Wow I thought people were exaggerating about the combat

#1ThaiNoodlesPosted 4/15/2012 9:10:52 AM
But it's really pretty horrible. I read reviews and heard the complaints, and saw the "the combat is always bad in silent hill!" argument. This is abysmal though. Fighting one enemy just takes sooo long. Especially the weeping bats if you don't have a gun. They land on you and knock you down, you get up and block, they back away and jump on the ceiling and stay up there for a while before repeating the process again. You can only really get a hit in on them when they're running towards you, and after that they either back away and jump to the ceiling again, or block the rest of your combo.

I really am loving this game though, but the combat is pretty broken. I can't understand why they wouldn't fix something so obviously bad, if it wasn't for the combat this game would be amazing. I usually run from enemies anyway, but when I'm forced to fight I'd prefer it to not suck.
#2Jynx_1991Posted 4/15/2012 9:46:54 AM

Combat is "broken?"

At first it may feel that way, but then you gradully grow accustomed to it and you do get better at it. Contrary to some people's opinions about being broken, it's not, rather it is clunky and it does add to the scares in that it compels you to run more than you fighting.

#3JonsbaxPosted 4/15/2012 9:52:00 AM(edited)
Learn to time your charged attacks. You can take most enemies out with a couple of swings with a decent weapon that way, at least on normal difficulty. If you keep your distance to bats when they jump down, you have plenty of time to do just that.

I had no problems with combat in this game at all except maybe the first few encounters with the weeping bats, when I hadn't yet quite figured out how to fight them. I just wished that the camera in combat was a bit better when you're not locking on, since that would make the encounters with multiple enemies much more enjoyable.

Anyway, I don't really get all the complaints about the combat. It's pretty much an improved version of SH3, in that you can't just stun-lock your enemies and wail away.
#4ThaiNoodles(Topic Creator)Posted 4/15/2012 11:08:33 AM
I feel l like the simple combat of sh1-3 worked much better. Enemies doing combos on me and knocking me down isn't fun, it's frustrating.
#5ThaiNoodles(Topic Creator)Posted 4/15/2012 11:13:05 AM
I also don't understand why I can't carry a holstered handgun, a shotgun on my back, AND a melee. I'm fine with only 1 melee at a time, but one gun? I dont want to get rid of either because I have ammo for both, so whenever i need to pull a ladder or hack through a door I have to throw my gun down, it's tedious.
#6JonsbaxPosted 4/15/2012 11:23:08 AM(edited)
ThaiNoodles posted...
I feel l like the simple combat of sh1-3 worked much better. Enemies doing combos on me and knocking me down isn't fun, it's frustrating.

You know that you can block with triangle, right? Even in the middle of enemy combo if I recall correctly. This is a survival horror game, thus you're not a tank but a human being. So if you let you let yourself get beaten down, you get beaten down.

I'm not sure about bats, but at least at the end of the game you can dodge one enemy's basic attack by simply backing away from it while it tries to attack you, and then you're free to counterattack. It just seems to me that you're spending zero effort on adjusting to the game's combat, learning the ropes etc.

ThaiNoodles posted...
I also don't understand why I can't carry a holstered handgun, a shotgun on my back, AND a melee. I'm fine with only 1 melee at a time, but one gun? I dont want to get rid of either because I have ammo for both, so whenever i need to pull a ladder or hack through a door I have to throw my gun down, it's tedious.

I agree this is something that could've been handled better, like pretty much how you described it should work. On the other hand, you don't really need either of the firearms during the entire game with the exception of the very end where, well, let's just say this problem is made obsolete (I want to avoid spoilers, no matter how miniscule, whenever I can) so it was never that much of a problem to me.
#7CyborgTwentyPosted 4/15/2012 11:42:15 AM
the combat in downpour is terrible. why can't they just put in sh2 combat again?
#8SodaltoPosted 4/15/2012 12:49:32 PM
People are exaggerating about the combat. It's no God of War wail away at waves of enemies battle system, but normal combat for a game of this genre. It's actually much more fun than in some other horror games, like the old RE for instance.
#9MassimilienoPosted 4/15/2012 12:51:48 PM

From: CyborgTwenty | Posted: 4/15/2012 12:42:15 PM | #007
the combat in downpour is terrible. why can't they just put in sh2 combat again?

Why? That's a terrible suggestion. You should improve upon a game with each subsequent installment, not downgrade it.
---
Stealing IP addresses since 2011.
#10JonsbaxPosted 4/15/2012 12:59:08 PM
Sodalto posted...
People are exaggerating about the combat. It's no God of War wail away at waves of enemies battle system, but normal combat for a game of this genre. It's actually much more fun than in some other horror games, like the old RE for instance.

Did you just seriously praise a game's combat by saying it's better than in the PS1 Resident Evil games?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzlG28B-R8Y
---
Not removing this signature until Silent Hill: Downpour gets a patch, letting me to enjoy the first true SH-game in a long time to its fullest.