I don't see the appeal..

#101DoctorCrabMDPosted 1/20/2013 10:05:35 PM

If we had 10000 hours by a nice cozy fire to look into each other's eyes and chat, it still wouldn't be enough

So adorable.
#102Legend3000(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 10:11:11 PM
terminal21 posted...
Legend3000 posted...
Wow, you know me soo well. /sarcasm >_>

I know that with countless Japanese livestreams and archives of livestreams (with many awesome people giving english commentary, thanks guys you helped with the wait!), and a demo, you still needed other people to make up your mind for you. That's all I need to know about you. That's plenty.

If we had 10000 hours by a nice cozy fire to look into each other's eyes and chat, it still wouldn't be enough time to completely explain to you just how little people care whether or not you like this game or will buy it.

Reading your thread has made a few more minutes tick by in the countdown to Tuesday, in every other possible way your thread is a failure.

While I do not agree with what you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it. The difference here is that I like A through Z about this game, but the letters C, E, and G not so much. I liked a lot of things about this game before making this topic, and I wanted to know what other peoples perspectives of the cast were. I was almost sold on this game despite some design choices I didn't like, but a few mature responses actually gave me a different outlook of those said choices. So I'm going to give it a rent at least. I will however say that I could've chosen my words better when I opened this topic. I can however see where you're coming from though.
---
"Legend3000, trolling the trolls since September 30, 2012"
#103the_requiemPosted 1/20/2013 10:39:18 PM
Studio Ghibli is like Pixar of Anime, only way better. This game has same appeal as Pixar movies like Toy Story etc. which being, a mature handling of mature themes in a kid-friendly setting.

Childlike and childish are two very different things. Mature games can be very childish, like Lollypop Chainsaw.

Ni No Kuni is about a kid dealing with his mom's death. I am not sure how many parents would consider a theme like this "childish".

BTW, just wondering TC, how old are you?
---
[PSN:wreck_em]
Borderlands 2: Maya-10, Zero-50, Axton-25, Sal-50
#104SSj7CloudSPosted 1/20/2013 10:46:03 PM
Legend3000 posted...
I'm a 27 year old man, and I just don't see the appeal of playing as a little kid, I wanna be a badass in my games, and the main character of this game..well...I just don't see it. I've played tons of rpgs and jrpgs and the cast of characters is very important to me. Do ya at least get some cool monsters in your team eventually?

Your age is irrelevant, it's all a matter of if you can appreciate what's given to you or not, the game does a fantastic job setting up a beautiful, colorful world for you to explore much like the jrpgs many people have been wanting to play for a long time now. It's very clear by your responses you don't and have an incredibly narrow mind. Please find the next God of War game to hold you over and leave.
---
Playing: Wild Arms 5, Muramasa the Demon Blade, Metroid Other M, Dragon Quest IX Sentinel of the Starry Skies.
PSN: jext77
#105Legend3000(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 10:48:19 PM
SSj7CloudS posted...
Legend3000 posted...
I'm a 27 year old man, and I just don't see the appeal of playing as a little kid, I wanna be a badass in my games, and the main character of this game..well...I just don't see it. I've played tons of rpgs and jrpgs and the cast of characters is very important to me. Do ya at least get some cool monsters in your team eventually?

Your age is irrelevant, it's all a matter of if you can appreciate what's given to you or not, the game does a fantastic job setting up a beautiful, colorful world for you to explore much like the jrpgs many people have been wanting to play for a long time now. It's very clear by your responses you don't and have an incredibly narrow mind. Please find the next God of War game to hold you over and leave.

I take it you haven't read much of this topic >_> And I'm just curious, do YOU like god of war?
---
"Legend3000, trolling the trolls since September 30, 2012"
#106Ampharos64Posted 1/20/2013 10:51:53 PM
Legend3000 posted...
So if Barbie pony island adventure came out and was hailed by everyone as an amazing must have game, would you play it and be okay with the fact that the main character is a girls childhood idol? EVEN IF the game was overall really good? If y'all are okay playing as a small child for a massive game more power to ya, but I can't bring myself to do that.

I played Barbie Horse Adventures, and I liked it. Well, I am a girl, but since I'm really not a 'girly' girl and never liked Barbie or pink, what was more relevant was the fact that I love horses. So, since my Barbie-obsessed sister had it, I played it, despite the Barbie-coated exterior, and found it actually quite a fun game for what it was trying to be. That's the thing - Ni no Kuni is what it is trying to be. It's meant to appeal to those who enjoy Studio Ghibli's films, which often have fairytale elements and atmosphere, and a coming-of-age narrative. So, as it's not trying to be the story of a super-tough warrior who slays fifty dragons everyday before breakfast, it features a young boy as the protagonist. I'm sure you might agree that gaming would be more boring of it was all one or the other, only older tough protagonists or only child protagonists, variety is generally a good thing. It's about Oliver's journey, as a young boy who has lost his mother, which to me seems a pretty strong hook for a narrative. Pixar movies are probably a good comparison - a lot of adults found Up very touching (I cried), and it's the same with Ghibli films. Some themes, loss, love, are universal, and can move you regardless of your age.

Have you tried the demo? I'll warn you that unlike the full game, it doesn't really explain what to do, though, just throws you right in.
#107the_requiemPosted 1/20/2013 11:35:44 PM(edited)
Yeah, couldn't read through it all as what I had to say was based off your first post. As for me playing God Of War: http://us.gamespot.com/users/the_requiem/ Though I don't play FPSes [Borderlands and Far Cry 3 being exceptions to rule, and Half Life]

I like different games for different reasons, just as I like different movies for different reasons. I mentioned age coz younger gamers tend to be more obsessed with kiddish looks etc. which I find really ironic when I see them lap up games like Lollipop Chainsaw. As you play more and more games, you tend to appreciate different genres and themes for what they are.

BTW, am 33.
#108terminal21Posted 1/20/2013 11:01:46 PM(edited)
the_requiem posted...
Ni No Kuni is about a kid dealing with his mom's death. I am not sure how many parents would consider a theme like this "childish".

I am 35 and a parent of 3 boys, our oldest is 6 and will be playing the game with me, he likes to play a little and mostly read the strategy guide and direct me where to go next. My wife and I had a long talk about whether or not we should let him watch the first part where the mother dies. I'm still not entirely sure if I will have him watch the beginning but I would definitely say there's nothing "kiddie" or "childish" about the death of a parent, regardless of the graphical style.
#109EtroAnimePosted 1/20/2013 11:10:07 PM
I like what happened here. The growth of interest from Legend and a few mature responses from some members were great to read. Glad you will give the game a chance TC. Now, all this talk about Ni no Kuni makes me want to watch "The Witches" for some reason.
---
Waiting for: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
PSN ID: Rammel29
#110ZeldiasPosted 1/20/2013 11:11:22 PM
The people who sweat aesthetics to this degree weird me out. You hear this in the fighting game community a lot: "I can't play Arcana Heart, it's nothing but girls," "I can't play Skullgirls, I need to play men in fighting games," and all this crap. Does it matter that much? I have been put off by the aesthetic of a game before (Blue Dragon comes to mind), but what's more important is actually playing the game, isn't it? It just smacks of judging books by covers.

I'd be more understanding if it was something like "I worry that Oliver is going to express stupid childlike sentiments," or something like that (and believe me, I'd understand, I freaking hate children), but then I'd just point you to some Studio Ghibli work like Grave of the Fireflies, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, and so on. That's what's really reassuring me; I like the classic vibe of the game and I trust Level 5 and Studio Ghibli to deliver a compelling narrative with it's cast. I actually spent months thinking Spirited Away was going to be stupid crap because it was about some dumb little girl until I finally set down and gave it about 30 minutes to impress me.

I dunno. This sounds to me like saying you don't understand how people love Howl because you find the language obscene. While, on one hand, I can understand being hesitant over surface aesthetics, I gotta say that I think it's valuable to endeavor to look past that and see if the actual game is worthwhile. Ginsberg was graphic, but Howl is an incredible piece of work that did a lot for poetry. I'm not saying Ni No Kuni is gonna change the landscape of JRPGs, but it might be a lot more engaging than you can expect. It might be more serious, more interesting, and bearing more depth than you're willing to consider just because you dislike the paint job.

And just in case it turns out to be some stupid piece of absurdity like Blue Dragon did (great gameplay but the cutscenes and characters made me want to break the hands of every writer involved in that travesty called a narrative), hopefully you'll have borrowed it from a friend or rented it through Gamefly or something and won't be out too much. Plus you'll get to be confirmed in your beliefs, which always feels nice.
---
Look! The East is burning red!