I don't see the appeal..

#1Legend3000Posted 1/20/2013 9:17:43 PM
I don't get it. I don't understand what it is about this game that seems to enchant soo many people. I'm not dissing or bashing the game in any way, but why is it getting soo much love? I'm basing my opinions on the videos I have seen so far, but to me, the character looks childish, in fact, everything about this game looks very kiddy. Then I saw a pokemon-esque part to game, and it screamed out with even more childish undertones. The graphics look fantastic, but the gameplay looks very basic. Like I said, not bashing the game cuz I haven't played it, but what is it that everyone is seeing that I'm not. It looks like any other jrpg but with a very kiddy coat of paint. I want to like this game but...just not feelin it, and I LOVE rpgs.
---
"Legend3000, trolling the trolls since September 30, 2012"
#2iamrawr89Posted 1/20/2013 9:19:14 PM
Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

- C.S. Lewis
#3ZEOPOWER6Posted 1/20/2013 9:20:14 PM
Legend3000 posted...
I don't get it. I don't understand what it is about this game that seems to enchant soo many people. I'm not dissing or bashing the game in any way, but why is it getting soo much love? I'm basing my opinions on the videos I have seen so far, but to me, the character looks childish, in fact, everything about this game looks very kiddy. Then I saw a pokemon-esque part to game, and it screamed out with even more childish undertones. The graphics look fantastic, but the gameplay looks very basic. Like I said, not bashing the game cuz I haven't played it, but what is it that everyone is seeing that I'm not. It looks like any other jrpg but with a very kiddy coat of paint. I want to like this game but...just not feelin it, and I LOVE rpgs.

They have class, and you don't.

Ah, vintage Lindsay Lohan...

But seriously, if you have to ask, I don't really know why some people don't get this game.
#4Zetta-Honey-BoyPosted 1/20/2013 9:23:16 PM
game play is pretty complex actually. it starts simple, but thats only to easy the player in to the vast variety that can be found in this game. compounded with a massive world map and mounts to explore it with... their is quite alot of appeal here to those who love rpgs.

and in an era where most of the jrpgs are completely self indulgent and pretentious, that are more concerned with style over substance, its nice to see a large production that is more humble rather than trying so had to be in your face with try-hard edginess and "cool".

level 5 wanted to make a more humble story and focus on innocence of childlike wonder.

if you cant see the appeal in that, then you have no heart.
---
-choose death-
#5suzukimatsuiPosted 1/20/2013 9:25:10 PM
Hahaha another one of these this game/character is too childish topics...... If you have an issue just post in the older topics rather than create another useless topic that isn't constructive at all.
#6Legend3000(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 9:25:14 PM
I'm a 27 year old man, and I just don't see the appeal of playing as a little kid, I wanna be a badass in my games, and the main character of this game..well...I just don't see it. I've played tons of rpgs and jrpgs and the cast of characters is very important to me. Do ya at least get some cool monsters in your team eventually?
---
"Legend3000, trolling the trolls since September 30, 2012"
#7Storm83Posted 1/20/2013 9:26:08 PM
Legend3000 posted...

You say the graphics look fantastic, and that it looks like every other JRPG with a kiddy coat of paint.... and that you LOVE rpg's....maybe you should decide by watching a gameplay video up on youtube and see if you can sort your feelings and thoughts out. Im not being rude, I really mean it. Check out like the first 20 minutes or so and see if you can picture liking it? Also I take it you are not a fan of Studio Ghibli films. I myself dont understand people who dont see how awesome the game looks but then again everyone is different.
#8DBZKING1234Posted 1/20/2013 9:27:10 PM
Why don't you try the demo. It's pretty fun. I don't get why being "childish" is a problem. The main character is a kid so why wouldn't he look that way? Aside from that the game has a stylized feel to it. Doesn't make it for kids. This reminds me of how Wind Waker was received. Everyone complained about how it looked and it was one of the best titles in the series. I expect this game to be just as good regardless of the art style, which I personally think looks great.
#9Zetta-Honey-BoyPosted 1/20/2013 9:28:28 PM
Legend3000 posted...
I'm a 27 year old man, and I just don't see the appeal of playing as a little kid, I wanna be a badass in my games, and the main character of this game..well...I just don't see it. I've played tons of rpgs and jrpgs and the cast of characters is very important to me. Do ya at least get some cool monsters in your team eventually?

clearly this game isnt for you. why dont you go play final fantasy 13 instead?
surely that cast is badass enough.

main character is named LIGHTNING, surely that is pretty tough.

also, The new devil may cry is so edgy i cut myself on it. go play that.
---
-choose death-
#10Storm83Posted 1/20/2013 9:28:54 PM
DBZKING1234 posted...
Why don't you try the demo. It's pretty fun. I don't get why being "childish" is a problem. The main character is a kid so why wouldn't he look that way? Aside from that the game has a stylized feel to it. Doesn't make it for kids. This reminds me of how Wind Waker was received. Everyone complained about how it looked and it was one of the best titles in the series. I expect this game to be just as good regardless of the art style, which I personally think looks great.

^ that is how a lot of people who see the "appeal" feel.