Ni no Kuni: Review and Debate

#1Reinsol70Posted 1/20/2013 10:38:27 PM
So, I've been following this game for awhile now, pretty much since I saw the first released screens ages ago and recall that I thought to myself: "Hot damn, Level 5 RPG with Studio Ghibli written all over the art style? I'm excited." A thought that, at the time, was shared on this Board by pretty much all posters, few as there were.

Close to the release date and I've been following some of the information floating around. The demo didn't wow me, but I played it and found myself intrigued enough to want to explore more. Exploration being the key word as it hearkened me back to my days playing Dragon Quest VIII.

Like most level headed gamers I've been keeping an open mind on this one, but I'm exceedingly disappointed with the comments I've been seeing on the boards. Especially considering the game is not even out yet.

Now I know, I know. "This is GameFAQs, and the Internet. Trololol"> however I truly believe that everyone can be more mature than they appear when asked to be. It's really not all that difficult guys and gals.

Before anyone questions it, a little background here: I'm 29 years old and have been playing RPG's as my most prominent genre-of-choice for ages; without fail. I've played the cutesy and the dark equally and have withheld judgment until I actually tried them on each account and to great effect.

Professionally I work in a corporate management position with a reputable firm; and I have no issues walking into a game-store and pricking up this game, while wearing my business clothes and all.

I guess my point of this psuedo-rant is that it seems more childish to me to openly and crassly judge a game by it's (beautiful) cover without even playing the damned thing.

To the point: I have looked at a number of reviews and glanced over the Metacritic score and this is one of the best rated games on the PS3, let alone one of the highest rated JPRG's in a long while. This reviewed by professional critics/gamers from a multitude of sources.

So, I ask you, oh honest open and mature reader (and, you know, the others) are there any valid reasons for so much hate on the game aside from the "anti-hype super troll machine™" that is GameFAQs message boards, without actually playing it? I mean, sure there's the possibility that it may bomb horribly somehow... but why discredit the game prior to release?

Thoughts/agreements/debate?
#2clo24Posted 1/20/2013 10:42:43 PM
Pretty much any new game that comes out and shows up in the top 10 list, trolls will come flocking in for w/e reason. Only very few people that post have legit reason for not liking a game.....very few, which most will leave after the game comes out.
---
http://i33.tinypic.com/28jfypz.jpg
#3zeik56Posted 1/20/2013 10:44:36 PM
"This is GameFAQs, and the Internet. Trololol"

I think that mostly sums it up.

To an extent it's probably also that there are people who don't see the appeal and are unwilling to accept that other people do, so the fact that it's getting good scores and hyped up by people is somehow offensive to them. I don't know.

I think you're kind of exaggerating the negativity though. It seems to me most people here are pretty excited, it's just that those few negative nancy's are getting a lot of attention.
---
~Mirror, mirror, on my floor, am I the prettiest at the store?
#4suikogodPosted 1/20/2013 10:45:01 PM
I suppose you could argue any complaint valid under the concept that it reflects the person's viewpoint. I feel the main issue from negative opinions stem from a person who says something that will rile a fan up, and then they respond - the dialogue continues back and forth.

I would assume it's more to get attention or to amuse themselves by working people up.

I don't mind if people don't like the game. I feel I will enjoy it and am looking forward to spending several hours with it.

We're also guilty of liberally throwing out the term "troll" when an opinion is different than our own.
---
PSN: Mr_ambig
#5D Ray300Posted 1/20/2013 10:51:37 PM
I don't think you have any reason to worry. I have played the Japanese version some and loved it (only reason I didn't play more is because I don't understand Japanese). I think the trolling is coming mostly from the following:
- This is a very Japanese game and a lot of close minded people are hating on it for that alone.
- This is an RPG so we of course get all the FPS and Sports game lover hate.
- The game has a childish appearance, and has been stated by the developers as being designed as a game that would be good for kids. While I think that children can definitely enjoy this game, it is relatively difficult, and there are a lot of deep themes and a lot of character development.
- This game has a lot of hype, so it attracts more trolls.
- This game is a PS3 exclusive, so some of the XBOX fans are trolling.
- This game has been drawing a lot of comparisons to Xenoblade (for some reason), and I think that is causing some of the trolling.
- This is GameFAQs, and people here seem to like to troll.

Here are my only real concerns with the game:
- The battle music gets a little repetitive after a while.
- Some of the end game side quests apparently have you collect several of a rare drop which can get frustrating.
- The AI characters don't always act optimally, but they are usually fairly good.
- If you are expecting an easy game where you can button mash through fights and never have to block, you will die a lot and get frustrated even easy mode (I believe this is the main cause of the low score from GI). Don't let the childish appearance fool you, this game isn't easy.
- It's apparently only 40 hours to beat the main campaign apparently, which is a little shorter than I like for JRPGs, but there are a lot of side quests, some of which are only unlocked after you beat the game.
- There is no NG+, but like I said there is post end-game content.

Overall, from my limited experience, I would give this game a solid 9.7, there are so many good things they aren't even worth listing.
#6Reinsol70(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 10:53:05 PM
I agree with what your saying Suiko, I guess my rebuttal is simply that the dislike I see for this game appears to stem from individuals fear of it's "childish nature." From the very little that I know about the story (no spoilers please) and from what I know about Studio Ghibli, I'm certain that to an extent the light-hearted visuals will hide a shadowy overtone to the plot.

I'm not trying to say that people are (or aren't) trolling the game; those who are usually make it pretty obvious.

Just looking for honest opinions why there's some hate on for this game due solely on visuals. I thought that was a lesson learned in the gaming community some time ago.

Zeik: Sorry if I appeared to be exaggerating anything; that's not my goal. The top posts when I checked the board today were focused on negativity, and many of the positive topics seemed to have a lot of negative comments within.

Personally, I hope that clo is right and that the comments disappear when the game is out so I don't have to sift through them for honest information. ^_~
#7VanilleHopenPosted 1/20/2013 10:53:18 PM
you do realize that reviews are just a couple peoples opinions and are usually copied from eachother correct??

just because the game got good scores doesn't mean it's a good or interesting game.. Most people wont even play it because it looks like dora the explorer only more anime..

this is one of those games that only is not for everybody but is not for most people..

I wouldn't reccomend this to a friend..
---
Hope misses Vanille's smile :(.
#8Reinsol70(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 10:58:45 PM
Thanks DRay; good pro/con from someone who has played the game. That sort of sums up what I was hoping to see.

Vanille: Thanks for the comments however I respectfully disagree with your opinions on all accounts. I have browsed through a number of reviews and while there are similarities in the overall comments (graphics, story, etc.) there are enough variances to tell me that (most of) these people have invested due time in the game. Also: I don't see the correlation between this game and Dora and I will assume you're being flagrant and disregard.

Still, thanks for the comment regardless. ^_^
#9VanilleHopenPosted 1/20/2013 11:00:31 PM
Reinsol70 posted...
Thanks DRay; good pro/con from someone who has played the game. That sort of sums up what I was hoping to see.

Vanille: Thanks for the comments however I respectfully disagree with your opinions on all accounts. I have browsed through a number of reviews and while there are similarities in the overall comments (graphics, story, etc.) there are enough variances to tell me that (most of) these people have invested due time in the game. Also: I don't see the correlation between this game and Dora and I will assume you're being flagrant and disregard.

at least your respectful, it's a welcome change around here.
---
Hope misses Vanille's smile :(.
#10Reinsol70(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 11:03:13 PM
VanilleHopen posted...
Reinsol70 posted...

at least your respectful, it's a welcome change around here.

Thanks! I do what I can ^_~