I don't see the appeal..

#111D Ray300Posted 1/21/2013 12:28:13 AM
I would just like to say that Grave of the Fireflies (one of the early Ghibli films) had a similar animation style, stars a 14 year old child, was made for children (was originally shown in a double feature with Totoro), and is in no way a childish movie. It is one of the most profoundly moving war films, and is listed on Roger Ebert's "Great Movies" list. I have friends who refuse to watch the entirety of this movie because it is so depressing.

Ni No Kuni similarly has a young protagonist, a similar artistic styles, and was made for children, but is not childish. The idea that things made for children can be enjoyed only by children is ridiculous (and probably motivated by the insane amount of crap made for children in the US).
#112AmplifyPosted 1/21/2013 12:42:54 AM
I'm quite perplexed by the idea of adults avoiding childlike things. It seems like most people who are above the age of 20 actually appreciate things that reminiscent of childhood, it was a good time.

I spend my workday literally punching humans in the face and trying to break their bones, so I get enough of being a "badass" or whatever, there's really isn't anything I want more ina video game right now than complex gameplay wrapped in a light-hearted, but worthwhile plot.
#113D Ray300Posted 1/21/2013 12:46:11 AM
Just a note, parts of the plot are definitely not light hearted. I mean the game starts with a 13 year old boy loosing his mother.
#114DoctorCrabMDPosted 1/21/2013 12:47:10 AM
D Ray300 posted...
Just a note, parts of the plot are definitely not light hearted. I mean the game starts with a 13 year old boy loosing his mother.

And then the boy cries into his dolly like a big baby.
#115suzukimatsuiPosted 1/21/2013 12:51:32 AM
DoctorCrabMD posted...
D Ray300 posted...

And then the boy cries into his dolly like a big baby.

Well how would a 13 year old normally react to the death of their only remaining parent?
#116immortaltech6Posted 1/21/2013 12:57:59 AM
Amplify posted...
I'm quite perplexed by the idea of adults avoiding childlike things. It seems like most people who are above the age of 20 actually appreciate things that reminiscent of childhood, it was a good time.

I spend my workday literally punching humans in the face and trying to break their bones, so I get enough of being a "badass" or whatever, there's really isn't anything I want more ina video game right now than complex gameplay wrapped in a light-hearted, but worthwhile plot.

Yup, the art style and the light nature of it all is exactly what I felt gaming needed. There's been so much emphasis placed on reality-based plots, environments, textures, character designs, architecture, physics etc that its lead to an over-abundance of FPS's and darker, grittier color palettes. This is an excellent change of pace and somewhat counterbalances all of the post-apocalyptic games of late.
#117VanilleHopenPosted 1/21/2013 1:02:06 AM
i dont get the appeal either, the graphics are childish, the story is generic, the battle system is a blatant mimicrey of star ocean ..

and is it just me or does the title sound a little racist?

ni no KUNI wrath of the WHITE witch.... ?? really level 5?
---
Hope misses Vanille's smile :(.
#118pokemon_45_79_1Posted 1/21/2013 1:04:36 AM
Name sounds fine to me, and atmosphere is fine as well to me.

Name doesn't sound racistFrom: immortaltech6 | Posted: 1/20/2013 11:57:59 PM | #116
Amplify posted...

Yup, the art style and the light nature of it all is exactly what I felt gaming needed. There's been so much emphasis placed on reality-based plots, environments, textures, character designs, architecture, physics etc that its lead to an over-abundance of FPS's and darker, grittier color palettes. This is an excellent change of pace and somewhat counterbalances all of the post-apocalyptic games of late.

Agree with this.
---
Ryoma / Sora / Naruto / Luffy / Ginta
Young heroes between the ages of 12-17 make RPG and other video games better then older heroes 18-21 and over.
#119suzukimatsuiPosted 1/21/2013 1:14:51 AM
VanilleHopen posted...
i dont get the appeal either, the graphics are childish, the story is generic, the battle system is a blatant mimicrey of star ocean ..

Now why are you making this an issue of racism now? This just proves that you are nothing more than a troll trying to create an issue out of something that really isnt
#120VanilleHopenPosted 1/21/2013 1:20:14 AM
suzukimatsui posted...
VanilleHopen posted...

Now why are you making this an issue of racism now? This just proves that you are nothing more than a troll trying to create an issue out of something that really isnt

i'm not saying they made the title with racist intent... im just saying when you sound it out.. well.
---
Hope misses Vanille's smile :(.