusiast or mechanic even. This would explain his comment on the "Old '52" in front of the diner. Maybe even where he got his scratch from?
---
3DS FC: 4553-9996-6690
PSN: Swugly / XBL: Thaolover
#5xenoswugPosted 3/17/2012 9:54:42 PM
Wow! What are the clues about childhood anne?

I was on a similar thought earlier:

I was thinking that the patient mentioned several times in the medial files in the orphanage was actually Frank. It mentions non-responsiveness, psychological turmoil, and eventual death after becoming a vegetable without social function. This actually ties in perfectly with your observation, seeing as how the girl told the boy that Murphy was the bogeyman!

I'm so excited now! I love a good find in Silent Hill!
---
#6Matt_ChathamPosted 3/17/2012 10:00:31 PM
xenoswug posted...
Wow! What are the clues about childhood anne?

I was on a similar thought earlier:

I was thinking that the patient mentioned several times in the medial files in the orphanage was actually Frank. It mentions non-responsiveness, psychological turmoil, and eventual death after becoming a vegetable without social function. This actually ties in perfectly with your observation, seeing as how the girl told the boy that Murphy was the bogeyman!

I'm so excited now! I love a good find in Silent Hill!

The evidence pointing to the child in the orphanage representing Anne is as follows (what I've found anyways):

- When she is first introduced, she's crying profusely, and the boy mentions that she's always sad, but she knows things about Murphy, chiefly that he's the bogeyman. Anne knows things about Murphy, and believes him to be her father's murderer, therefore the bogeyman.
- When the boy is dead, she screams, "Why did you hurt him? He never did anything to you?" which is how Anne reacts to Murphy, thinking he killed his father. Murphy says, "You've got it all wrong, it wasn't me," just like he did with Frank.
- When chasing after her in the nightmare world, he comes upon her standing next to/talking to wheelman, which we come to learn is Frank in his vegetable state.
#7Matt_ChathamPosted 3/17/2012 10:03:31 PM
I agree that the two houses are Murphy's and Napier's, but I think the one you explore is actually Murphy's. I can't see too well in this video and they don't show which he actually enters, but as I recall it was the closer one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el6EfA2Gw4U
(seen at 2:57). It would seem likely that the car is Murphy's as we mentioned, Charlie liked cars, Murphy seems like he might have been a mechanic, and flashbacks/the child's drawing indicate that he and Charlie worked on the car together. Also in the bogeyman scene where you run down to the lake and fight him, you appear to be exiting the same home you explore in the movie, implying to me that it's Murphy's house.
#8xenoswugPosted 3/17/2012 10:06:51 PM
Actually, you explore the house that is next door to the one with the car parked outside.

Furthering the original claim that the kids were held captive, there is actually shuffling heard as things far down the stairs; also, there is incessant beating on one of the downstairs doors. Even more disturbing, once you solve the puzzle and exit, the upstairs window is open, almost as if Charlie is watching you leave... :(
---
#9TheJFPosted 3/17/2012 11:37:02 PM
At the end of the Centennial Building Otherworld, when you're sliding down off the clock tower, you pass two people running above you. One of them was Anne, the other was the little girl from the orphanage. I noticed this on my second play through, and I thought it tied into the theory that the little girl was a representation of Anne.
#10Hudsucker20XXPosted 3/18/2012 12:23:54 AM
Great catch on the movie sidequest! Gonna have to pay way more attention next time.

I haven't paid a lot of attention yet to the Otherworld imagery... anybody have any theories on the clock imagery in the Centennial Otherworld? Haven't seen any discussion about that yet... is it just a nightmare about a big clock or is there more to it?

Also, what the heck is up with the scene in the morgue where the nun is talking about Charlie's body but Murphy sees the Bogeyman? I don't understand the logic there, seems to contradict with all other Bogeyman appearances. Would love some opinions.
---
"Grumble grumble..." (level 7)