When can you start recruiting familiars?

#11jackstar_rockPosted 1/22/2013 4:55:23 PM
I'm having trouble recruiting the blue-horn Draconia that EgheadFool is endorsing... We're not sure on this yet, but I think you need to fly to be able to land on the spot it spawns. But that's an OP familiar anyway, so if they made that restriction it makes sense. Still, love to be wrong and find some way to get it early.

Other than this? No. Though the guide did state there are some with 4% recruit rate, I haven't seen those since the normal monsters have a pretty high rate of 25%+. You will see the option to recruit familiars pop up from time to time as long as you don't run from battles and duke it out with them as you traverse the over-world and dungeons.

Then again I didn't go out of my way to recruit every monster. I certainly didn't train all of them. I just make sure I have the elemental properties to deal with the current mob at hand.
#12find no fan tar seaPosted 1/22/2013 5:00:36 PM
jackstar_rock posted...
The one you start with is strong! Mite has an AoE slash move + physical attack buff, his gold orb special does awesome damage, and his normal physical attacks are great. Just feed him chocolates (and nothing else) to boost his attack. I only use chocolates (physical attack up) and cakes (magical attack up) so far on my familiars. You don't really need to build defense/evasion in the main game when you can overpower them with sheer force. *

You get the option to recruit familiars after you've cleared the town in the dessert where you get the blonde girl you see in the demo.

*endgame might be a different story though.

It's best to boost your defense otherwise you'll be in BIG TROUBLE in the later half of the game.
---
IF you like JRPG or Pokemon, go do youself a favor and play Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
#13find no fan tar seaPosted 1/22/2013 5:03:36 PM
jackstar_rock posted...
I'm having trouble recruiting the blue-horn Draconia that EgheadFool is endorsing... We're not sure on this yet, but I think you need to fly to be able to land on the spot it spawns. But that's an OP familiar anyway, so if they made that restriction it makes sense. Still, love to be wrong and find some way to get it early.

Other than this? No. Though the guide did state there are some with 4% recruit rate, I haven't seen those since the normal monsters have a pretty high rate of 25%+. You will see the option to recruit familiars pop up from time to time as long as you don't run from battles and duke it out with them as you traverse the over-world and dungeons.

Then again I didn't go out of my way to recruit every monster. I certainly didn't train all of them. I just make sure I have the elemental properties to deal with the current mob at hand.

Yes, some familiars requires you to reduce their hp down to 5% or below before you can capture them. Having status effects such as sleeping, paralysis etc.. will help boost the capturing rate.
---
IF you like JRPG or Pokemon, go do youself a favor and play Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
#14jackstar_rockPosted 1/22/2013 5:10:55 PM
I'm at Hamelin, am I at the 50% mark?
#15EgHeadFoolPosted 1/22/2013 5:17:18 PM
find no fan tar sea posted...
Yes, some familiars requires you to reduce their hp down to 5% or below before you can capture them. Having status effects such as sleeping, paralysis etc.. will help boost the capturing rate.

Lol what? The capture rates are fixed, and you have to defeat an enemy before they can be captured.
#16find no fan tar seaPosted 1/22/2013 5:24:22 PM(edited)
EgHeadFool posted...

Lol what? The capture rates are fixed, and you have to defeat an enemy before they can be captured.

Really, they're fixed? did they change it for the english ver? I thought you have to lower their HP down to a certain % before you can capture them. I played the jap from a while back even though i could barely understand anything.

---
#17EgHeadFoolPosted 1/22/2013 5:42:11 PM
Really, they're fixed? did they change it for the english ver? I thought you have to lower their HP down to a certain % before you can capture them. I played the jap from a while back even though i could barely understand anything.

Yes, even the strategy guide lists the catch rate. And you have to defeat them completely to catch. NOTHING you do in battle will matter.
#18MyzticRedPandaPosted 1/22/2013 5:46:18 PM
hmm
---
Regardless of warnings the future doesn't scare me at all
#19HypnoG(Topic Creator)Posted 1/22/2013 6:33:52 PM
How many hours in until you can recruit?
---
Yeah well I dont do maths but they're still different shapes when looking at them. I dont care about your stupid mathematical jargon.
#20gorgeousgamerPosted 1/22/2013 6:51:59 PM
HypnoG posted...
How many hours in until you can recruit?

Would also like to know this.. I am just outside of the 2nd town(possible spoilers, not really but just in case)

Al Mamoon, just took care of what needed to be done there and on to the next, did I miss something or is it coming up? thanks
---
PSN: hawk_eye99 IGN: Hawkeye99