I seriously hope playstation does away with disc based game installs.

#21pillerofautumnPosted 1/23/2013 10:31:27 AM
You have a choice, to upgrade your hard drive or to not upgrade your hard drive and then what to delete to make room on your hd

Yeah, too bad upgrading the hard drive requires tools. Another thing the 360 does better, a simple pop out hard drive.

And no, your post is in no way a solution to this problem.
#22rumbalumbaPosted 1/23/2013 10:35:43 AM
i'd rather have it install that continuously access and stream my disc. ever wonder why 360 discs have so many scratches?
#23iMpLuXPosted 1/23/2013 10:36:34 AM
^ On the new PS3 super slim, you just pop off the side cover and there's the SSD ready to be replaced w/ no tools required other than a screwdriver to secure it in.
---
AMD FX 8350 BE, MSi 990FXA-GD80, 2x MSi HD 7950 TF3 3GB, 4x 4GB KHX DDR3 1600, Corsair TX850W, Corsair H100i, Corsair Force 3 240GB SSD w/ 8 Pro 64, Antec DF-85
#24vashtrichamPosted 1/23/2013 10:47:47 AM(edited)
pillerofautumn posted...
You have a choice, to upgrade your hard drive or to not upgrade your hard drive and then what to delete to make room on your hd

Yeah, too bad upgrading the hard drive requires tools. Another thing the 360 does better, a simple pop out hard drive.

O no you will need to use a screwdriver, and yes upgrading to a bigger hard drive is a solution to the problem. And sorry Ps3 is much better in the hard drive department. You have to go through alot more hoops to get a 1tb hard drive in your 360
---
I just stabbed a parking attendant... Wheres the button to turn myself in- Hank Hill
#25katamoriPosted 1/23/2013 10:46:37 AM
pillerofautumn posted...

Lol it really doesn't needs tools.It needs 1 screwdriver everyone who has any tool of any sort would own.
---
PSN:helcalv
#26CarpetfluffPosted 1/23/2013 10:56:15 AM(edited)
Yeah, really simple. Bluray data access is fine when streaming, but quite slow when it has to seek all over the disc for bits and pieces. Without that install you'd be seeing a lot more load screens - the more the game takes advantage of the storage space (unless its just for video) the more the game is likely to need the install to keep the load times down.

The 360 may not have mandatory installs, but most of us install the game anyway as it can improve load times / texture pop in, makes the machine quieter and cuts down on wear and tear on the drive mech.

That said I will agree that buying a PS3 game, finding you need a system update, downloading and installing that, then waiting for a game to install, and then finding out that the game has an update and downloading and installing that too can be a right pain in the butt when all you want to do is play.
#27pillerofautumnPosted 1/23/2013 10:55:57 AM
pillerofautumn posted...

O no you will need to use a screwdriver, and yes upgrading to a bigger hard drive is a solution to the problem

O no, you have to wait longer for load times. See, I can do that too.

And no, it's not a solution because the problem is mandatory installs. I can't believe people are actually arguing against more player choice. I bet if they were making all game sales digital, you'd rather have a choice with hard copies.
#28denniedarkoPosted 1/23/2013 10:57:21 AM
LightHawKnight posted...
It takes less than 5 minutes for the install. If you do not have the time for that... Well then something is wrong.

I have to agree with this fellow.
---
Now Playing: Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Last Played: Mass Effect (9/10), Mass Effect 2 (10/10), Mass Effect 3 (9/10)
#29DeGroteJPosted 1/23/2013 10:57:51 AM
pillerofautumn posted...
360 requires install times
and 360 would have like 3 discs for games this size and require you to swap it every 5 minutes

360 does require install times, IF you want to install things. It's not mandatory like the PS3. As someone who likes to play sports games, they're a nightmare on the PS3. 10 gigs to play MLB The Show 12? That's 1/4 of my hard drive space for 1 game alone.

And hyperbole aside, so what if you have to switch discs? You can play for hours on a disc without a problem. If standing up and changing a disc is a problem for you, you need to re-evaluate your life and maybe get some more exercise.

When anyone talks about discs on the 360, all I can think of is Metal Gear Solid 4. That game was 1 blu-ray disc, and it still required you to install every chapter. Worst part? It deleted the other installed chapter as the new one installed. I played through the game once and wanted to do a speed run afterwards. Surprised to find out I had to spend 5 minutes at each chapter again to install.

So you really shouldn't be getting on the 360's case when the PS3 is far worse.

If Gamefaqs gave out awards to ironic and moronic posts you would win both with just this post.
---
Will work for karma.
#30pillerofautumnPosted 1/23/2013 11:01:28 AM
The 360 may not have mandatory installs, but most of us install the game anyway as it can improve load times / texture pop in, makes the machine quieter and cuts down on wear and tear on the drive mech.

I install most of my games too. Games that I'm going to play often. But if I borrow a game from a friend to just try it, I don't want to have to install it, deleting some of my own data in the process.
Lol it really doesn't needs tools.It needs 1 screwdriver everyone who has any tool of any sort would own.

Says doesn't need tools, then says it needs a screwdriver... Is a screwdriver not a tool? And I have many screwdrivers, but there are many different types of screws.