I seriously hope playstation does away with disc based game installs.

#41shaionei(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 12:39:21 PM(edited)
One of the main reasons why the vita and other portable gaming systems has zero to no loading screen is because of cartridges. Cartridge based gaming would be my most preferred choice and I wish sony would adapt this to their home consoles. I understand that disc based media is mostly being used probably as a deterrent for pirating and blu-ray is the new standard media.

I am aware of the pro's to game installs because disc's have to be read in a way which takes more time than simply loading from a drive. Sorry I meant to post this a lot sooner.
---
Psn:Chaoshaionei
Gamertag:shaionei
#42DeGroteJPosted 1/23/2013 12:42:45 PM
pillerofautumn posted...
You do realize in your post you made fun of mandatory installations (that XBox has an option for) and then go on to say that you should be ok with changing discs.

I don't know about you but I think one 10min installation is a LOT better than having to change disc throughout the game.

So yea your post was pretty moronic.

Except that there's nothing that installation can do to help the multiple discs. My telling him to be ok with changing discs is because 1)there is nothing that can be done unless the medium of the 360 changes, and 2) there was a big topic about that on a board I can't remember, where people were crying about getting up to change discs. A simple solution, other than making people pay money for a bigger hard drive, is letting them have a choice in installation.

And I don't understand how you guys are not getting it. You say it in your own post, 360 has an OPTION for it. The PS3 needs the option for it as well. I'd gladly sit through a longer load screen if it meant not having to install a game that will take up most of my hard drive. With an option, each and every one of you guys in here can still install your game and be as unchanged as ever. But for the people who don't want to, they don't have to. It really has nothing to do with you.
How do you even compare having to switch discs in the 360 for a LARGE number of games to having to install each chapter individually for ONE GAME? It's just asinine. And you're an ancient. SMH.

@ TC: Sorry but there is literally no reason (herp derp player choice herp derp isn't a real reason) for not having game installs. If the day comes when you can read from disc faster than HDD/SSDs, maybe. But don't hold your breath for that day to ever come.

I was comparing the system as a whole. Which is why that last sentence on my post is there. Besides, if you think multiple discs is somehow worse than what MGS4 did, you're out of your mind. That was 1 example I provided, who knows how many other games have that same procedure.

And yes it is a real reason. Which is why there are topics like this, and opinions like mine. And not just on GameFAQs. Just because you believe it isn't doesn't mean your opinion is correct.

And why the **** are you looking at my profile. Did you seriously just click on my name and check out my info?

Do you even read your own post before you place it for all to see? First you say that people are basicly lazy if they don't want to change discs, but you don't want to wait for a 10 minute install? And now you are actually complaining on someone who checks your info which you yourself placed on here? Again, moronic and ironic.
---
Will work for karma.
#43Fou LuPosted 1/23/2013 12:45:12 PM
People play games without installing them?... It cuts down on loading time and stops the machine from making noise. My biggest complaint about the PS3 is not every game can be installed.
---
I smolder with generic rage.
#44pillerofautumnPosted 1/23/2013 12:46:59 PM
Do you even read your own post before you place it for all to see? First you say that people are basicly lazy if they don't want to change discs, but you don't want to wait for a 10 minute install? And now you are actually complaining on someone who checks your info which you yourself placed on here? Again, moronic and ironic.

Either you didn't read all the posts or are just a moron yourself. This has nothing to do with the 10 minute install time. And I placed my board user level on here and made my username a hyperlink to my profile? If there's a way to hide it, let me know, genius.
#45shaionei(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 12:51:53 PM(edited)
I also want to clearly state that waiting was not my main issue my issue was the amount of data that is sinked into your systems hard drive and developers taking too much advantage of this creating large files that are stored in your game data utility folder.

Mgs4 is a perfect example of this I am aware that there is a patch that allows you to install all of the chapters now which I am sure if you did that it would take up an enormous amount of space which still isn't practical.

As for me I have an older style ps3 80GB of storage capacity. I have been meaning to upgrade to a super slim to avoid this problem and also because my ps3 is beat up and needs to retire.
---
Psn:Chaoshaionei
Gamertag:shaionei
#46CarpetfluffPosted 1/23/2013 1:00:13 PM
Chances are the TC will get his wish and everything will go digital anyway, but if the biggest issue is they eat up storage space, then he's really going to hate that too and wish most of it was still on a disc.
#47PFireflyPosted 1/23/2013 1:12:53 PM
shaionei posted...
I also want to clearly state that waiting was not my main issue my issue was the amount of data that is sinked into your systems hard drive and developers taking too much advantage of this creating large files that are stored in your game data utility folder.

Mgs4 is a perfect example of this I am aware that there is a patch that allows you to install all of the chapters now which I am sure if you did that it would take up an enormous amount of space which still isn't practical.

As for me I have an older style ps3 80GB of storage capacity. I have been meaning to upgrade to a super slim to avoid this problem and also because my ps3 is beat up and needs to retire.

MGS4 isn't a very good example at all since it came out years ago, and that would never happen today. Now you get one install upfront.

As for devs taking advantage of it... technically sure. If today's games had an optional install, I suppose that would be handy for people like you. At the same time though, people like you would then decry load times, and the dev would be be blamed for it. Simply because you didn't do the install.

Personally I find this topic very tedious. I bought a 650 GB HDD for 70 bucks two years ago and stopped caring about storage space. By the time I come close to it next gen will be here anyways.
---
Alice returns in 2011, I'll be ready... http://www.ea.com/alice
Inception ending spoiler: http://twitpic.com/26k9ub
#48CyhortI82Posted 1/23/2013 1:26:13 PM
Kratier posted...
360 requires install times
and 360 would have like 3 discs for games this size and require you to swap it every 5 minutes

Um, no, no none of this is true. No game on the 360 requires you to install. Recommend? Yeah. But you can still play every game without installing. And have you ever played a multi disc game? Because you don't switch "every 5 minutes". It happens maybe once or twice during an entire game and it takes literally ten seconds to do it. Way less inconvenient than installing a game.
---
TheTygerfire is the love of my life.
I believe in the Straight Edge Savior and the Mizziah I love DLC :)
#49dean407Posted 1/23/2013 1:29:33 PM
y'know, I get that this is a PS3 board but the 360 DOES require installs for certain things. so far its only Halo 4 multiplayer but I would be surprised if this trend didn't expand, like the mulitplayer pass has. if you want to play it you have to install the second disc. period.

and lets be honest the 360 would probably force you to do installs as well but guess what? not every 360 has a hard drive in the first place. both companies made mistakes in designing their hardware, Microsoft left out hard drives in some models and Sony put in a disc drive that is too slow. Both companies screwed up Backwards compatibility. it affects development on both systems. people need to get over this.

second off if you have your system set up in a small room like I do then the sheer noise generated by that dang disc drive spinning up and down is horrible. I want to hear my game, not the system its stuck in. its the one reason I've considered giving up my first run 60GB PS3 with Backwards compatibility.
#50GothicAngel19Posted 1/23/2013 1:38:48 PM
shaionei posted...
I'm tired of having to install data just to play a game I wonder why a supposed inferior system like the 360 requires no install to play most multiplat games but ps3 does...what's the deal? Considering the rumors about ps4 probably not gonna though.
Not every PS3 game needs an install... Just suck it up and wait because as generations come they to will more than likely install as well.
---
Link to the Past > Ocarina of Time