level 5 > square enix???

#51AjidoMarujidoPosted 1/27/2013 2:59:09 AM(edited)
Yes I don't think they could do something similar with final fantasy.... The expectations are different and higher.. You obviously don't know the ff fanbase if you think they would accept a kidish game like ni no kuni as a main entry to the series...

No offense but I think I would know better than you do since I am on their forums everyday..

First off, going to an online public forum everyday doesn't magically make you more knowledgable about anything.

Secondly, the "held to a higher standard" thing is used as an excuse far too often. If anything people give it too much credit just because of the name. Countless fanboys out there see the words "Final Fantasy" slapped on something and immediately jump to it's defense.

You're saying that too many people play the game and say "Well, FFVII was much better than FFXIII, so it must be terrible!" Well, on that same note, just as many people, possibly more play the game with the preconceived notion that they're going to like the game, and if you want proof of that, go look at Final Fantasy: All Bravest on the iTunes App Store, I doubt that most people would even consider that a game at all, yet note that it's sitting at 3.5 out of 5 stars... I guarantee you that if the words "Final Fantasy" werent in that title, it would be rated under 1 star.
---
[[Currently Playing]] -- Ni no Kuni (PS3), Disgaea 3 (Vita), Pokémon Heart Gold (DS)
[[PSN - MilesEdgeworth]] ~ [[XBL - The 22nd]]
#52EscaSyraPosted 1/27/2013 3:01:11 AM
AjidoMarujido posted...
Right now, yeah Level-5's games have been much better quality-wise.

Since 2007, the only decent thing that they've brought to the US has been Dream Drop Distance (maybe Theatrythm...). 3rd Birthday was mediocre, Dissidia was awful, Final Fantasy XIII was terrible, Final Fantasy XIV was the most epic disaster in MMO history, and All the Bravest is so impossibly horrible, it's actually insulting, and it makes me fear for the future of gaming as a whole...

So yeah, I'd take Level-5 any day of the week.

I will give them credit for the FFT PSP edition, Just Cause 2, and especially Deus Ex Human Revolution. DE: HR in particular was fantastic IMO.

Just to note, SE only distributed Just Cause 2, and they were only the publisher for Deus Ex, they were developed by Avalanche and Eidos respectively, SE wasn't involved.

SE owns Eidos. It was the Eidos team that worked on Deus Ex, but that still counts as SE because they are a subsidiary of SE.

About Just Cause 2 you're right. SE distributed it, Eidos published it, Avalanche developed it.
#53EscaSyraPosted 1/27/2013 3:07:16 AM
Also, a common misconception is that the quality of Final Fantasy dropped after Squaresoft merged with Enix. This can be argued against. Final Fantasy X-2 was made by Squaresoft and released under Squaresoft in Japan. The merger happened shortly before the NA release of X-2, so that may be why people think that SE was responsible for X-2.

Well, I just saw this topic on the front page so I popped in to see what was up. This looks to be a good game. I'll have to check it out some time. Enjoy.
#54Sin_HarvesterPosted 1/27/2013 3:12:53 AM
Squeenix made some good games, to be fair (like FF Type-0)

But I'd say Ni no Kuni BLOW FF XIII and its sequel out of the water, no matter how much fanboys(girl) are in denial. Final Fantasy is shell of its former self now and no it's not becuz of high expectation of fans, it's mainly becuz they don't take their own series seriously at all. Correct me if I am wrong but I swear I read FF XIII was made with no real goal between developers until the game was nearly finished.
---
Tales of Graces F. It IS actually great !!!
#55Sand_CoffinPosted 1/27/2013 3:17:40 AM(edited)
EscaSyra posted...
Also, a common misconception is that the quality of Final Fantasy dropped after Squaresoft merged with Enix.

This is how I feel.

Squaresoft = delicious goodness. Square Enix = horribly bad. And part of that reason is that the geniuses behind FF (and other great titles) left and started up Mistwalker, so I feel that quality concerns are a valid reason. Though I would say that for me it wasn't just FF that seemed to drop in quality, but pretty much every game they made. I liked the KH series, DQVIIII and Grandia III, everything else Square Enix has made I hated.
#56AjidoMarujidoPosted 1/27/2013 3:17:26 AM(edited)
SE owns Eidos. It was the Eidos team that worked on Deus Ex, but that still counts as SE because they are a subsidiary of SE.

Yes, Square owns Eidos, but that specific development team is (was) still Eidos Montreal, any game that bears the Eidos logo was made specifically by an "Eidos team", I believe that they've merged development since then though, so upcoming games like Tomb Raider will just be branded "Square-Enix"

I suppose you could still count it as Square-Enix if you want though, it's pretty subjective.
---
[[Currently Playing]] -- Ni no Kuni (PS3), Disgaea 3 (Vita), Pokémon Heart Gold (DS)
[[PSN - MilesEdgeworth]] ~ [[XBL - The 22nd]]
#57AceviperPosted 1/27/2013 3:38:08 AM
Why are people giving Square Enix credit for Squaresoft games?

They are completely different companies with completely different talents behind them.

Squaresoft is better than Level 5

Level 5 is MUCH MUCH better than Square Enix. Hell, I can count the amount of decent games that have the Square Enix logo on them with one hand. If I don't count the games not made by the Square Enix teams themselves, it goes down to being able to count them with 1 finger
---
If gameshark wasn't invented... games wont be as popular anymore
-Someone
#58krillin4553Posted 1/27/2013 4:04:46 AM
After the merger of Square and Enix. I just couldn't get into the games as much. XII with its atrocious battle system. XIII was a big disappointment, I remember being so stoked for it at the midnight release. Then a week later and thirty hours in, I had had enough of the crappy characters and the battle system, I shelved it for over a year before I managed to get another few hours in. Got XIII-2 in hopes of an improvement, it was a bit yet still just lackluster. Four Heroes of the Light, blech. XIV, started out really bad. I ended up playing it some more after it went f2p, definitely improved, still not up to par for an mmo, so I'm hoping A Realm Reborn gets it where it should be. Oh, and All the Bravest. *spits*

On the other hand , Final Fantasy Dimensions is pretty good. Kingdom Hearts II and 3DS are fantastic. The remakes of III and IV are sweet. I liked FF DDR clone cos I can't ever remember the proper spelling of that. >_<

I've only played a few of Lebel-5's games. No No Kuni is so far better than any Squeenix game since KHII. Rogue Galaxy I actually had picked up not too long ago is great, didn't even realize it was Level 5 until now. WKC was bland, but with a friend was actually a lot of fun.

Honestly, to me its not a matter of Level 5 being better than Squeenix, its a matter of who's not better than Squeenix? They just keep shoveling out crap with something that might actually be pretty good sometimes. Yet their whole business model is what made me lose respect for them. But.. Regardless of what they do, I don't think they'll ever have the fall from grace that Capcom has had.
---
XBL/PSN: DocDrazen
Awaiting: Tales of Xillia\Hearts R, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Dead Space 3
#59xOmniCloudxPosted 1/27/2013 4:13:43 AM(edited)
SE sucks. Squaresoft is god. SE sells games off the history of once being SquareSoft and the old talent that made them which are no longer there except a few names. The merger didn't kill them, all the people responsible for creating their golden titles (namely Sakaguchi) leaving and then Yoichia Wada unfortunately becoming president killed their quality standard. If they weren't a house hold name their studio would have folded long ago due to all this BS they have done with the properties lately which have just cannibalized their fanbase. The Eidos original IPs have been the ONLY good thing to come out of them this gen. Which says a lot given how SE teams do not touch or influence their games.

SE basically is just the funder while Eidos can do whatever they hell they want and what they want and do runs circles around SE. But the SE fanbase is akin to Star Wars fanbase. Will complain relentlessly of how they have ruined what they loved and destroyed memories but will go and buy it anyway. I was like that once with them but eventually had enough and haven't looked back.
---
This is GameFAQs. People here take great pride in ignoring common sense.
#60xOmniCloudxPosted 1/27/2013 4:08:34 AM
krillin4553 posted...
After the merger of Square and Enix. I just couldn't get into the games as much. XII with its atrocious battle system. <

FFXII has the EXACT same battle system as FF VII, VIII, IX and X-2. The only difference is movement (which does nothing but make combat seamless) and OPTIONAL gambits. It even has wait mode if you want to use it...
---
This is GameFAQs. People here take great pride in ignoring common sense.