I don't see the appeal..

#91Legend3000(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 9:43:24 PM
Wiseman4545 posted...
Wiseman4545 posted...
Too many people have been coming around trying to dismiss this game as "childish" and "for little kids". If that wasn't your intention I would have chosen my words more carefully, as you just put people on the defensive.

Here's the thing, I'm not so ignorant as to dismiss that different people have different opinions. I realize that what I see as childish may not look that way to others. But I did not diss this game and if for some reason I came off as a close minded individual well that was not my intention, I was trying to point out my tastes in video games and that I felt the character design was bland. There are plenty of game that have kids as the main characters that don't look generic like this one, but hopefully I can grow to like the main character through narrative and story and surpass my bias. Never said this game was for kids nor did I imply that those that play this are childish, that was from everyone making assumptions and getting defensive because of their love of this game. Pretty much they put their own meaning into my words and took it as a personal attack on their tastes.

You didn't make the comment about the designs being "bland" until pretty late into the conversation. You started off with just calling it "childish" and that put everyone on the defensive as that's a very loaded word.

It may have just been a misunderstanding on everyone's part, but much of the start of this topic does sound like you don't understand how an adult could like a game like this.

That is your perspective and you have every right to it. So if I sounded like a dousche that was looking down on others for liking this game then that is what it was for you, however I'm telling you straight up that's not what I meant. I agree with you though that looking back at it I could've chose my words better.
---
"Legend3000, trolling the trolls since September 30, 2012"
#92Storm83Posted 1/20/2013 9:55:03 PM(edited)
YOeastonYO posted...
Storm83 posted...
zeik56 posted...
"Fanboy" is such a dumb term. People just use it as a catch-all to try to dismiss everything.

I agree. I look at "fanboy" as a crutch when you dont know what else to say or how to express yourself. Let me explain that the word first of all should be used for someone who is defending something that clearly sucks. Well the game clearly doesnt suck. It has received tons of great scores, got a perfect score on RPG gamer who have only given 4 perfect scores out ever, and well its funny that people call someone a fanboy to begin with...

Unfortunately your so called definition of a fanboy is completely wrong. A fanboy is someone who has a highly devoted and/or biased opinion toward a certain subject. Something that "clearly sucks" as you say would just be an opinion, and opinions cannot be used in definitions. Sorry, but try again.

I did get a chuckle out of the whole crutch comment though. I guess some of you guys just can't except some of comments through your way from people who actually have neutral opinions toward the game. If the game is great like you think (which I too hope it is) then why would being a fanboy be a bad thing exactly?

Hey buddy get ready to look like the ignorant person you are. My Japanese friend who is my neighbor imported this game over 7 months ago. I have seen a fair amount visually, you know, with my eyes? As someone else mentioned it has been out for a year. I have seen plenty of it to know that it was going to become a hit. I dont care about your Websters dictionary definition of what a fanboy is. The word is wack and so are you. Sorry, but try again.

I also got a chuckle over your except comment though. What you meant was "accept" and like I said...I have seen the game being played for a couple hours at a time, several times. My friend imported it so when you say none of us have clearly played it and are defending it, well then think again. Im not being rude but dont come at me like you think you are going to put me in my place or something....You also hope it will be good like you said you were hoping? Well let me tell you, its not good, and Im not Tony the Tiger...but its Grrrreeeeat!
#93Legend3000(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 9:48:26 PM
terminal21 posted...
As this forum gains in popularity more people will come in making these kinds of posts.

I don't believe the TC is interested in the game nor any of the others who have made such posts. They saw the game getting popular on the front page and simply saw a place with an audience to try and stir up nonsense.

I know this is true because no reasonable person on the planet thinks "I don't like X, but it's not enough to just sit here not liking X I need to go and find some people who DO like X and tell them all about how I don't like it." Only trolls and people desperate for attention do that. Plain and simple.

Wow, you know me soo well. /sarcasm >_>
---
#94vgsrulePosted 1/20/2013 9:52:57 PM
TC, the problem is that you're treating your opinion as fact.

You say it being childish is an opinion, then go on to explain exactly why it must be childish, and that otherwise is wrong.

An opinion can be factually wrong, if it's based on facts. Saying something is your opinion does not mean "you can't argue with me". Something that has kid characters, and based on kid's adventures, does not mean it's for kids, or childish. Ever watch South Park?

You're basically insulting the people who play this game.

I don't honestly know what to say. If you don't the character design, then you don't like the design. If you think it's childish, then you think it's childish. If those things turn you off the game, the game isn't going to change. Those are fairly shallow reasons to be turned off of a game, though.
---
http://backloggery.com/khff123
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/A_Metal_Pipe
#95immortaltech6Posted 1/20/2013 9:53:55 PM
You create the 100th thread on the same topic, fail to read those responses, then wonder why you're getting backlash? For once, a company gives us a protaganist that breaks recent gen gaming molds and you want someone who's more contemporary? I'll make an exception and assume the words "the trolls" in your sig aren't a typo or that you aren't craving attention and give you my interpretation to help you see the appeal.

If you watched any of Ghibli's films, you'd see they're mostly younger but go through something profoundly life changing/ coming of age and ultimately universal which hearkens back to anybody's childhood. Being a viewer, it makes you reach back to those days when one had limitless imagination and connect you to that wonder. Following along that line, this game gives you someone that you can control in that context. Oliver looks that way and the world is that way because it's a fantasy world of HIS mind's creation, and being a young boy its to be expected and understood why the game's art design and elements are presented as such. That is his means of escape and dealing with a tragedy, through this second world (translation of ni no kuni). Try to understand for once and appreciate what so many people have passionately worked on for years and the reasons for why they've made the choices that ultimately led to this game's final look.

If you didn't understand any of the above, this game isn't for you.
#96YOeastonYOPosted 1/20/2013 10:08:46 PM(edited)
Storm83 posted...
Hey buddy get ready to look like the ignorant person you are. My Japanese friend who is my neighbor imported this game over 7 months ago. I have seen a fair amount visually, you know, with my eyes? As someone else mentioned it has been out for a year. I have seen plenty of it to know that it was going to become a hit. I dont care about your Websters dictionary definition of what a fanboy is. The word is wack and so are you. Sorry, but try again.

I never said anything about the quality, craftsmanship, artistic design, whatever you want to say about the game. I was just trying to point out how people are rediculously defending this game when the know people are going to question every aspect of it.
#97Legend3000(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 10:01:14 PM
vgsrule posted...
TC, the problem is that you're treating your opinion as fact.

You say it being childish is an opinion, then go on to explain exactly why it must be childish, and that otherwise is wrong.

An opinion can be factually wrong, if it's based on facts. Saying something is your opinion does not mean "you can't argue with me". Something that has kid characters, and based on kid's adventures, does not mean it's for kids, or childish. Ever watch South Park?

You're basically insulting the people who play this game.

I don't honestly know what to say. If you don't the character design, then you don't like the design. If you think it's childish, then you think it's childish. If those things turn you off the game, the game isn't going to change. Those are fairly shallow reasons to be turned off of a game, though.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you on a few things. I don't believe I was treating my opinion as a fact and even stated on this thread that everyone's view points are their own. In my opinion the character design seems childish. You play as a child. Regardless of how you feel THAT is enough proof to base my OPINION. In your opinion that is not enough to base an opinion. No one is wrong. And because I don't like the character design doesn't mean that I don't like the ART STYLE or I won't like the GAMEPLAY, or the STORY, ya know, the other parts that make up a game. I've played hundreds of rpgs of all different types, it's actually my favorite genre, but call me ignorant and close minded all you want to but I like my characters to have more design put into them than just a shirt and shorts. I'm going to give the game a chance regardless of how I feel about the character design because I WANT to like this game and I hope that it will be an amazing experience that I'll be glad I didn't skip out on.
---
#98terminal21Posted 1/20/2013 10:02:05 PM
Legend3000 posted...
Wow, you know me soo well. /sarcasm >_>

I know that with countless Japanese livestreams and archives of livestreams (with many awesome people giving english commentary, thanks guys you helped with the wait!), and a demo, you still needed other people to make up your mind for you. That's all I need to know about you. That's plenty.

If we had 10000 hours by a nice cozy fire to look into each other's eyes and chat, it still wouldn't be enough time to completely explain to you just how little people care whether or not you like this game or will buy it.

Reading your thread has made a few more minutes tick by in the countdown to Tuesday, in every other possible way your thread is a failure.
#99Legend3000(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 10:05:18 PM
immortaltech6 posted...
You create the 100th thread on the same topic, fail to read those responses, then wonder why you're getting backlash? For once, a company gives us a protaganist that breaks recent gen gaming molds and you want someone who's more contemporary? I'll make an exception and assume the words "the trolls" in your sig aren't a typo or that you aren't craving attention and give you my interpretation to help you see the appeal.

If you watched any of Ghibli's films, you'd see they're mostly younger but go through something profoundly life changing/ coming of age and ultimately universal which hearkens back to anybody's childhood. Being a viewer, it makes you reach back to those days when one had limitless imagination and connect you to that wonder. Following along that line, this game gives you someone that you can control in that context. Oliver looks that way and the world is that way because it's a fantasy world of HIS mind's creation, and being a young boy its to be expected and understood why the game's art design and elements are presented as such. That is his means of escape and dealing with a tragedy, through this second world (translation of ni no kuni). Try to understand for once and appreciate what so many people have passionately worked on for years and the reasons for why they've made the choices that ultimately led to this game's final look.

If you didn't understand any of the above, this game isn't for you.

I can see it like that. Thank you for not going in to rage mode and giving me a mature perspective on this games nature. Unlike the other 99 topics I'm not here for the attention or to piss people off. I'm not bashing this game or the people that like it. Everyone has an opinion and they have the right to have one.
---
#100Storm83Posted 1/20/2013 10:11:57 PM(edited)
YOeastonYO posted...
Storm83 posted...

I never said anything about the quality, craftsmanship, artistic design, whatever you want to say about the game. I was just trying to point out how people are rediculously defending this game when the know people are going to question every aspect of it.

Seriously, didn't mean to get you upset. But lets save the next accusation of one being ignorant for the C.S. Lewis quotes.

Lol fair enough. Im not upset I am just trying to tell people that they will like it even though they may have some small gripes. Better yet, I will only focus on what i like and i wont try to convince people anymore. What matter is that I like it. If others like it also cool. Other than that lets wait until it gets released and peeps have a chance to see what all the hype is about. It will either live up to the hype for everyone individually or not. I remember seeing my bro play Demons Souls when it first came out. I walked by the tv and was like "pshh what the heck is that"? "Whys it so boring looking">? "How come its so quiet?

I did this for like the first 3 weeks he was playing it. I eventually sat down and grabbed a nice cold coke and watched him play it one day until I literally had watched for an hour and ran out to buy my own copy for my PS3. My point is, I guess theres peeps defending it that have not played it, yes thats true, but I think they already know they are going to like it just based off the demo and a gameplay vid they have seen here and there. I hope some of that makes sense. Also peeps I have seen saying "Dora the explorer graphics etc" LOL umm those are the people just looking to provoke others. I love anime, I love cartoons, Im an 80's baby and I love this game. I hope everyone else ends up loving it too ( = Im done.