Question about familiar recruitment

• Topic Archived

You have been randomly selected to participate in the Beta Test of our new message list page. We've rolled out this test in order to get additional feedback and error reports from a wider subset of users. We'll only display this notice once, but permanent links to disable the Beta, provide feedback, and get more information will be located at the bottom of each message list.

To disable this test for now, click here. For more information, please read our announcement about this redesign.

1. Boards
  2. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
  3. Question about familiar recruitment
2 years ago#1
I am not yet at the point where I can recruit random familiars but I have a question regarding trying to recruit a familiar with a particular astrological sign.
I've heard that any monster that is capturable has a 2-10% chance to be capturable upon defeat. However, if you want to get a particular sign for that monster, is there a way to somehow increase the capture chance when you meet the one you want?
Say I camp a monster type to finally see one that is double planet, is there nothing I can do to make it so there isn't a 95% chance that I won't be able to capture him anyway?

Is it pretty much a completely unreasonable time sink to try and capture a particular monster in a particular sign variety?
---
After extensive lab research, it appears that sterility is indeed hereditary...
2 years ago#2
There's a merit that you can unlock later but yea, it's mostly down to how determined you are (in farming)
2 years ago#3
I see, alright. How much does that merit increase % chance?
---
2 years ago#4
guide says "20%" I actually have a question on that not to steal your topic. is that a flat 20% or does it apply a 1.2x boost to the current rate?

ie. is it .04 + .2 = 24 or .04 x 1.2 = .048
---
my psn: snakbar7 feel free to add me
pokemon W FC: 3439-2994-1803, W2 FC: 1850-9494-7225
2 years ago#5
snakbar posted...
guide says "20%" I actually have a question on that not to steal your topic. is that a flat 20% or does it apply a 1.2x boost to the current rate?

Definitely NOT a flat rate. Otherwise I'd be catching everything left and right including the low-chance ones.
2 years ago#6
Thanks, and np you didn't hijack the topic at all since that's exactly the followup question I would have asked if someone had just posted "+20%".
---
2 years ago#7
EgHeadFool posted...
snakbar posted...

Definitely NOT a flat rate. Otherwise I'd be catching everything left and right including the low-chance ones.

well that kinda stinks, seeing as the guide lists the average catch rate somewhere between 10-5% with outliers at about 20% and 1% that means the most bang for your buck using the boost is going to be making 20% into 24%...

Then again you would have to do quite extensive testing to totally confirm or deny one way or another because a flat 20% on one of the many 3% familiar makes that a slightly larger but still small 23% or just under 1/4.

Knowing how the game performs catch rate math would be required for me to prove one way or another without a doubt.... or a few hundred catches of the same familiar. I am not doing that.
---
2 years ago#8
snakbar posted...
Knowing how the game performs catch rate math would be required for me to prove one way or another without a doubt.... or a few hundred catches of the same familiar. I am not doing that.

Haha well you can think whatever you want but I have enough empirical data on my 110 hour save to completely debunk the flat 20% theory.
2 years ago#9
EgHeadFool posted...

Haha well you can think whatever you want but I have enough empirical data on my 110 hour save to completely debunk the flat 20% theory.

I have respect for you and it probably doesn't do a flat rate. I would still like to see how the game crunches the number... oh if only I could get a look at the code.

That or someone with the dedication to document every encounter with about 3 different familiar genus and be willing to encounter them anywhere from 300 to 1000 times each.

Sorry if I come off as a jerk, just hungry for data.
---
  1. Boards
  2. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
  3. Question about familiar recruitment

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Message List Beta Test is now on. To disable the Beta, just click here, or you can read more about it, report an error, or provide general feedback.
  • Topic Archived