IGN Review of Ni No Kuni: 9,4 (Amazing)

#81PFireflyPosted 1/15/2013 5:49:01 PM(edited)
OEIO999 posted...

I know IGN gave it a good review, that's what I was trying to get at. Journey to me, was all visuals and not nearly enough content, which by my account is the main purpose of a GAME. For a nice example, look at FFXIII, when it came out it was all the rave, both negative and positive. Did it have good visuals? Sure, although im not into that anime/otaku-whatever they had going. But the game content had been reduced to a fraction of what the console has to offer and RPGs in general should contain. If all games adapted this kind of intense visual surreality, I'd have to give up games altogether. Because if I wanted to embrace life for all its beauty, going outside would do me just fine (or head to an art gallery, lol like that will ever happen).

BtW I was just using that metaphor as a simple example, which clearly escaped some people. 90 minutes? Really, that's where you base your aggrevation from, poor show.

I didn't say you didn't know IGN gave Journey a good review, I was pointing out that for once they gave a review that a majority agreed with. So using it as an example against IGN was a poor one. Nor did I single out the "90 minutes" thing either. I made counter points to all the parts of your post.

You're welcome to your own opinion of Journey. My point is that you chose a poor example to discredit them, were trolling needlessly, and I also made some counter points to your gross oversimplification of (which essentially amounted to lying about) Journey.

Lastly, if you had played, or done any research on, his past games you would have known exactly what to expect from Journey. You could have then saved whatever time/money you feel you wasted on it.
---
Alice returns in 2011, I'll be ready... http://www.ea.com/alice
Inception ending spoiler: http://twitpic.com/26k9ub
#82MuflagginPosted 1/15/2013 6:38:52 PM
the only people who dont say xenoblade is the best jrpg this gen are the ones that have either

a)Played ffxiii
b)dont have a wii
c)couldn't find it..

People really need to shut the **** up about Xenoblade. I'm playing it now and enjoying it, but it's annoying the way people talk about it.

Maybe...just maybe...there are people that don't think the game is the greatest thing ever or even the best RPG ever (guess what? it's not).
---
"In the real world. You see that's where most people live and that's where Lara Croft is more well-known than Mario." - LuminescentRule
#83MuflagginPosted 1/15/2013 6:39:45 PM
PFirefly posted...
OEIO999 posted...
Lol, IGN

One word, Journey. A.k.a 90 minutes in an art gallery

Um, no. IGN was only one of dozens of sites that gave Journey high marks. 90 minutes is the time it takes if you rush through as fast as you can, ignoring the fact that because it generally takes 3-4 hours a lot of people enjoy playing through it multiple times (I've played through 20+). And calling it an "art gallery" is just being obtuse. Just because it's a gorgeous game, doesn't make it an art gallery, unless any game you play with lush panoramic views is just an "art gallery."

All in all, a poor example of whatever you thought you were proving.

IGN has had plenty of crappy reviews, and has little to no credibility with informed gamers. So all this score will do is drum up some well deserved interest. The score just happens to be inline with the main consensus for a change. A broken clock is right twice a day, etc.

Why not post that point instead of trolling?

Journey and thatgamecompany in general want to redefined what a 'game' is and they do a damn good job at it.

They redefined it into hipster, nonsense. Congrats guys.
---
"In the real world. You see that's where most people live and that's where Lara Croft is more well-known than Mario." - LuminescentRule
#84OEIO999Posted 1/15/2013 7:17:51 PM
PFirefly posted...
OEIO999 posted...

I know IGN gave it a good review, that's what I was trying to get at. Journey to me, was all visuals and not nearly enough content, which by my account is the main purpose of a GAME. For a nice example, look at FFXIII, when it came out it was all the rave, both negative and positive. Did it have good visuals? Sure, although im not into that anime/otaku-whatever they had going. But the game content had been reduced to a fraction of what the console has to offer and RPGs in general should contain. If all games adapted this kind of intense visual surreality, I'd have to give up games altogether. Because if I wanted to embrace life for all its beauty, going outside would do me just fine (or head to an art gallery, lol like that will ever happen).

BtW I was just using that metaphor as a simple example, which clearly escaped some people. 90 minutes? Really, that's where you base your aggrevation from, poor show.

I didn't say you didn't know IGN gave Journey a good review, I was pointing out that for once they gave a review that a majority agreed with. So using it as an example against IGN was a poor one. Nor did I single out the "90 minutes" thing either. I made counter points to all the parts of your post.

You're welcome to your own opinion of Journey. My point is that you chose a poor example to discredit them, were trolling needlessly, and I also made some counter points to your gross oversimplification of (which essentially amounted to lying about) Journey.

Lastly, if you had played, or done any research on, his past games you would have known exactly what to expect from Journey. You could have then saved whatever time/money you feel you wasted on it.

"Um, no. IGN was only one of dozens of sites that gave Journey high marks. 90 minutes is the time it takes if you rush through as fast as you can, ignoring the fact that because it generally takes 3-4 hours a lot of people enjoy playing through it multiple times (I've played through 20+). And calling it an "art gallery" is just being obtuse. Just because it's a gorgeous game, doesn't make it an art gallery, unless any game you play with lush panoramic views is just an "art gallery."

This pretty much covers how you went about dealing with my 'discredit' of this game. And yeah it was oversimplified, four worded sentences tend to be (also it was a metaphor). If you wanted me to clarify further, all you had to do was ask instead making a big deal out of it. Not that it matters anymore, because I did clarify it.

Also I think you failed to heed the context of my argument, that is I was arguing IGN once again failed to recognise the true value of games. Ignoring the fact they may have jumped on the wagon of making hipster choices. If i have to explain it completely then here it is, i think IGN made the mistake of promoting this 'game' (GOTY e.t.c.), this may or may not reflect how future games are made, but if it does than it'd be a sad time for gamers.

Also the last paragraph has absolutely nothing to do with anything, involving this argument.
#85ZEOPOWER6Posted 1/15/2013 7:20:17 PM
Muflaggin posted...
They redefined it into hipster, nonsense. Congrats guys.

Seriously, wtf? Go away, Regina George.
#86PFireflyPosted 1/15/2013 7:37:07 PM
OEIO999 posted...
"Um, no. IGN was only one of dozens of sites that gave Journey high marks. 90 minutes is the time it takes if you rush through as fast as you can, ignoring the fact that because it generally takes 3-4 hours a lot of people enjoy playing through it multiple times (I've played through 20+). And calling it an "art gallery" is just being obtuse. Just because it's a gorgeous game, doesn't make it an art gallery, unless any game you play with lush panoramic views is just an "art gallery."

This pretty much covers how you went about dealing with my 'discredit' of this game. And yeah it was oversimplified, four worded sentences tend to be (also it was a metaphor). If you wanted me to clarify further, all you had to do was ask instead making a big deal out of it. Not that it matters anymore, because I did clarify it.

Also I think you failed to heed the context of my argument, that is I was arguing IGN once again failed to recognise the true value of games. Ignoring the fact they may have jumped on the wagon of making hipster choices. If i have to explain it completely then here it is, i think IGN made the mistake of promoting this 'game' (GOTY e.t.c.), this may or may not reflect how future games are made, but if it does than it'd be a sad time for gamers.

Also the last paragraph has absolutely nothing to do with anything, involving this argument.

If you fail to take the paragraph as a whole, or lend special weight to a specific portion when I certainly didn't, that's your own lookout. I explained precisely what was intended, but obviously not in simple enough terms. Again, using how IGN treated Journey is a poor example of their failings as a review site since the majority had similar assessments.

Btw, by definition, a hipster choice would be to not award Journey since it was a mainstream success, promoted almost universally across the gaming community. Which is the anti-thesis of what it is to be a hipster.

I can accept your dislike of journey. Why then do you pretend to represent all gamers by saying Journey having a future impact on other titles as being bad for all gamers rather than just yourself?
---
#87OEIO999Posted 1/15/2013 8:01:51 PM
PFirefly posted...

If you fail to take the paragraph as a whole, or lend special weight to a specific portion when I certainly didn't, that's your own lookout. I explained precisely what was intended, but obviously not in simple enough terms. Again, using how IGN treated Journey is a poor example of their failings as a review site since the majority had similar assessments.

Btw, by definition, a hipster choice would be to not award Journey since it was a mainstream success, promoted almost universally across the gaming community. Which is the anti-thesis of what it is to be a hipster.

I can accept your dislike of journey. Why then do you pretend to represent all gamers by saying Journey having a future impact on other titles as being bad for all gamers rather than just yourself?

I was arguing that you made a big deal out of me saying '90 mins', which I highlighted again for your clarification. What does 'weight to specific portions' have to do with anything?

My hipster statement was made by the reviewers themselves. And I can remember only three people/companies who have acknowledged this game as being great (IGN, Gamespot, TotalHaild although he always makes random choices). And the others I have seen, didnt favour this game too highly, (VGA, Insidegaming, Mchinima, AngryJoe, Escapistmag e.t.c).

I am not pretending to represent anyone, I am speaking for myself as a gamer. But you haven't yet to make any comments as to how Journey actually contributes to the gaming, besides I guess the aesthetic visuals?
#88ZEOPOWER6Posted 1/15/2013 8:04:24 PM
OEIO999 posted...
I am not pretending to represent anyone, I am speaking for myself as a gamer. But you haven't yet to make any comments as to how Journey actually contributes to the gaming, besides I guess the aesthetic visuals?

It's an emotional thing, not just beauty. That game has made people cry and feel things that they normally don't feel after playing games.
#89PFireflyPosted 1/15/2013 8:22:07 PM
OEIO999 posted...

I was arguing that you made a big deal out of me saying '90 mins', which I highlighted again for your clarification. What does 'weight to specific portions' have to do with anything?

My hipster statement was made by the reviewers themselves. And I can remember only three people/companies who have acknowledged this game as being great (IGN, Gamespot, TotalHaild although he always makes random choices). And the others I have seen, didnt favour this game too highly, (VGA, Insidegaming, Mchinima, AngryJoe, Escapistmag e.t.c).

I didn't make a big deal out of 90 minutes, you did by acting like I was. I made counter points to all three bits of nonsense, not just that one.

N4G, metacritic, or even on gfaqs you can see an extensive list of reviews for any given game. If you use any or all of those options you can see that Journey was almost universally praised, and not some hipster move by IGN.

AS far as representing only yourself, I would like to draw you attention to this line: " this may or may not reflect how future games are made, but if it does than it'd be a sad time for gamers." You say for gamers. Not you, or even gamers that don't like that kind of game, but gamers. That implies all gamers, which is why I said anything about it. If you'd ended that sentence two words earlier I wouldn't even be talking about it right now.

As far as dicussing how Journey contributes, that's a whole other kettle of fish and not the purpose of the NNK boards. I only commented on Journey being a poor choice for anti-IGN sentiments, refute your simplifications of Journey, and try to get you to understand that you hadn't proven the point you were trying to make about IGN and instead were simply trolling.
---
#90squalledd(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2013 8:22:21 PM
OEIO999 posted...

Oh my.. Have u played Journey your self?

That's a very emotional games.

Journey become top 10 one of the greatest games i've played till now.