Please explain feeding familiars

#11ZetgobPosted 1/26/2013 7:39:46 PM
Gamashinoch posted...
no there is a cap on the number of stat points you can gain. it is the green number on the screen in the creature cage. it should say x/10 for where you are at now with x being the number you have gained so far.

So should you only feed familiars the best of the best treats? For example, you feed them 10 icecreams instead of the salted icecreams, you're screwed?

The cap is for actual points earned, not on total treats given.Each point raised in a stat will increase the amount of treats of that type needed to raise it further. The higher quality treat the less it takes.

Example: You have a normal +1 square chocolate. Initally this may be enough to raise strength, but say at +5 bonus strength it takes four or five +1 chocolate to raise, instead you could use a +5 cholocate and get it in one go.

That's a simplistic example, but you get the picture.
#12RPG maniac87Posted 1/26/2013 7:40:53 PM
Think of each stat as a level. Say at the start each stat takes 100 "food exp" to reach the next level (giving 1 stat point to the monster).
Basic foods generally give 50 food exp, filling up the bar halfway. Their favorite food gives twice as much exp.

When the stat levels up, it takes more food exp to increase again. So if the first time took 100, it might take 200 now.
Better foods, just give more "food exp". The amount the stat increases is still the same, 1 per level.

Better foods are more efficient, because you can only feed them so much until they get full. You decrease fullness by fighting battles.
Hopefully this made some sense.
---
You lack the mustache for full comprehension. (Super Paper Mario)
#13terminal21Posted 1/26/2013 7:42:33 PM
This is the most confusing thread ever.

The way I understand it is you get 10 extra stat points per familiarity heart, for 50 stat points total. Favorite treats get you stat points somewhat faster, the more advanced versions of favorite treats do even more.

Familiarity hearts become harder to fill in each time, to where you're still feeding treats long after you've gotten the 10 stat points for the heart you're on.
#14stekim40Posted 1/26/2013 7:45:58 PM
Perhaps read the manual?

Jeez..
---
Playing: Far Cry 3, PC Minecraft, Skyrim , F1 2012
Waiting for: ELITE:Dangerous, GTA V, Pikmin 3, Dragon Age 3
#15StuntmanSnakePosted 1/26/2013 7:47:57 PM
Okay, so, if you feed them strictly strength boosting foods until you had 10/10 or 50/50 or whatever, you would miss out on other stats that could've been boosted?

I feel like an idiot for not fully understanding.
---
PSN: StuntmanSnake
Gamertag: StuntmanSnake
#16ZenlightenedPosted 1/26/2013 7:47:59 PM
terminal21 posted...

The way I understand it is you get 10 extra stat points per familiarity heart, for 50 stat points total. Favorite treats get you stat points somewhat faster, the more advanced versions of favorite treats do even more.

Familiarity hearts become harder to fill in each time, to where you're still feeding treats long after you've gotten the 10 stat points for the heart you're on.

You only get familiarity for giving them their favorite treat.
---
So it goes.
#17ZetgobPosted 1/26/2013 7:49:05 PM
terminal21 posted...

You only get familiarity for giving them their favorite treat.

This is incorrect, you will gain familiarity no matter what. Favorite treats just increase the gain.
#18ZetgobPosted 1/26/2013 7:50:29 PM
Okay, so, if you feed them strictly strength boosting foods until you had 10/10 or 50/50 or whatever, you would miss out on other stats that could've been boosted?

I feel like an idiot for not fully understanding.

That's correct, so you need to plan ahead.

If the stat you want to raise is different from it's favorite treat, make sure to use those until you've hit the cap before you begin feeding it the favorite to boost hearts faster.
#19FoofyheadPosted 1/26/2013 8:00:15 PM
I haven't been paying much attention, where does it indicate a familiar's fav?
---
Dungeon Hunter: Alliance
Most underrated game, ever!
#20johnbleuPosted 1/26/2013 8:04:56 PM
Foofyhead posted...
I haven't been paying much attention, where does it indicate a familiar's fav?

It's not quick to find. In the Wizard's Companion in the Familiar section for each Genus it will offer a description of the genus' temperment and such. The last line of the description will tell you what foods they favor. Or an FAQ/guide, of course.
---
Currently playing: Persona 4 Golden, Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch