I seriously hope playstation does away with disc based game installs.

#31pillerofautumnPosted 1/23/2013 12:03:22 PM
If Gamefaqs gave out awards to ironic and moronic posts you would win both with just this post.

Nothing I said at all is incorrect, so stop being an idiot just because I disagree with your opinion. You're probably a PS3 fanboy by the sound of it.
#32DeGroteJPosted 1/23/2013 12:11:56 PM
pillerofautumn posted...
If Gamefaqs gave out awards to ironic and moronic posts you would win both with just this post.

Nothing I said at all is incorrect, so stop being an idiot just because I disagree with your opinion. You're probably a PS3 fanboy by the sound of it.

Please quote me where I said you were incorrect.
---
Will work for karma.
#33jkeplingerPosted 1/23/2013 12:13:02 PM
pillerofautumn posted...
You have a choice, to upgrade your hard drive or to not upgrade your hard drive and then what to delete to make room on your hd

Yeah, too bad upgrading the hard drive requires tools. Another thing the 360 does better, a simple pop out hard drive.

And no, your post is in no way a solution to this problem.

PS3 supports virtually any HDD size. 360 supports only what Microsoft says. Additionally the tool is a phillips screwdriver. I realize you may not own one since not everyone has one, so this becomes a valid point if you don't have such a tool. Otherwise it's not a valid point if you own the screwdriver needed.
#34flashfactor7Posted 1/23/2013 12:14:14 PM
pillerofautumn posted...

You do realize in your post you made fun of mandatory installations (that XBox has an option for) and then go on to say that you should be ok with changing discs.

I don't know about you but I think one 10min installation is a LOT better than having to change disc throughout the game.

So yea your post was pretty moronic.
---
PSN & twitch.tv - flashfactor7
Playing & Streaming: Ni No Kuni
#35mdly68Posted 1/23/2013 12:14:39 PM
stekim40 posted...
shaionei posted...
I'm tired of having to install data just to play a game I wonder why a supposed inferior system like the 360 requires no install to play most multiplat games but ps3 does...what's the deal? Considering the rumors about ps4 probably not gonna though.

Jesus Christ, you don't have the patience to wait 10 mins for a game to install?

I even install ALL my Xbox games as it saves wear and tear on the DVD drive.

The HD can access the data much faster and with less stress on the system than loading off the disc.

This. Retrieving data from a hard drive is physically faster than reading from a disc. You're trading some up-front install time for shorter load times. I'm sure you can find homework or laundry or something to do while it installs.
#36lechaflanPosted 1/23/2013 12:14:59 PM
And thus TC disappears.
---
http://cosplay.com/member/128253 (P4's Swagima)
10. BoF3 9. P4A 8. CoD4 7. SMarioW 6. MMV 5. BBCSE 4. ShiningForce2 3. MM8 2. Xenogears 1. SPuzzleFighter2T
#374sakuraHa0Posted 1/23/2013 12:16:56 PM
I prefer waiting 10 minutes in the beginning (I can make dinner and etc) to longer loading times everytime I go to different maps.
---
If someone post "I don't care", they actually care VERY much.
If they DON'T care, they WON'T bother posting.
#38SigmaHacielPosted 1/23/2013 12:20:34 PM
Carpetfluff posted...
Yeah, really simple. Bluray data access is fine when streaming, but quite slow when it has to seek all over the disc for bits and pieces. Without that install you'd be seeing a lot more load screens - the more the game takes advantage of the storage space (unless its just for video) the more the game is likely to need the install to keep the load times down.

This.

How hard is this to understand. The Blu-Ray disc is so effing big it is actually a detractor to overall performance.
#39tehSlippyPosted 1/23/2013 12:22:58 PM
pillerofautumn posted...
360 requires install times
and 360 would have like 3 discs for games this size and require you to swap it every 5 minutes

360 does require install times, IF you want to install things. It's not mandatory like the PS3. As someone who likes to play sports games, they're a nightmare on the PS3. 10 gigs to play MLB The Show 12? That's 1/4 of my hard drive space for 1 game alone.

And hyperbole aside, so what if you have to switch discs? You can play for hours on a disc without a problem. If standing up and changing a disc is a problem for you, you need to re-evaluate your life and maybe get some more exercise.

When anyone talks about discs on the 360, all I can think of is Metal Gear Solid 4. That game was 1 blu-ray disc, and it still required you to install every chapter. Worst part? It deleted the other installed chapter as the new one installed. I played through the game once and wanted to do a speed run afterwards. Surprised to find out I had to spend 5 minutes at each chapter again to install.

So you really shouldn't be getting on the 360's case when the PS3 is far worse.

How do you even compare having to switch discs in the 360 for a LARGE number of games to having to install each chapter individually for ONE GAME? It's just asinine. And you're an ancient. SMH.

@ TC: Sorry but there is literally no reason (herp derp player choice herp derp isn't a real reason) for not having game installs. If the day comes when you can read from disc faster than HDD/SSDs, maybe. But don't hold your breath for that day to ever come.
#40pillerofautumnPosted 1/23/2013 12:35:05 PM
You do realize in your post you made fun of mandatory installations (that XBox has an option for) and then go on to say that you should be ok with changing discs.

I don't know about you but I think one 10min installation is a LOT better than having to change disc throughout the game.

So yea your post was pretty moronic.

Except that there's nothing that installation can do to help the multiple discs. My telling him to be ok with changing discs is because 1)there is nothing that can be done unless the medium of the 360 changes, and 2) there was a big topic about that on a board I can't remember, where people were crying about getting up to change discs. A simple solution, other than making people pay money for a bigger hard drive, is letting them have a choice in installation.

And I don't understand how you guys are not getting it. You say it in your own post, 360 has an OPTION for it. The PS3 needs the option for it as well. I'd gladly sit through a longer load screen if it meant not having to install a game that will take up most of my hard drive. With an option, each and every one of you guys in here can still install your game and be as unchanged as ever. But for the people who don't want to, they don't have to. It really has nothing to do with you.
How do you even compare having to switch discs in the 360 for a LARGE number of games to having to install each chapter individually for ONE GAME? It's just asinine. And you're an ancient. SMH.

@ TC: Sorry but there is literally no reason (herp derp player choice herp derp isn't a real reason) for not having game installs. If the day comes when you can read from disc faster than HDD/SSDs, maybe. But don't hold your breath for that day to ever come.

I was comparing the system as a whole. Which is why that last sentence on my post is there. Besides, if you think multiple discs is somehow worse than what MGS4 did, you're out of your mind. That was 1 example I provided, who knows how many other games have that same procedure.

And yes it is a real reason. Which is why there are topics like this, and opinions like mine. And not just on GameFAQs. Just because you believe it isn't doesn't mean your opinion is correct.

And why the **** are you looking at my profile. Did you seriously just click on my name and check out my info?