What was your first RPG?

#391LazyKennyPosted 1/27/2013 4:50:04 PM
It was either Super Mario RPG or Shining Force 2
---
Then I bust out Sudowoodo, and you're like "lol grass" so you try fire BUT IT DOESN'T WORK BECAUSE SUDOWOODO IS A ****ING ROCK!
#392KamilPosted 1/27/2013 4:50:26 PM
Wait people like Quest 64? O_O hehe then again there are probably people on this site who like Superman 64 un ironically.
---
slowbeef: Hold on it's the evil wizard who's spinning and striking a pose. And also giant swords, why the hell not.
Retsupurae on Earnest Evans, a wacky game!
#393johnbleuPosted 1/27/2013 4:54:35 PM
The original NES Final Fantasy for me. But I was only 5 and didn't know I had to equip things I bought, so I couldn't make it past Garland on my own.
---
Currently playing: Persona 4 Golden, Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
#394Thanatos2kPosted 1/27/2013 4:55:50 PM
Final Fantasy 3 on the Super Nintendo.
---
-Thanatos2k-
#395thebluickPosted 1/27/2013 5:13:26 PM
Final Fantasy II for SNES (Final Fantasy IV). Was introduced to it at a friends house, never looked back.
#396goofy23Posted 1/27/2013 5:13:40 PM
Final fantasy on the nes.
#397KirutaruPosted 1/27/2013 5:20:14 PM
Final Fantasy (NES)
---
TOP Gaming - http://topgamingblog.blogspot.com
A Breton in Skyrim - http://bretongenjo.blogspot.com
#398HyrulexplorerPosted 1/28/2013 9:09:52 PM
Zelda wasn't and isn't an RPG anyway. The entire series is an Action Adventure game.

Yes, I agree. However, there are some people out there who do consider it an RPG, or at least has elements of it, and so I included that part to cover my bases.

Wait people like Quest 64? O_O hehe then again there are probably people on this site who like Superman 64 un ironically.

Quest 64 is nowhere near the level of Superman 64. Superman is nearly unplayable in terms of controls, what you're expected to do with them, and just had bad design pretty much overall. Sure, Superman flies through the city and occasionally saves people by picking up cars or fighting enemy tanks or drones, but it really just does not play well nor feel like a Superman game, I'm betting. The levels are disjointed, and hard to see with all the fog on the exteriors or draw distances in the interiors.

Quest 64 is not a perfect game, or even a great one. The story is minimal, the inventory is clunky and tedious, it is easy to get lost if you don't notice the camera's behavior after battle, and it is pretty much very linear with no puzzle solving in the dungeons or anywhere, really. But it IS playable.

The controls work fine; Brian's movements can be paced and it only takes a bit of learning to aim spells during combat. The camera angles itself well, and can be manually readjusted at your whim. There is progression that can be measured, all the spells work properly, it has a varying degree of replayability, and can be reasonably beaten without being glitchy or downright unfair. It has a variety of environments, a good number of unique looking enemies, a decent soundtrack, and incentives to explore. Everything works. Nothing is astounding, but it all works. It can be fun, and the battle system is unique.

Bad games are ones like Big Rigs, Superman 64, and Sonic 2006. For all its flaws, Quest 64 should not be lumped into the same category as them.
---
"Ironically, the word mature when applied to games tends to have a very childish connotation." -Erik J. Caponi of Bethesda Softworks
#399HelIWithoutSinPosted 1/30/2013 4:59:06 PM
Mine was either Phantasie II, The Bard's Tale II: The Destiny Knight, or Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar. I'm pretty sure my first console RPG was Dragon Warrior.
#400Vice and MaturePosted 1/30/2013 5:26:39 PM
Final Fantasy IV on the SNES for first RPG.

The first RPG I actually cleared was Super Mario RPG.
---
http://i46.tinypic.com/f3wfba.jpg
#1 Tron Bonne, B. Jenet, Hong Meiling, Kohaku, Ren Mihashi, and Yuuki Tachimukai fan for life