The debates about this being a "kiddy" game

#21kupo1705Posted 11/5/2012 4:41:12 PM
It's for everyone, like Disney films.

I welcome a more lighthearted adventure after all the srs bsns games this gen.
#22Bishop_SasaraiPosted 11/5/2012 7:04:10 PM
I think TC should get out and go to a more "mature" games board. Like GTA. Nothing more "mature" than killing civilians, having sex, and saying the F word!
---
Anticipating the following: Ni No Kuni (PS3), MGR: Revengeance (PS3), Tales of Xillia (PS3), MGS: GZ (PS3)
#23snatchsnoopie(Topic Creator)Posted 11/5/2012 11:32:55 PM

So all those protagonists are teens that are 13 year olds that behave like Oliver. Once again as I said almost all FF9 were older teens and adults. Even the older teens were almost adults themselves. A 13 year old is very less likely to have a mature discussion than a 16 year old. Now tell how old each of the center main characters are in each of those games you mentioned.

This is just getting ridiculous. I'm not going to go research games and find out the exact ages just so you can be like "oh but they don't behave EXACTLY like Oliver." I really don't care.....my point had nothing to do with exact ages, it was about "mature" themes, and yes I realize that maturity is subjective. And I've tried to say that I still want to play the game - simply a bit disappointed. I want to see more games like Lost Odyssey.

And btw,I never said anything about swearing and shooter games being mature. You guys started that nonsense yourselves. Maybe instead of blindly defending the game with straw-man arguments you could take a second to see what people like me mean when we say that it looks "kiddy."
#24snatchsnoopie(Topic Creator)Posted 11/5/2012 11:39:08 PM

No you have action JRPGs, you have turn based jrpgs, and you have SJRPGS sometimes the genres even mix. Kingdom hearts does not play anything like Tales of Graces f and tales of graces f doesn't play anything like eternal sonata. Nor does Eternal Sonata play anything like Valkyria Chronicles. TWEWY does not play Fire emblem. Tales of graces f and kingdom hearts are both action jrpgs yet they play nothing alike and each has their own unique gameplay. While shooters sometimes offer unique gameplay (see Bioshock or like I said Fallout 3) JRPGS (or RPGS in general) do it alot more often than shooters.

Don't agree......at all. I stand by my point that JRPGs are repetitive as all get out and rarely innovate. I love them (especially older FF titles) but most of them play the same way.
#25Spiroth_KweehhPosted 11/6/2012 5:02:39 AM
^ lol a ton of minigames, mechanics, even leveling up systems, in TBRPGs, ARPGs, DCARPGs and SRPGs = plays the same.
---
Official Wild Chocobo of the Dissidia 012 [Duodecim]: Final Fantasy Board
Official Wild Chocobo of the Final Fantasy world
#26Bishop_SasaraiPosted 11/6/2012 10:04:30 AM
If JRPGs are repetitive, then all games are, and you should just not play games and find a hobby that's not repetitive. Seriously, I find it hard to believe that someone can cast such a downer on a genre they claim to love. It's one thing to admit to certain flaws, but you sound dismissive of the whole thing.

Maybe you should read books or watch movies. Cuz those are never repetitive.
---
Anticipating the following: Ni No Kuni (PS3), MGR: Revengeance (PS3), Tales of Xillia (PS3), MGS: GZ (PS3)
#27PhadinPosted 11/6/2012 12:38:58 PM
LightRukia posted...
From: snatchsnoopie | Posted: 11/4/2012 1:13:29 PM | #018
Obviously any that I name you're just going to be like " no no, there's this slight difference that makes the characters totally different."

But anyways, FF9, PopoloCrois, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, pretty much all the Persona games, etc etc etc all feature teenage / child protagonists or at least central characters. FF9 at least incorporated a lot of mature elements and discussions (as I said I'm hoping the same will happen with Ni No Kuni).

So all those protagonists are teens that are 13 year olds that behave like Oliver. Once again as I said almost all FF9 were older teens and adults. Even the older teens were almost adults themselves. A 13 year old is very less likely to have a mature discussion than a 16 year old. Now tell how old each of the center main characters are in each of those games you mentioned.

I've not done any research on Ni No Kuni about Oliver or how he acts, but I've seen a few 13 year old or thereabouts characters that mature and develop significantly over the course of the games they are in. Wild Arms 4 in particular had the 13 year old Jude as the main lead character. The whole focus of that game was the difference in attitude between adults and children and the children coming to grips with the things they have the power to change, and that which they can not.

Other kids have been major characters (though not the main/lead) in JRPGs and shown great development over the course of the game. Karol (12), while not the main lead, was one of the main characters in Tales of Vesperia. He started as a brat intent to prove his bravery and admiring of Yuri. Over time and development, he became independent character who truely was willing to risk his life for what he believed in. Ken (10 years old) had to deal with very mature issues such as death and revenge in Persona 3.

It is rare for a lead or main character to be that young, and then deal with the mature themes often presented in games like these, but it does happen.
#28skp_16Posted 11/6/2012 1:31:52 PM
Wait...Oliver is 13?! I thought he's only around 10!
#29Bishop_SasaraiPosted 11/6/2012 5:44:38 PM
skp_16 posted...

That's what I thought too, initially.
---
#30pokemon_45_79_1Posted 11/7/2012 11:03:25 AM
From: Bishop_Sasarai | Posted: 11/6/2012 4:44:38 PM | #029
skp_16 posted...

That's what I thought too, initially.
---

13 or 10 either is fine with me, he looks 13 more.
---
Ryoma / Sora / Naruto / Luffy / Ginta
Young heroes between the ages of 12-17 make RPG and other video games better then older heroes 18-21 and over.