I don't see the appeal..

#131PID_LL_PPPosted 1/21/2013 2:54:48 AM
Part 5

Legend3000 posted...

I've decided to give this game a chance, but it's not just the mere fact that I'm playing as a kid that turned me off from this game, but the design of said kid. Games like pokemon don't bother me because at least I can make a team of cool looking pokemon. I feel like they didn't even try with this games main character, let's just make a child, put a plain shirt on him, put some shorts on him and call it a day.

Repeats topic starter. Equates a plain shirt and shorts to be generic and dismisses design without being able to produce anything more or less generic for reference. Also generic != plain clothing one could equally say that the fact that there isn't excessive "Bad ass" clothing as a non-generic feature but that just aesthetic opinion the real issue is that you appear to also imply that they are just booking it by inserting the phrase "call it a day" which can easily turn into another goading statement others will pick up on your thinly veiled bashing.

Legend3000 posted...
Fa1nTy posted...
I wonder if the haters on this board skipped the masterpiece that is Grandia 1 because the main characters were essentially 8-14 year olds.

I know you're not referring to me in that statement, cuz I'm not a hater. I want to like this game and will hold judgement to it as a whole until I play it myself. The graphics are amazing, and I wouldn't be surprised if the music is great aswell. I never bashed this game just gave my opinion on how I fealt about the main character and how it detracts from the experience for me. I played Grandia 1 by the way..it was meh.

Later you said "Not bashing the game as a whole, I just dislike some of the child like design choices they made." + at the start you said "I'm not dissing or bashing the game IN ANY WAY" (Emphasis mine) is exactly what sets people into thinking your hating without using the exact words.

Repeat regular statements, off hand responses, ...

Legend3000 posted...
Storm83 posted...
To be fair i dont think hes a hater like some of the other people such as VanilleHopen or even DrCrabbyMD that I have seen who do nothing but complain and provoke arguments. I think hes just saying he wishes that they made him appear differently, as well as the cast, thats all. I can kind of understand what he means, although the look of Oliver grew on me real quick. If they took the cape away and just had him in tan capris and a white shirt I would think he could look better. To me though the red cape, blue shirt, green necklace thingy and wand looks cool for him...Im glad he will atleast give it a shot and he agreed the graphics look dope ( =

That's EXACTLY what I'm saying! It's not like I'm going on rants completely dissing this game and everything about it. I gave an opinion that many people on here didn't like and got a less than stellar response from the community. Says a lot about the people who replied to me with negativity.

I don't think they are not responding in kind a lot of your wording is specifically designed to promote negative responses. Instead you name the topic to draw people in and respond with contradictory statements and various other telling signs as described previously.
#132PID_LL_PPPosted 1/21/2013 2:55:44 AM
Part 6

Legend3000 posted...
Wiseman4545 posted...
Too many people have been coming around trying to dismiss this game as "childish" and "for little kids". If that wasn't your intention I would have chosen my words more carefully, as you just put people on the defensive.

Here's the thing, I'm not so ignorant as to dismiss that different people have different opinions. I realize that what I see as childish may not look that way to others. But I did not diss this game and if for some reason I came off as a close minded individual well that was not my intention, I was trying to point out my tastes in video games and that I felt the character design was bland. There are plenty of game that have kids as the main characters that don't look generic like this one, but hopefully I can grow to like the main character through narrative and story and surpass my bias. Never said this game was for kids nor did I imply that those that play this are childish, that was from everyone making assumptions and getting defensive because of their love of this game. Pretty much they put their own meaning into my words and took it as a personal attack on their tastes.

I think you are quick to dismiss or at least redirect on two instances instead of responding to a valid and simple non-bashing question like what is so generic or why did you not post in similar topics. Again you repeat the statements from the top which you already accidentally contradicted later. Classic defense that everyone is against him and he is the only sane one other than a few select known trolls and sane people who can't be goaded directly.

Legend3000 posted...
Lordrv posted...
Legend, for what's it worth, you remind me of my douchebag friends from my youth that wouldn't play Yoshi's Island 'cause it had 'kiddy' graphics and baby Mario. Go **** yourself brah.

:O lol but...I love Mario.. LMAO

Lack of English
#133PID_LL_PPPosted 1/21/2013 2:56:49 AM
Part 7

Legend3000 posted...
Wiseman4545 posted...
Wiseman4545 posted...
Too many people have been coming around trying to dismiss this game as "childish" and "for little kids". If that wasn't your intention I would have chosen my words more carefully, as you just put people on the defensive.

Here's the thing, I'm not so ignorant as to dismiss that different people have different opinions. I realize that what I see as childish may not look that way to others. But I did not diss this game and if for some reason I came off as a close minded individual well that was not my intention, I was trying to point out my tastes in video games and that I felt the character design was bland. There are plenty of game that have kids as the main characters that don't look generic like this one, but hopefully I can grow to like the main character through narrative and story and surpass my bias. Never said this game was for kids nor did I imply that those that play this are childish, that was from everyone making assumptions and getting defensive because of their love of this game. Pretty much they put their own meaning into my words and took it as a personal attack on their tastes.

You didn't make the comment about the designs being "bland" until pretty late into the conversation. You started off with just calling it "childish" and that put everyone on the defensive as that's a very loaded word.

It may have just been a misunderstanding on everyone's part, but much of the start of this topic does sound like you don't understand how an adult could like a game like this.

That is your perspective and you have every right to it. So if I sounded like a dousche that was looking down on others for liking this game then that is what it was for you, however I'm telling you straight up that's not what I meant. I agree with you though that looking back at it I could've chose my words better.

Saying that your statements could easily be perceived as being "like a dousche" then saying "straight up that's not what" you meant doesn't make you not "like a dousche". If you talk like a troll then people will think and react as if you were a troll regardless of what you think you are doing. If you don't want to be considered "like a dousche" then don't act like one, it is very simple and we will see how things continue onwards. Typically when the things go south for a troll there are various escape methods such as accusing others of being a troll, claiming you didn't mean it, ...
#134PID_LL_PPPosted 1/21/2013 2:57:48 AM
Part 8

Legend3000 posted...
immortaltech6 posted...
You create the 100th thread on the same topic, fail to read those responses, then wonder why you're getting backlash? For once, a company gives us a protaganist that breaks recent gen gaming molds and you want someone who's more contemporary? I'll make an exception and assume the words "the trolls" in your sig aren't a typo or that you aren't craving attention and give you my interpretation to help you see the appeal.

If you watched any of Ghibli's films, you'd see they're mostly younger but go through something profoundly life changing/ coming of age and ultimately universal which hearkens back to anybody's childhood. Being a viewer, it makes you reach back to those days when one had limitless imagination and connect you to that wonder. Following along that line, this game gives you someone that you can control in that context. Oliver looks that way and the world is that way because it's a fantasy world of HIS mind's creation, and being a young boy its to be expected and understood why the game's art design and elements are presented as such. That is his means of escape and dealing with a tragedy, through this second world (translation of ni no kuni). Try to understand for once and appreciate what so many people have passionately worked on for years and the reasons for why they've made the choices that ultimately led to this game's final look.

If you didn't understand any of the above, this game isn't for you.

I can see it like that. Thank you for not going in to rage mode and giving me a mature perspective on this games nature. Unlike the other 99 topics I'm not here for the attention or to piss people off. I'm not bashing this game or the people that like it. Everyone has an opinion and they have the right to have one.

Legend3000>"Unlike the other 99 topics I'm not here for the attention or to piss people off."
Legend3000>"I agree with you though that looking back at it I could've chose my words better."

suzukimatsui>"If you have an issue just post in the older topics rather than create another useless topic that isn't constructive at all."
Legend3000>"So if Barbie pony island adventure came out"
??? Don't follow how your not here do those exact two things.

"I'm not bashing this game" <!> "Not bashing the game as a whole" <!!> "I'm not dissing or bashing the game in any way"
??? Don't follow how your not bashing the game just because you don't bash everything doesn't mean your not bashing/dissing in any way what so ever.
#135PID_LL_PPPosted 1/21/2013 3:00:54 AM
Part 9
Legend3000 posted...
terminal21 posted...

Reading your thread has made a few more minutes tick by in the countdown to Tuesday, in every other possible way your thread is a failure.

While I do not agree with what you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it. The difference here is that I like A through Z about this game, but the letters C, E, and G not so much. I liked a lot of things about this game before making this topic, and I wanted to know what other peoples perspectives of the cast were. I was almost sold on this game despite some design choices I didn't like, but a few mature responses actually gave me a different outlook of those said choices. So I'm going to give it a rent at least. I will however say that I could've chosen my words better when I opened this topic. I can however see where you're coming from though.

As the thread length goes to infinity your ability to remember what you wrote decreases ever closer towards zero.

Legend3000>"The difference here is that I like A through Z about this game, but the letters C, E, and G not so much."
Legend3000>"I enjoy all types of games"
Lesson here is don't make blanket statements. (All equals A through Z and every other Unicode character in existence)

Legend3000>"I will however say that I could've chosen my words better when I opened this topic"
Also your topic name, starting post, and followups show intent even if you claim otherwise. Criminals say they didn't mean it afterwards but that doesn't change the original motive.

Legend3000 posted...
SSj7CloudS posted...
Legend3000 posted...
I'm a 27 year old man, and I just don't see the appeal of playing as a little kid, I wanna be a badass in my games, and the main character of this game..well...I just don't see it. I've played tons of rpgs and jrpgs and the cast of characters is very important to me. Do ya at least get some cool monsters in your team eventually?

Your age is irrelevant, it's all a matter of if you can appreciate what's given to you or not, the game does a fantastic job setting up a beautiful, colorful world for you to explore much like the jrpgs many people have been wanting to play for a long time now. It's very clear by your responses you don't and have an incredibly narrow mind. Please find the next God of War game to hold you over and leave.

I take it you haven't read much of this topic >_> And I'm just curious, do YOU like god of war?

Ah at it again responding with another random question. That brief admission of guilt ended quickly didn't it. Do you really expect people to read all of your words if they are responding to one post. You can't exactly say you didn't say what you posted. And you did say you "wanna be a badass in my games" that doesn't change even if you are willing to try renting it and to the company that doesn't really matter anyways. You also assume that he hasn't read it all and come to the conclusion that you are narrow minded in spite of your defensive statements.

I'm curious do you like the SU-8 2000 series or SU-8 3000 series photoresist?, harderner ratio preference?, Does the color look nice?

Done, to long did not read worthy. Would not recommend reading. Would not read again.
#136Nophoria88Posted 1/21/2013 3:26:15 AM
PID_LL_PP that was pretty good, I see people being defensive, goading and using strawman arguments all the time but I can never put it into words how you just did, so I just walk away (most times lol). Sure we all do those things sometimes, but try to keep it under control, have respect, be mindful other others and consider how you present yourself etc.

My favorite part was "As the thread length goes to infinity your ability to remember what you wrote decreases ever closer towards zero." And "Done, to long did not read worthy. Would not recommend reading. Would not read again." Lol.

That was an excellent read, thank you.
#137Pawkie07Posted 1/21/2013 3:30:18 AM
Legend3000 posted...
I don't get it. I don't understand what it is about this game that seems to enchant soo many people. I'm not dissing or bashing the game in any way, but why is it getting soo much love? I'm basing my opinions on the videos I have seen so far, but to me, the character looks childish, in fact, everything about this game looks very kiddy. Then I saw a pokemon-esque part to game, and it screamed out with even more childish undertones. The graphics look fantastic, but the gameplay looks very basic. Like I said, not bashing the game cuz I haven't played it, but what is it that everyone is seeing that I'm not. It looks like any other jrpg but with a very kiddy coat of paint. I want to like this game but...just not feelin it, and I LOVE rpgs.

I'm guessing you have never seen any Studio Ghibli movies.
#138MidgardDragon99Posted 1/21/2013 3:52:34 AM
Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

---
3DS FC: 4639-9048-2382, Wii FC: 4558-6862-5396-5206, PSN: MidgardDragon
DD Pawn: http://game.capcom.co.jp/DD/en/pawn_detail/?pf=PS3&gid=MidgardDragon
#139Spiroth_KweehhPosted 1/21/2013 5:50:29 AM(edited)
Zetta-Honey-Boy posted...
Fa1nTy posted...
I wonder if the haters on this board skipped the masterpiece that is Grandia 1 because the main characters were essentially 8-14 year olds.

grandia was awesome. Justin's had a rediculous get up... that massive floppy hat, freckles and goffy shorts... it really did a great job establishing his character and personality (im convinced he was mentally handicapped) sucha a great game with an awesome cast.

Justin was mentally handicapped lol.
Probably because he took a ton of damage from mom's USHFPA (Ultra Super Hyper Frying Pan Attck). :p

Amaaaazing game, Top 20 JRPG games of all time for me outside FINAL FANTASY and DRAGON QUEST series (I rank other JRPGs in a different leaderboard because FINAL FANTASY and DRAGON QUEST would take every spot lol, it would be unfair).

I will never forget the feeling I experienced when I finally went to "The End of the World" (:p) (one of the top moments in my 20 years gaming career), as well as the emotional breakdown Justin experiences near the end of the game (reminded me of FINAL FANTASY VI after Kefka destroys the world and the end parts of FINAL FANTASY IX with Zidane's emotional breakdown reminded me of Grandia).

Two pretty strong gaming experiences, both these parts. Especially the first for me.

---
Official Wild Chocobo of the Dissidia 012 [Duodecim]: Final Fantasy Board
Official Wild Chocobo of the Final Fantasy world
#140Spiroth_KweehhPosted 1/21/2013 6:02:01 AM
DoctorCrabMD posted...
D Ray300 posted...
Just a note, parts of the plot are definitely not light hearted. I mean the game starts with a 13 year old boy loosing his mother.

And then the boy cries into his dolly like a big baby.

Troll harder. Even 60 years old would cry for their lost mother while holding a present they received from her.

Keep trolling you freak. <_<

Btw, as I pointed out yesterday:

Board User Level 15: New User (1)
Awarded to users with at least 3 Karma.
Can create 5 topics, 50 messages per day.
Can delete own messages, close topics.
Account Created Monday, January 14, 2013 10:31 PM

Account created the same day the extremely positive reviews started to roll in, with the sole purpose (as evidenced by posting history so far) of trolling and bashing Ni No Kuni.

Another alt to the mix.
---
Official Wild Chocobo of the Dissidia 012 [Duodecim]: Final Fantasy Board
Official Wild Chocobo of the Final Fantasy world