This quote sums up this game

#11Shabang22Posted 1/21/2013 2:44:14 AM
You must lead a very sad, empty life OP if you have nothing better to do than find joy in trolling these forums. I pity you.
#12PairedsnakePosted 1/21/2013 2:46:44 AM
PirateMoe posted...
gangster4lifeyo posted...
The guard scene in particular. Oliver giving a guard enthusiasm.

So I guess psychiatrists should tell people to stop being childish when they arrange appointments for depression?

Because you know one of the biggest symptoms of depression is not finding any joy in anything you do and having no...enthusiasm, right? You know that, right?

I think his dislike of it was how the scene portrayed his giving the guard enthusiasm not that the fellow was depressed/ unenthusiastic i could be assuming but i think he would prefer a more adult view of the depression?
#13the_requiemPosted 1/21/2013 2:47:01 AM
It's a better CS Lewis quote:

We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive.

I think this quote illustrates that the developers of this game need to do an about-turn and stop making childish games.

Funny thing, I thought they were doing exactly that with Square Enix hellbent on being last to turn around.
---
[PSN:wreck_em]
Borderlands 2: Maya-10, Zero-50, Axton-25, Sal-50
#14MidgardDragon99Posted 1/21/2013 2:50:09 AM
This HAS to be a troll as you completely mangled the meaning of that quote. Here is ANOTHER CS Lewis quote that applies to you and every other troll on that board and how you need to learn to understand "childish" things:

Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

---
3DS FC: 4639-9048-2382, Wii FC: 4558-6862-5396-5206, PSN: MidgardDragon
DD Pawn: http://game.capcom.co.jp/DD/en/pawn_detail/?pf=PS3&gid=MidgardDragon
#15gangster4lifeyo(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2013 2:51:53 AM
You guys are sure obsessed with that quote. Do you have it saved as a Word document just so you can paste it in some thread every couple days?
#16PorkinzPosted 1/21/2013 2:52:58 AM(edited)
Hey I can quote too!

“The highest as the lowest form of criticism is a mode of autobiography. Those who find ugly meanings in beautiful things are corrupt without being charming. This is a fault.”
-Oscar Wilde
#17immortaltech6Posted 1/21/2013 2:53:57 AM
immortaltech6 posted...
You needed to reference a quote for that simple and obvious observation? Wow. I'm sure things will pick up for you. Hey if you go outside during the day, you might even have an epiphany that the sky isn't dark.

Exactly. It's mocking how regulars here keep posting that other quote even though it's completely ridiculous to do so. Apparently you didn't get my intentions.

I see your intentions loud and clear. You are transparent yet recognizable from a mile away.
#18PirateMoePosted 1/21/2013 2:58:20 AM
Pairedsnake posted...
i could be assuming but i think he would prefer a more adult view of the depression?

Then do some cocaine for a while and run out of money, duh?
Problem solved.
#19Alexandrious1Posted 1/21/2013 3:07:18 AM

We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive.

I think this quote illustrates that the developers of this game need to do an about-turn and stop making childish games.

Hmm...judging from your poster name....

I take it you hate anything that isnt football, Grand Theft Auto, Saints Row or CoD?

yeeeaaaa...
---
PSN: TZETA
Dragons Dogma Pawn: Crystaliana, high HP/Defense/Stamina Support Mage, and pretty to look at.
#20PID_LL_PPPosted 1/21/2013 3:10:11 AM

I think this quote illustrates that the developers of other games need to do an about-face and stop making poorly executed games.

Level-5 Already made an about face their last major RPG release being White Knight Chronicles 2 with some polar opposite aspects to Ni No Kuni. (Not to mention reception)

Lets break it down.
"We all want progress", yes progress is normally good. (JRPG development)

"but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road", obviously heading further down the wrong road isn't progress. (JRPG development that people don't like or "westernization" features done poorly)

" the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive", In this case Ni No Kuni would qualify as the one turning around by returning to the roots while developing some well polished enhancements.

So in essence you just made another good quote from CS Lewis supporting Ni No Kuni.

Also if you just pick words out of the review quotes from meta critic the words (old, classic, roots, traditional, ...) pop up a lot in praise of being the progressive one mention in your quote.

"Ni No Kuni is a serenade, a love poem dedicated to all JRPGs."
"A lesson in what being a JRPG means."
"This title brings back the essence of the JPRG genre... complex classic-flavored battle-system"
"beautiful mixture of the traditional makings of a JRPG"
"Level-5 and Studio Ghibli have created a fantastic adventure reminiscent of JRPG-classics"
"who want to embrace again that old fashioned, classic spirit from the RPG genre"
"fantastic journey into good, old, japanese RPGs"
"Level-5 and Studio Ghibli has reinstated credibility to a flagging area of gaming"

That being said I doubt it is a perfect game but they at least turned things around and are heading in the right direction as you so mention. (At least from the critics perspective)