Anyone else finding themselves giving Oliver warrior familiars and...

#1Yuji KaidoPosted 1/25/2013 6:58:03 PM
.....giving Esther the magic ones ? I'm still early in familiar catching but this is the pattern I have been following so far. The only super compatible ones I have are the starters.
---
Sazh - Racist caricature and worst FF character ever. Don't agree ? Your problem.
You can't cook, you won't get naked...what are you even good for ?! - Yosuke
#2xdividebyzeroxPosted 1/25/2013 7:01:17 PM
Well, I give Oliver the more powerful ones since he has the most MP.
---
Currently playing: Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
#3TooquikPosted 1/25/2013 7:01:25 PM
When ur selecting familiars for your friends make sure you check the right corner of the friends and familiar table and there are 3 genus that Oliver and Esther are strong in. Oliver does favor milites but that's not it
---
Gamertag: I AM 2QUIK
PSN: IAM2QUIK
#4BunnywunnyPosted 1/25/2013 7:07:23 PM
i try to balance each character out with a mix of attacker/defender/caster/healer types

i have oliver with a melee, a defender, and a caster
esther with a melee ,caster, and healer
and swaine with a melee, healer, and a defender

seems to me your doing yourself a disservice to not diversify your characters as much as possible since having 2 casters on one character is like having one caster since they share mp and everything
---
"Me fail English? that's unpossible"
-Ralph Wiggum
#5PhadinPosted 1/25/2013 7:09:47 PM
I typically try to put a physical warrior in the first slot of each companion, since that is normally the default familiar they will throw out at the start of a fight. That usually limits how much MP they are blowing in easy battles while allowing me to give them mage familiars with magic to use on more difficult fights.

And yes, genus has a lot to do with it. Oliver is naturally good with the 'warrior' genus, among others.
#6SpeedstersonicPosted 1/25/2013 7:15:42 PM
U guys are balancing the whole sun star moon paradigm right? cause you it does work in a triangle and you get bonuses for attacking with certain ones against enemies.
---
A man who trusts everyone is a fool, and a man who trusts no one is a fool. We are all fools, if we live long enough.
#7Yuji Kaido(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2013 7:42:27 PM
Bunnywunny posted...
i try to balance each character out with a mix of attacker/defender/caster/healer types

i have oliver with a melee, a defender, and a caster
esther with a melee ,caster, and healer
and swaine with a melee, healer, and a defender

seems to me your doing yourself a disservice to not diversify your characters as much as possible since having 2 casters on one character is like having one caster since they share mp and everything

True, but I haven't hit an area where I am getting pounded so far. Still it's bad to develop bad habits so I gave him a turbandit and a skelleton guy to balance out.

And I thought Esthers AI would be worst. Just slapped on a bunch of high defense items on her and her familiars and she's doing ok. The MP spending thing isn't really a problem as my evolved Mite is tearing through everything. I don't even think I'm overleveled.

Level 19 and bout to head to the volcano.
---
Sazh - Racist caricature and worst FF character ever. Don't agree ? Your problem.
#8Yuji Kaido(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2013 8:05:29 PM
Love this game BTW.
---
#9pixel378Posted 1/25/2013 8:08:36 PM
I give Oliver what I want to use and a variety. Mitey, a tank, and a caster.

I give the dude my monkey, and esther the penguin and a physical fighter.
---
MGO- Mr. Detroit