I seriously hope playstation does away with disc based game installs.

#51RafedxPosted 1/23/2013 2:04:43 PM
shaionei posted...
I also want to clearly state that waiting was not my main issue my issue was the amount of data that is sinked into your systems hard drive and developers taking too much advantage of this creating large files that are stored in your game data utility folder.

Mgs4 is a perfect example of this I am aware that there is a patch that allows you to install all of the chapters now which I am sure if you did that it would take up an enormous amount of space which still isn't practical.

As for me I have an older style ps3 80GB of storage capacity. I have been meaning to upgrade to a super slim to avoid this problem and also because my ps3 is beat up and needs to retire.

Do you even know why MGS shipped that way to begin with? June 12th 2008 was when MGS4 was released, back then most people did not have the 160 gig PS3, they had the 60 and 80, MGS full install is just MASSIVE, Konami didn't want to clog up a users PS3 with so much info leaving nothing left for other games. With the massive jump in HDD sizes things changed and we eventually got a full install option. Personally I would have taken the 10gig hit or whatever it is now as the loading between chapters was pretty rough.

People have said tons of times in this thread, BD reads slower then the HDD, you would have HORRIBLE load times with every single game that normally needed to be installed. A few games give you options to load from disk or to install it, try some of those games and see the difference in load times, then come back and whine about how its takes so long to load.

Also its not going to work trying to compare the experience between 360 and PS3, they are two systems built totally different from one another thus they all have different pros and cons.

Personally I want mandatory installs, I want my games to load as fast as possible and I want to minimize stress on my laser so I don't have another system die on me.

In the end, suck it up. I have the same damn model of PS3 as you yet I am fine with the installs, makes everything run better.
---
http://www.terra-comic.com --> Terra: a Science Fiction Webcomic / Updates every 15th of the month.
#52jkeplingerPosted 1/23/2013 2:17:46 PM
CyhortI82 posted...
Kratier posted...
360 requires install times
and 360 would have like 3 discs for games this size and require you to swap it every 5 minutes

Um, no, no none of this is true. No game on the 360 requires you to install. Recommend? Yeah. But you can still play every game without installing. And have you ever played a multi disc game? Because you don't switch "every 5 minutes". It happens maybe once or twice during an entire game and it takes literally ten seconds to do it. Way less inconvenient than installing a game.

Forza 3 required you to install the second content disc in order to have access to the cars and other goodies that were on that disc, otherwise, you would not be able to use them.
#53FlipManV3Posted 1/23/2013 2:31:01 PM
1. Not all games require an install.

2. Games that require large installs would require multiple discs on the 360.

3. Even if you were given lol players choice, you'd still be switching discs for large games such as this.

Lol players choice
-
---
The Vita and the Wii U boards have the whiniest people on GameFAQs.
#54TerraUniversePosted 1/23/2013 2:36:43 PM
I disagree, I think the complete opposite.

I hope we can install the PS4 games completely onto the PS4. I think the Xbox 360 has a better install system. In case you are unaware, you can install the entire Xbox 360 game on an Xbox 360 console, although you still need the disc to be inside the system at all times. The Xbox 360 is much quieter then, because you don't hear the disc spinning and the load times are faster and the graphics are presumably pulled up more quickly. Of course, not all games are faster, but I think most are. The PS3 only allows you to install a little portion of the game data, and sometimes the game load times are still long.

As others have suggested, maybe the Blu-Ray speed reads slower than the DVD and that's why Sony thought it was a good idea to allow mandatory installs for faster load times. Otherwise Ni No Kuni would have longer load times.

However, imagine if Sony comes out with 40K Blu-Ray discs which are could make file sizes as big as 80-100GB. In that case, we may just end up with the PS4 having small installs like it does now, and then the "Xbox 720" might have multiple Blu-Rays that install completely into their systems, and it'll be just like it is now. That would be interesting.
#55flyersfan87Posted 1/23/2013 2:38:02 PM
jkeplinger posted...
CyhortI82 posted...
Kratier posted...
360 requires install times
and 360 would have like 3 discs for games this size and require you to swap it every 5 minutes

Um, no, no none of this is true. No game on the 360 requires you to install. Recommend? Yeah. But you can still play every game without installing. And have you ever played a multi disc game? Because you don't switch "every 5 minutes". It happens maybe once or twice during an entire game and it takes literally ten seconds to do it. Way less inconvenient than installing a game.

Forza 3 required you to install the second content disc in order to have access to the cars and other goodies that were on that disc, otherwise, you would not be able to use them.

That doesn't dispute his point dude. The 360 does not have any game that must be installed to function, that includes Forza 3. This is completely indisputable. What you're talking about amounts to separate content, much like DLC.
#56mamervPosted 1/23/2013 2:53:06 PM
I can think of much worse things that a game could do over a game install. Honestly I will sit it down and let it install and go to the bathroom and get prepared to play the game. If installing a game is so bad for you, the SNES is always waiting for you to play it/no load times.
---
I don't always play video games, but when i do I prefer to do it in 36 hour marathons.
#57KingisLegendPosted 1/23/2013 2:59:46 PM
flashfactor7 posted...
Because the PS3 has better graphics etc and it cuts down on the load times..

Just suck it up and wait the 10 minutes for the install.

Better Graphics? HAHA you make me laugh so hard, seriously every game that's cross platform performs better on the 360 9 out of 10 times. I'm not bashing the PS3 in no way since i do own both but you have to come to the realization that developers have a easier time developing games on the 360 which makes it the superior choice.
---
Don't take anything i say serious.... I'm Drunk
#58nedrithPosted 1/23/2013 2:59:51 PM
Overall it never bothered me. Perhaps because I have a 1TB hardrive that costs half as much as a much smaller 360 hard drive. Perhaps because like most people I have something else I can do while waiting for the install(in this case I was doing laundry).

As for the tool-less install. You don't even need a screwdriver I use a knife half the time in place of a screwdriver when I don't feel like getting up to get one. But even then saying that the 360's HD system is better because you don't need any tools.....take the money you save from buying a 360 HD and buy a set of tools. I'm sure you'll find more uses for it than just in the your PS3. I'll spend 3 minutes extra in time to save $30-$50.
#59katamoriPosted 1/23/2013 3:02:32 PM
pillerofautumn posted...
The 360 may not have mandatory installs, but most of us install the game anyway as it can improve load times / texture pop in, makes the machine quieter and cuts down on wear and tear on the drive mech.

I install most of my games too. Games that I'm going to play often. But if I borrow a game from a friend to just try it, I don't want to have to install it, deleting some of my own data in the process.
Lol it really doesn't needs tools.It needs 1 screwdriver everyone who has any tool of any sort would own.

Says doesn't need tools, then says it needs a screwdriver... Is a screwdriver not a tool? And I have many screwdrivers, but there are many different types of screws.

Didn't say it doesn't I sad it doesn'r really.They are different things btw as I said it's an extremely common tool lol
---
PSN:helcalv
#60katamoriPosted 1/23/2013 3:06:59 PM
pillerofautumn posted...
Do you even read your own post before you place it for all to see? First you say that people are basicly lazy if they don't want to change discs, but you don't want to wait for a 10 minute install? And now you are actually complaining on someone who checks your info which you yourself placed on here? Again, moronic and ironic.

Either you didn't read all the posts or are just a moron yourself. This has nothing to do with the 10 minute install time. And I placed my board user level on here and made my username a hyperlink to my profile? If there's a way to hide it, let me know, genius.

There is it's called don't post.
---
PSN:helcalv