I don't see the appeal..

#61Fa1nTyPosted 1/20/2013 9:12:58 PM
I wonder if the haters on this board skipped the masterpiece that is Grandia 1 because the main characters were essentially 8-14 year olds.
---
PSN : Fa1nT6
Dark Souls Tips - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB557B8555A0AD36A&feature=plcp
#62Zetta-Honey-BoyPosted 1/20/2013 9:16:26 PM
Fa1nTy posted...
I wonder if the haters on this board skipped the masterpiece that is Grandia 1 because the main characters were essentially 8-14 year olds.

grandia was awesome. Justin's had a rediculous get up... that massive floppy hat, freckles and goffy shorts... it really did a great job establishing his character and personality (im convinced he was mentally handicapped) sucha a great game with an awesome cast.
---
-choose death-
#63immortaltech6Posted 1/20/2013 9:16:33 PM
Legend3000 posted...
I don't get it. I don't understand what it is about this game that seems to enchant soo many people. I'm not dissing or bashing the game in any way, but why is it getting soo much love? I'm basing my opinions on the videos I have seen so far, but to me, the character looks childish, in fact, everything about this game looks very kiddy. Then I saw a pokemon-esque part to game, and it screamed out with even more childish undertones. The graphics look fantastic, but the gameplay looks very basic. Like I said, not bashing the game cuz I haven't played it, but what is it that everyone is seeing that I'm not. It looks like any other jrpg but with a very kiddy coat of paint. I want to like this game but...just not feelin it, and I LOVE rpgs.

Then don't buy it.
#64Legend3000(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 9:17:07 PM
zeik56 posted...
zeik56 posted...
Yes, an opinion can actually be wrong when it's based on factually inaccurate information. Calling this game "childish" simply because the main character is a child is in fact wrong. The fact that you play as a child may not appeal to you and even be enough to turn you away from the game, and that's your business, but your description is still wrong.

WOW REALLY? XD so opinions can now be wrong...lol It's not just the main character that makes this game feel childish, it's the supporting cast and enemies as well. It all looks like something from a children's book, (which is what this game is trying to portray anyways!) Not bashing the game as a whole, I just dislike some of the child like design choices they made. It almost seems like you are trying really hard to convince yourself that this game isn't childish...but you would have to be ABSOLUTELY BLIND to see no trace of child like undertones IN A GAME ABOUT A CHILD'S JOURNEY. Just like I suspected...troll.

Child-like undertones=/=childish.

There is a difference, and that's the point I'm making. Using your earlier example, Barbie is "childish". It's a product for children. It's designed to appeal to children.

Ni no Kuni's "child-like undertones" are not designed to appeal to children. They could appeal to children, but it is designed to appeal to anyone of any age. (With an open enough mind.)

Your examples make absolutely no sense. Anything can be appealing to anybody. You play as a child on an adventure with a child like mascot/partner. Your friends are children. The enemies look cartoony. There are a lot of things that I have seen that appear very childish. Saying that my opinion is wrong based on something soo simple is beyond me.
---
"Legend3000, trolling the trolls since September 30, 2012"
#65zeik56Posted 1/20/2013 9:20:12 PM(edited)
Anything could potentially be appealing to anybody, but not everything is designed to appeal to anybody. There are games and products specifically designed to appeal to children. Those types of products have no intention of being sold to anyone else besides children.

Ni no Kuni is not that kind of game.
---
~Mirror, mirror, on my floor, am I the prettiest at the store?
#66Storm83Posted 1/20/2013 9:19:50 PM
To be fair i dont think hes a hater like some of the other people such as VanilleHopen or even DrCrabbyMD that I have seen who do nothing but complain and provoke arguments. I think hes just saying he wishes that they made him appear differently, as well as the cast, thats all. I can kind of understand what he means, although the look of Oliver grew on me real quick. If they took the cape away and just had him in tan capris and a white shirt I would think he could look better. To me though the red cape, blue shirt, green necklace thingy and wand looks cool for him...Im glad he will atleast give it a shot and he agreed the graphics look dope ( =
#67Legend3000(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 9:19:58 PM
Fa1nTy posted...

I know you're not referring to me in that statement, cuz I'm not a hater. I want to like this game and will hold judgement to it as a whole until I play it myself. The graphics are amazing, and I wouldn't be surprised if the music is great aswell. I never bashed this game just gave my opinion on how I fealt about the main character and how it detracts from the experience for me. I played Grandia 1 by the way..it was meh.
---
#68Zetta-Honey-BoyPosted 1/20/2013 9:20:23 PM
Legend3000 posted...
zeik56 posted...
zeik56 posted...
Yes, an opinion can actually be wrong when it's based on factually inaccurate information. Calling this game "childish" simply because the main character is a child is in fact wrong. The fact that you play as a child may not appeal to you and even be enough to turn you away from the game, and that's your business, but your description is still wrong.

WOW REALLY? XD so opinions can now be wrong...lol It's not just the main character that makes this game feel childish, it's the supporting cast and enemies as well. It all looks like something from a children's book, (which is what this game is trying to portray anyways!) Not bashing the game as a whole, I just dislike some of the child like design choices they made. It almost seems like you are trying really hard to convince yourself that this game isn't childish...but you would have to be ABSOLUTELY BLIND to see no trace of child like undertones IN A GAME ABOUT A CHILD'S JOURNEY. Just like I suspected...troll.

Child-like undertones=/=childish.

There is a difference, and that's the point I'm making. Using your earlier example, Barbie is "childish". It's a product for children. It's designed to appeal to children.

Ni no Kuni's "child-like undertones" are not designed to appeal to children. They could appeal to children, but it is designed to appeal to anyone of any age. (With an open enough mind.)

Your examples make absolutely no sense. Anything can be appealing to anybody. You play as a child on an adventure with a child like mascot/partner. Your friends are children. The enemies look cartoony. There are a lot of things that I have seen that appear very childish. Saying that my opinion is wrong based on something soo simple is beyond me.

OP, ever seen a show called wondershowzen?
---
-choose death-
#69pokemon_45_79_1Posted 1/20/2013 9:21:12 PM
Tc a few words, either get the game or don't get the game, plain and simple.
---
Ryoma / Sora / Naruto / Luffy / Ginta
Young heroes between the ages of 12-17 make RPG and other video games better then older heroes 18-21 and over.
#70Legend3000(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 9:22:49 PM
Storm83 posted...
To be fair i dont think hes a hater like some of the other people such as VanilleHopen or even DrCrabbyMD that I have seen who do nothing but complain and provoke arguments. I think hes just saying he wishes that they made him appear differently, as well as the cast, thats all. I can kind of understand what he means, although the look of Oliver grew on me real quick. If they took the cape away and just had him in tan capris and a white shirt I would think he could look better. To me though the red cape, blue shirt, green necklace thingy and wand looks cool for him...Im glad he will atleast give it a shot and he agreed the graphics look dope ( =

That's EXACTLY what I'm saying! It's not like I'm going on rants completely dissing this game and everything about it. I gave an opinion that many people on here didn't like and got a less than stellar response from the community. Says a lot about the people who replied to me with negativity.
---