What was your first RPG?

#431OoSubaruoOPosted 1/31/2013 2:46:13 PM
Pokemon Blue/Red
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 0605-4074-6062
#432Delicate_FlamePosted 1/31/2013 2:58:26 PM(edited)
Ultima VII was the first RPG I ever played, but as a kid who didn't understand much English, I had no idea how to play it, and didn't get far.

Final Fantasy VII was the first RPG I really got into. Even then, I didn't know what an RPG was. I just read about it in a magasine, and I thought it looked cool, so I got it for christmas. I got to the first boss and gave up, it wasn't what I expected at all, with the turn-based combat and whatnot. I thought it was stupid. It wasn't until my friend wanted to see the game that I gave it a second shot and really discovered the story and the gameplay, and developed a love for RPG's =)
---
(>^^)>
#433FunkyfetlockPosted 1/31/2013 3:09:01 PM
Probably "Zork" way back in the mid 1980's. My favourite RPG came out not long after that in the late 80's "In Search of The Most Amazing Thing". Graphics were mostly just a few lines on the screen but the gameplay was still better than anything that's come since IMO. Graphics are way overrated these days. All that really matters is the gameplay.

They just don't make games the way they used to.. sigh.
#434Zio_DynePosted 1/31/2013 3:41:23 PM
Lol.
While the vast majority of my favorite games come from past generations; there is no way for anyone to say they just don't make ____ the way they used to without sounding like a crotchety stoop-sitting old man.
#435FunkyfetlockPosted 1/31/2013 4:08:47 PM
Lol perhaps you're right. I'm only 38 but already I'm turning into my late grandfather!

Seriously though there have been some good RPGs since - the Final Fantasy series has generally been good & Dark Chronicle was very good but I'm just a bit disappointed that nothing has ever quite lived up to the promise of a few of those early games in the 1980's.

I'm sure it's not just a case of looking at the past through rose coloured glasses either. I've been looking at some YouTube footage of some of those old games and desperately wishing I could dig up my old Apple 2E computer from whatever computer graveyard it now lies.

I largely blame reviewers. Games started to go downhill when they started giving things like graphics & sound equal importance to gameplay.
#436FunkyfetlockPosted 1/31/2013 4:24:24 PM
Robot Odyssey! Now there's another great game from the eighties.

Sigh.. they really don't make games like that anymore.
#437Nath1343Posted 1/31/2013 4:40:30 PM
Golden Sun for the GBA! What a game.
---
PSN: nath1343
Isaac, Shulk, Toad and Pac-Man for Super Smash Bros 4!
#438lazycomplife(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 4:42:24 PM
Ginol_Enam posted...
Depends on how you want to count it. My real "first" was probably one of the Phantasy Stars and/or a Shining game. I had the Sega Channel on the Genesis, so I played a lot of stuff I wasn't very familiar with. The only reason I remember now what they were called is because I recognized them discovering them later. I didn't even know they were were referred to as RPGs, or what that acronym stood for.

Anyway, you couldn't save on Sega Channel, so I never got very far. The first time I heard what "that kind of game was called" was with Super Mario RPG. I rented it from blockbuster and had no idea why it was called RPG. I soon discovered it was like those Sega Channel games I had been playing (and was a little sad because it wasn't the game I wanted it to be).

I didn't really "get into" RPGs as a genre until Pokemon got me more familiar with the actual concepts and Dragon Warrior (the remakes on the GBC) got me interested in the more traditional RPGs. I then went exploring for the old school RPGs (I actually played Final Fantasy I for the NES before any of the PSX games, despite discovering the genre just a few years after FFVII came out) and started getting the newer ones as well.

lol you had a sega channel too. That's awesome.
---
Wow really
Official Swinub of Pokemon X and Y boards
#439ry_mannPosted 1/31/2013 4:48:18 PM
Pokemon Blue, Pokemon does count since it is essentially an RPG.

First full size RPG would be Oblivion.
---
PSN: Ry_mann88 xFire: ithinkipooped
www.clanbotc.com
#440Timba8uPosted 1/31/2013 4:50:38 PM
My first console was the Atari 2600. I got it for Christmas many years ago and loved it. Adventure was the first rpg i suppose, even though Pitfall 2 was quite an adventure....What really got me hooked on video games was Nintendo. After Mike Tyson's Punch Out and The Legend of Zelda I have kept on gaming and stayed glued to what is going on in the gaming world.

Does anybody remember Nintendo Power? This is how I got Dragon Warrior! By signing up for Nintendo Power! Nintendo offered free carts of Dragon Warrior for subscribing to Nintendo Power.

I have never played a game like this at the time and after trying to get into this style of gameplay I finally realized the magic this type of game offers and completed it.

Adventure
The Legend of Zelda
Dragon Warrior