I don't see the appeal..

#51fhsfootball74Posted 1/20/2013 10:04:39 PM
Reminds me of the Jrpgs I played on PSone as a teenager. Nothing wrong with a bit of nostalgia.
---
PSN- fhsfootball74 Nintendo Network- returnoftheryan
In SMOD we trust.
#52Legend3000(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 10:06:29 PM
Zetta-Honey-Boy posted...
Legend3000 posted...
Storm83 posted...
Seriously Legend300, all jokes aside bud. Ok you may not see the appeal. Give the game a shot and I bet it will grow on you. I honestly like the look of Oliver with the red flowing cape and his wand. I think its kinda cool to be honest.

You know what, you were seriously one of the few people here who wasn't up in arms against my viewpoint of this game, so I'm gonna take your advice. I love rpgs, so I'm going to give this game a rent when I get the chance. I'm hoping I can get past the simpleness of the characters and truly enjoy this game. I'm hopin you get some awesome looking monsters in your party eventually though.

you know what?
no, dont get the game.

i actually dont want you to get it.

i actually want you to miss out on this one.

dont get it, its obviously a baby's game and you will be judged by all your peers when they find out you like this stuff.

so please dont get it.

Wow, that's a pretty immature response there guy.
---
"Legend3000, trolling the trolls since September 30, 2012"
#53OmegaDL50Posted 1/20/2013 10:07:05 PM
The main character is a child for story purposes by the way. Oliver being 20 or so wouldn't fit with the tone of the game, especially considering Oliver's main objective, which eludes to a very large early game spoiler.

If you truly had an open mind TC, I'd actually put some time into the game and understand the characters motivations before completely writing him off based on mere appearances.
---
A fan is confident in the game they prefer being able to stand on its own merits.
A fanatic attacks the opposing game showing insecurity in the game they like.
#54Storm83Posted 1/20/2013 10:07:46 PM
Legend3000 posted...
Storm83 posted...
Seriously Legend300, all jokes aside bud. Ok you may not see the appeal. Give the game a shot and I bet it will grow on you. I honestly like the look of Oliver with the red flowing cape and his wand. I think its kinda cool to be honest.

You know what, you were seriously one of the few people here who wasn't up in arms against my viewpoint of this game, so I'm gonna take your advice. I love rpgs, so I'm going to give this game a rent when I get the chance. I'm hoping I can get past the simpleness of the characters and truly enjoy this game. I'm hopin you get some awesome looking monsters in your party eventually though.

Ok that sounds fair enough. I am not one to judge anyone so I dont want to come across as rude. I am just telling it how it is in my view. I read another topic that was just made where someone said straight up they were hating on the demo. They didnt see the big deal. They said they have been playing the game all day ( the official release) and are basically eating their own words. They admitted this and said the game has blown them away and they dont want to put it down. Honestly, yeah Oliver doesnt come across exactly like Link lets say where hes fully strapped with a bow, arrows, master sword and shield. The point is though as someone else mentioned, that I think they know what they were going for in that they made him simple and his appearance will grow on you. I dont know if that makes sense but I can tell you there are some pretty cool looking monsters that I have seen which can join your party and in all honesty the game is very charming, great graphics, beautiful world map and has a lot of other things going for it as well. I am glad you will atleast give it a shot. If you dont end up liking it just resell it as there is clearly a lot of people who will take it off your hands.
#55Zetta-Honey-BoyPosted 1/20/2013 10:08:44 PM
Legend3000 posted...
Zetta-Honey-Boy posted...
Legend3000 posted...
Storm83 posted...

you know what?
no, dont get the game.

i actually dont want you to get it.

i actually want you to miss out on this one.

dont get it, its obviously a baby's game and you will be judged by all your peers when they find out you like this stuff.

so please dont get it.

Wow, that's a pretty immature response there guy.

i got it from you.
---
-choose death-
#56Legend3000(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 10:10:38 PM
OmegaDL50 posted...
The main character is a child for story purposes by the way. Oliver being 20 or so wouldn't fit with the tone of the game, especially considering Oliver's main objective, which eludes to a very large early game spoiler.

If you truly had an open mind TC, I'd actually put some time into the game and understand the characters motivations before completely writing him off based on mere appearances.

I've decided to give this game a chance, but it's not just the mere fact that I'm playing as a kid that turned me off from this game, but the design of said kid. Games like pokemon don't bother me because at least I can make a team of cool looking pokemon. I feel like they didn't even try with this games main character, let's just make a child, put a plain shirt on him, put some shorts on him and call it a day.
---
#57zeik56Posted 1/20/2013 10:11:04 PM
zeik56 posted...
Yes, an opinion can actually be wrong when it's based on factually inaccurate information. Calling this game "childish" simply because the main character is a child is in fact wrong. The fact that you play as a child may not appeal to you and even be enough to turn you away from the game, and that's your business, but your description is still wrong.

WOW REALLY? XD so opinions can now be wrong...lol It's not just the main character that makes this game feel childish, it's the supporting cast and enemies as well. It all looks like something from a children's book, (which is what this game is trying to portray anyways!) Not bashing the game as a whole, I just dislike some of the child like design choices they made. It almost seems like you are trying really hard to convince yourself that this game isn't childish...but you would have to be ABSOLUTELY BLIND to see no trace of child like undertones IN A GAME ABOUT A CHILD'S JOURNEY. Just like I suspected...troll.

Child-like undertones=/=childish.

There is a difference, and that's the point I'm making. Using your earlier example, Barbie is "childish". It's a product for children. It's designed to appeal to children.

Ni no Kuni's "child-like undertones" are not designed to appeal to children. They could appeal to children, but it is designed to appeal to anyone of any age. (With an open enough mind.)
---
~Mirror, mirror, on my floor, am I the prettiest at the store?
#58zeik56Posted 1/20/2013 10:12:11 PM
I've decided to give this game a chance, but it's not just the mere fact that I'm playing as a kid that turned me off from this game, but the design of said kid. Games like pokemon don't bother me because at least I can make a team of cool looking pokemon. I feel like they didn't even try with this games main character, let's just make a child, put a plain shirt on him, put some shorts on him and call it a day.

What do you think he should look like?
---
~Mirror, mirror, on my floor, am I the prettiest at the store?
#59Zetta-Honey-BoyPosted 1/20/2013 10:12:32 PM
Legend3000 posted...
OmegaDL50 posted...

how many kids you see wearing full plate mail armor?

or should he be covered head to toe with belts and zippers?
---
-choose death-
#60Legend3000(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 10:12:51 PM
Storm83 posted...
Legend3000 posted...
Storm83 posted...

Ok that sounds fair enough. I am not one to judge anyone so I dont want to come across as rude. I am just telling it how it is in my view. I read another topic that was just made where someone said straight up they were hating on the demo. They didnt see the big deal. They said they have been playing the game all day ( the official release) and are basically eating their own words. They admitted this and said the game has blown them away and they dont want to put it down. Honestly, yeah Oliver doesnt come across exactly like Link lets say where hes fully strapped with a bow, arrows, master sword and shield. The point is though as someone else mentioned, that I think they know what they were going for in that they made him simple and his appearance will grow on you. I dont know if that makes sense but I can tell you there are some pretty cool looking monsters that I have seen which can join your party and in all honesty the game is very charming, great graphics, beautiful world map and has a lot of other things going for it as well. I am glad you will atleast give it a shot. If you dont end up liking it just resell it as there is clearly a lot of people who will take it off your hands.

Awesome, just what I wanted to hear. THANK YOU
---