The debates about this being a "kiddy" game

#51Bishop_SasaraiPosted 11/20/2012 11:05:27 AM
I guess Grave of the Fireflies is kiddy.
---
Anticipating the following: Ni No Kuni (PS3), MGR: Revengeance (PS3), Tales of Xillia (PS3), MGS: GZ (PS3)
#52DrightM10Posted 11/20/2012 11:43:59 PM
gangster4lifeyo posted...
Yes it won't have huge-breasted girls in tight outfits or gore. What we've been saying all along is if that's what you want, don't play the game.

Where did I say I wanted this???? Please do not put words in my mouth.
e
It's ironic because people here are claiming I'm not reading posts. But then people create these arguments out of thin air claiming that I want big-breasted girls for a game to be mature (even though irl I'm actually a gay male).

I do not want scantily-clad women. I do not want gore. I do not want any other stereotypical thing that gives a game a fake "mature" luster. I guess the best example of what I want is a game in the style of Lost Odyssey. That game didn't screw around - it was visceral and dealt with a myriad of mature themes. And it did so without skanks and gore.

First, you are putting words in his mouth. He clearly wasn't referencing you specifically in regards to the quote. Second, I guess graphics are how we judge a game now, rather than content. Certainly if you want a realistic looking game thats fine. But you'd think judging a game based off of content would be more appropriate. Don't judge a book by its cover clearly applies here, oh no the graphics arent realistic and cartoony, thus the themes portrayed by the story and how they are expressed are obviously childish. Kinda narrowminded, much like the majority of the populace fear that gay marriage would somehow undermine straight marriage. Obviously if you prefer your graphics a certain way thats fine. But dont complain about the way a game deals with its themes based off its graphics.
#53darkzero16Posted 11/21/2012 6:18:07 PM(edited)
I have read the posts and everything I'm reading / hearing points to this being a game for kids. The Japanese commercials even feature pre-pubescent children. Not to mention Oliver being a thirteen-year-old boy even though you guys keep claiming that Oliver is such an original and amazing character.

My main problem here is that CS Lewis quote constantly thrown in my face. Just because people can enjoy childish things doesn't mean people always have to play childish games. Sometimes people want games with more substance and there's nothing wrong with that. That's why there are so many games in existence......because people like different things. So please stop pretending that EVERYONE who likes JRPGs can and should enjoy this game - such a sentiment is ridiculous.

Thing is by how you worded this you are judging its substance base on how the game looks and the age of its protagonist. Just play the game and find out. Not sure if its for you.....leave it. You can borrow/rent ect the game later at your convenience.

EDIT: Didn't see a page 2. >_< got beat to it. Oh well it was longer and hit the mark better anyway
---
"Nobody wants to be educated and nobody wants to educate, yet everyone wants to have a vibrant opinion" - digidevilwil
#54BreyantPosted 11/22/2012 11:11:36 AM
The thing that makes me think it's a kiddy game is that in the JP version, every single kanji has furigana over it, explaining how to read it. I actually thought about importing since it would probably help me learn Japanese but meh, the English release is so close.

That said, I can't wait for the game! I'm in my late 20s but I still love cartoons and video games and fantasy and all that stuff I'm supposedly too old to enjoy!
#55EgHeadFoolPosted 11/22/2012 4:38:16 PM
Breyant posted...
The thing that makes me think it's a kiddy game is that in the JP version, every single kanji has furigana over it, explaining how to read it. I actually thought about importing since it would probably help me learn Japanese but meh, the English release is so close.

Again, there is a different between "enjoyable by kids" and "kiddy." In this case the presence of furigana really has no bearing on the actual content of the game. The language used is often complex and difficult. It's basically like calling a game kiddy because it has subtitles. The entire Mother (Earthbound) series is written without kanji. However in that case the actual point was to make dialog feel more spoken (hence sound-based kana). So actually the end-of-chapter summaries from Mother 3 or the coffee break scrolling text did have kanji because it wasn't dialogue.