The debates about this being a "kiddy" game

#11Bishop_SasaraiPosted 11/3/2012 8:53:08 AM
JRPGs are the king of repetitiveness? What are you smoking? JRPG gameplay always tries to introduce something new and different, and it utterly decimates WRPG gameplay. Story-wise, they could be better, but while the story might not be something OMG FANTASTIC the characters are usually entertaining. And please, don't bash Tales. Tales does what games should be doing - having excellent gameplay, replay value (Grade Shop rules) while having cool characters, Skits, and taking cliches and subverting some of them.

I know it's "cool" to hate everything that isn't American or Western or whatever, but I personally am grateful to Japan. Screw Western games, they don't appeal to me 99.9% of the time.
---
Anticipating the following: Ni No Kuni (PS3), MGR: Revengeance (PS3), Tales of Xillia (PS3), MGS: GZ (PS3)
#12ZEOPOWER6Posted 11/3/2012 9:17:20 AM
Are there really debates about this being a 'kiddy' game?

Just looking at the trailers, this kind of game has tons of depth compared to actual kiddie games. (see: PokePark and such..)
#13Bishop_SasaraiPosted 11/3/2012 10:14:30 AM
ZEOPOWER6 posted...
Are there really debates about this being a 'kiddy' game?

Just looking at the trailers, this kind of game has tons of depth compared to actual kiddie games. (see: PokePark and such..)

Well, see, you know that, and I know that, but lots of people don't care for anything beyond blood, gore, sex, space marines, guns, and being able to be good or evil.
---
Anticipating the following: Ni No Kuni (PS3), MGR: Revengeance (PS3), Tales of Xillia (PS3), MGS: GZ (PS3)
#14pokemon_45_79_1Posted 11/3/2012 11:09:04 AM
The funny thing is that it is not a kiddy game but what we have seen would make you think it is a kiddy game when we already know it is not, but then everyone views the trailers differently and form different opinions.
---
Ryoma / Sora / Naruto / Luffy / Ginta
Young heroes between the ages of 12-17 make RPG and other video games better then older heroes 18-21 and over.
#15TiaelPosted 11/3/2012 11:13:40 AM
No, what I've seen is a different artstyle, reminiscent of Ghibli films.
---
Ni no Kuni - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kUPIPBDA-I
Dragon Quest > Tales of > Final Fantasy, but I enjoy all three. Da Bears!
#16pokemon_45_79_1Posted 11/3/2012 11:19:29 AM
No, what I've seen is a different artstyle, reminiscent of Ghibli films.
---
Ni no Kuni - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kUPIPBDA-I
Dragon Quest > Tales of > Final Fantasy, but I enjoy all three. Da Bears!

So have I as I have seen some Ghibli films. I am just saying everyones interpretation is going to be different but it shouldn't stop you from getting the game.

Saying it is kiddy is an excuse only, because you have no idea if it is or not.
---
Ryoma / Sora / Naruto / Luffy / Ginta
Young heroes between the ages of 12-17 make RPG and other video games better then older heroes 18-21 and over.
#17snatchsnoopie(Topic Creator)Posted 11/4/2012 11:00:00 AM
Bishop_Sasarai posted...
JRPGs are the king of repetitiveness? What are you smoking? JRPG gameplay always tries to introduce something new and different, and it utterly decimates WRPG gameplay.

This is just not true at all. JRPGs do essentially the same thing every game just like shooters and every other genre. I know you guys like RPGs, but let's get real here.
#18snatchsnoopie(Topic Creator)Posted 11/4/2012 11:13:29 AM

Name 5 JRPGs with a protagonist of 13 years old (and not kid as you said) that looks and behaves like Oliver.

Plus, JRPGs are super varied in gameplay unlike today's shooters.

Obviously any that I name you're just going to be like " no no, there's this slight difference that makes the characters totally different."

But anyways, FF9, PopoloCrois, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, pretty much all the Persona games, etc etc etc all feature teenage / child protagonists or at least central characters. FF9 at least incorporated a lot of mature elements and discussions (as I said I'm hoping the same will happen with Ni No Kuni).

Again though, I still think it's absolutely ridiculous to claim that JRPGs have super-varied gameplay. I love JRPGs as much as the next guy, but I'm not going to start bending the truth. Games don't have to be varied and innovative to be enjoyable, but at least call a spade a spade.
#19LightRukiaPosted 11/4/2012 2:28:01 PM
From: snatchsnoopie | Posted: 11/4/2012 1:13:29 PM | #018
Obviously any that I name you're just going to be like " no no, there's this slight difference that makes the characters totally different."

But anyways, FF9, PopoloCrois, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, pretty much all the Persona games, etc etc etc all feature teenage / child protagonists or at least central characters. FF9 at least incorporated a lot of mature elements and discussions (as I said I'm hoping the same will happen with Ni No Kuni).

So all those protagonists are teens that are 13 year olds that behave like Oliver. Once again as I said almost all FF9 were older teens and adults. Even the older teens were almost adults themselves. A 13 year old is very less likely to have a mature discussion than a 16 year old. Now tell how old each of the center main characters are in each of those games you mentioned.

Example NNK has 3 main characters yet Oliver is the main center protagonist of the 3, Oliver is 13. Or I'll use one of your games as a example. FF9 has 8 main character yet Zidane and Garnet are the center main characters, they are both 16. This is what he was really asking for, that's why he specified 13 (which is why I don't understand why you mentioned Persona at all). Even if we were factor out age none of the Persona characters act like Oliver. Out all those games you mentioned only one has a main protagonist that is a kid even though he's not 13. Therefore JRPGS don't use the same stuff over and over.

From: snatchsnoopie | Posted: 11/4/2012 1:00:00 PM | #017
This is just not true at all. JRPGs do essentially the same thing every game just like shooters and every other genre. I know you guys like RPGs, but let's get real here.

No you have action JRPGs, you have turn based jrpgs, and you have SJRPGS sometimes the genres even mix. Kingdom hearts does not play anything like Tales of Graces f and tales of graces f doesn't play anything like eternal sonata. Nor does Eternal Sonata play anything like Valkyria Chronicles. TWEWY does not play Fire emblem. Tales of graces f and kingdom hearts are both action jrpgs yet they play nothing alike and each has their own unique gameplay. While shooters sometimes offer unique gameplay (see Bioshock or like I said Fallout 3) JRPGS (or RPGS in general) do it alot more often than shooters.
---
http://i.imgur.com/3pdnu.jpg
http://www.ps3trophies.com/card/10/darkfarah.png
#20EgHeadFoolPosted 11/4/2012 5:20:24 PM(edited)
I'm not sure what you guys are arguing about anymore. The breadth of genres? The kiddyness of Ni no Kuni? The right for people to have individual tastes?

First of all, if by "shooters" you mean FPS it's a bad comparison because that's a much narrower genre than RPG. A fair comparison would be to all types of shooters. This would include first-person shooters, 3rd-person action shooters, stealth shooters, rail shooters, and even RPG shooters (Mass Effect etc). Even within those genres you can get a lot of variety. For example FPS's can be war games, completely futuristic games that may even include supernatural powers, or they may be extremely realistic where a few shots kill you. But that's a pointless argument.

On-topic with the opening post, if you can't enjoy a game because it doesn't look "mature" enough, that's fine. It's your loss, really. A game isn't necessarily made great or enjoyable by the presence of adult themes, or violence, or gore, or swearing. At the core is gameplay. At their best, games wrap their gameplay in an engrossing world, which is defined by the visuals, audio, plot, and characters.

Ni no Kuni has a very special style through its Ghibli collaboration, which may seem light and childish, and it's definitely created in a way that can be enjoyable to children. It has mush. But it tackles pretty damn mature themes (death, loss of family, despair, guilt, etc). Genocide is not very far off from things that go on in Ni no Kuni.

But, if people want to whine that they can't enjoy the game due to its presentation, they are missing out on a gem.