The debates about this being a "kiddy" game

#1snatchsnoopiePosted 11/2/2012 4:37:56 PM
I guess I don't have anything new to add, I just find a lot of the points annoying. People defending the game essentially keep saying "well adults can like childish things." Then others jump in and start saying that as adults they enjoy fairly tales and stuff.

But I have to ask.......so what? Those kind of retorts have nothing to do with anything really. Just because it's possible for an adult to like a childish game doesn't mean that people should be chastised for wanting a more mature looking game. I know "mature" is subjective, but there are obviously examples of darker-themed RPGs (even in this current gen) and some people simply find these games a million times more appealing.
#2ElvenSlurpeePosted 11/2/2012 7:40:22 PM
I agree with you in that people are allowed their preferences.

That being said, this is game is meant to look like a children's movie (I'm saying this more generally, Ghibli movies hit the darker/mature side of the spectrum with this art style too, eg, Grave of the Fireflies or Princess Mononoke). But that doesn't mean all the themes are lighthearted or the gameplay is dumbed down. In fact, from what I've seen, the story does take some dark turns and the gameplay looks pretty tactical.

I happen to love mature games with dark themes, but I also love Ghibli and Level-5. This may look like a child's game, I don't think it will play like one.
#3LightRukiaPosted 11/2/2012 8:08:14 PM
I don't see people defending the game by saying "adults can like childish things" and it's true adults can enjoy fairy tales because frankly fairy tales are rather dark. I know when we hear the word fairy tale we automatically think they're about happy endings, rainbows and sunshine when in reality not all of them end in a happy ending as some are rather dark and twisted. Anyway frankly I don't find this game to be "kiddy" or "childish" at all. The problem I see is that when people want a more "mature" looking game they usually start asking for a game with blood, gore, realistic graphics or for the protagonist to be older.

A game doesn't have to all that to be mature or dark, the people calling this game "kiddy" or "childish" usually base it off the art style and young protagonist. I've never done that and I've tried to understand why some adults do but I just can't so maybe somebody here can tell me why. I hate the word "kiddy" altogether though honestly and I find the word to be childish in a way. Maybe I'm just assuming though but this is based off what I see when people say they want to play more a "mature" looking game.

I'm not saying that people can't prefer more mature games though but that doesn't mean a game is more childish just because it's more innocent. Personally I find games like this to be more "family" orientated than anything. Like family movies they try to have things that will appeal to both kids and adults (this is why pixar movies are successful in appealing to all ages). I can see this game being a great family flick if it were made into a movie.
---
http://i.imgur.com/3pdnu.jpg
http://www.ps3trophies.com/card/10/darkfarah.png
#4Bishop_SasaraiPosted 11/2/2012 8:36:54 PM
Well, if you find those games more appealing, then go buy yourself a gold star and stick your chest out. The themes of this game don't sound childish at all. You don't need blood, gore, sex, etc. to have a good game, nor do you need deep philosophy.

And for all of its "maturity", I've noticed that a lot of Western games use the same crap over and over again, starting with their protagonists: White males in their 20s or 30s with dark hair and some facial patches.
---
Anticipating the following: Ni No Kuni (PS3), MGR: Revengeance (PS3), Tales of Xillia (PS3), MGS: GZ (PS3)
#5snatchsnoopie(Topic Creator)Posted 11/3/2012 12:18:23 AM
Bishop_Sasarai posted...
Well, if you find those games more appealing, then go buy yourself a gold star and stick your chest out. The themes of this game don't sound childish at all. You don't need blood, gore, sex, etc. to have a good game, nor do you need deep philosophy.

And for all of its "maturity", I've noticed that a lot of Western games use the same crap over and over again, starting with their protagonists: White males in their 20s or 30s with dark hair and some facial patches.

Umm, both Western AND Japanese games use the same crap over and over. Games in general are extremely repetitive (which isn't necessarily a detriment). It's funny because RPG fans always complain about shooters being repetitive but JRPGs are like the kings of repetitiveness......but I guess that's a different topic.

I completely understand what people mean about the deeper themes and how games don't need gore etc. FF9 is a great example; childish looking characters but very intricate themes and philosophical discussions about life. Extremely heavy topics like genocide are even covered. THAT's what I want from Ni No Kuni. That's what I personally consider "mature" but sadly, I don't get an FF9 vibe from this game. It seems a lot more childish. However, I realize I could be 100% wrong - I'm just not seeing this "mature" vibe from the trailers and apparently neither are other people.

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to bash Ni No Kuni. I'll probably still get it as some point and like it. I guess I'm just disappointed that the PS3 has so few RPGs and the ones that are coming are ones that are anime cliche ones like Tales, or Ni No Kuni with a little kid as a protagonist. I'm actually gay so I feel no need to be masculine and play gory games or whatever......I just like intricate plots that touch on very heavy themes.
#6Spiroth_KweehhPosted 11/3/2012 3:20:37 AM
snatchsnoopie posted...
Bishop_Sasarai posted...

Umm, both Western AND Japanese games use the same crap over and over. Games in general are extremely repetitive (which isn't necessarily a detriment). It's funny because RPG fans always complain about shooters being repetitive but JRPGs are like the kings of repetitiveness......but I guess that's a different topic.

I completely understand what people mean about the deeper themes and how games don't need gore etc. FF9 is a great example; childish looking characters but very intricate themes and philosophical discussions about life. Extremely heavy topics like genocide are even covered. THAT's what I want from Ni No Kuni. That's what I personally consider "mature" but sadly, I don't get an FF9 vibe from this game. It seems a lot more childish. However, I realize I could be 100% wrong - I'm just not seeing this "mature" vibe from the trailers and apparently neither are other people.

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to bash Ni No Kuni. I'll probably still get it as some point and like it. I guess I'm just disappointed that the PS3 has so few RPGs and the ones that are coming are ones that are anime cliche ones like Tales, or Ni No Kuni with a little kid as a protagonist. I'm actually gay so I feel no need to be masculine and play gory games or whatever......I just like intricate plots that touch on very heavy themes.

Name 5 JRPGs with a protagonist of 13 years old (and not kid as you said) that looks and behaves like Oliver.

Plus, JRPGs are super varied in gameplay unlike today's shooters.
---
Official Wild Chocobo of the Dissidia 012 [Duodecim]: Final Fantasy Board
Official Wild Chocobo of the Final Fantasy world
#7TiaelPosted 11/3/2012 7:14:54 AM
The thing is, yes Oliver is 13, but you see him mature, grow up in this game.
There's a lot of crap he deals with, and yes, while he may act like a kid (in the beginning), for reasons he's not like that the entire game.

I know plenty about the story, the themes, and it definitely has it's dark moments, but it's more a coming of age story.
Oliver is a far cry from your typical kid/teenage protagonists, as he acts older than he actually is.
---
Ni no Kuni - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kUPIPBDA-I
Dragon Quest > Tales of > Final Fantasy, but I enjoy all three. Da Bears!
#8ElvenSlurpeePosted 11/3/2012 7:35:22 AM(edited)
I'm not sure I consider Ni No Kuni an anime cliche. The art style looks like the famous Studio Ghibli anime style, but the story/setting look unique. What anime cliches do you find in Ni No Kuni?

If you're asking for themes like genocide or murder or the singularity or something similar, you won't find it here. I think that's great. A lot of JRPGs and animes lean on these elements to try and feel cerebral and philosophical when they just come off superficial and hollow. I think Ni No Kuni will weave a good tale with excellent use of basic themes.

I'm sorry you don't get an agreeable "vibe" but this just isn't the game you're looking for.
#9LightRukiaPosted 11/3/2012 7:43:00 AM
From: snatchsnoopie | Posted: 11/3/2012 2:18:23 AM | #005

Not all rpgs jans are jrpgs fans. I personally like all genres but to say that jrpgs are more repetitive than shooters? Yeah sorry I disagree. Usually when people say that they're talking about the themes, characters, and plots of jrpgs not gameplay. In terms of gameplay jrpgs have more variety available. Except when shooters are rpgs as well (like Fallout 3) I like shooters like that because of the rpg gameplay. Take out that though and I don't see shooters doing a whole lot of different things.

About FF9, almost all of those charterers were not children they were all older teenagers (like 16) and adults so maybe that's why the themes in FF9 were deeper and more "mature". Sometimes trailers can't reveal everything about a game. If I can't understand fully what a game is about by looking at a trailer I wait till the game is released. I don't judge it however in the case of Ni No Kuni it's already been released so if you can't get what the story is about from the trailer you could try to research it and look up more about it, that includes trying to find people who have played it.

Anime cliche ones like Ni no kuni? I'm sorry what anime rpgs have a story about a boy losing his mother and is trying to bring her back to life? Tales you're right about but ni no kuni actually doesn't use anime cliches that people say that jrpgs have.
---
http://i.imgur.com/3pdnu.jpg
http://www.ps3trophies.com/card/10/darkfarah.png
#10TiaelPosted 11/3/2012 7:49:08 AM
Yeah, NNK is one of the least cliched anime JRPGs from what I know about the story and characters.
---
Ni no Kuni - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kUPIPBDA-I
Dragon Quest > Tales of > Final Fantasy, but I enjoy all three. Da Bears!