Stealing, Theft, Mugshot Information

#1Defensor24Posted 1/27/2013 1:50:32 PM
I have been a big old thief ever since the days of Final Fantasy 5 so I decided to compile some information on stealing considering none seems available. Any help would be appreciated. The information I have thus far is:

Stealing does not effect the drop rate of an item. You can steal and still get drops after battle. The chance of a rare drop is calculated first if the result is negative then a normal drop is calculated.

The items that can be stolen can be seen in the monster compendium (within telling stone data) under "Dropped Items" using the following 3 examples, depending on the number of drops a monster has listed.

Example 1 (normal enemies with 3 listed drops)
Item 1 (normal drop and normal steal)
Item 2 (rare drop)
Item 3 (rare steal)

Example 2 (normal enemies with 2 listed drops)
Item 1 (normal drop and normal steal)
Item 2 (rare drop and rare steal)

Example 3 (boss monsters)
Item 1 (Unique Item gained only as a drop (not always applicable))
Item 2 (only steal (often not applicable))

Well hopefully this helps.
#2Defensor24(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 5:28:18 PM
The best way to steal is to manually control Swaine and choose do nothing for one character"s tactics while the other uses an aggro drawing ability and a defensive familiar. This way you are less likely to have an enemy die before getting the goods.

There are a significant number of items that can only be gotten in mass numbers via this method. Most of which are quite useful for alchemy. This also applies to items that can be gotten earlier than would be possible otherwise such as weapons, armors, and accessories.
#3Defensor24(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 7:37:40 PM
It is also worth noting that an enemy is still susceptible to mugshot if it gets back up after being defeated (while hearts appear over their head). During this time you may still steal from them and while they are escaping after the time limit has expired as well.

It is also possible to have Swaine use mugshot on his own. This seems to happen most frequently when you give him the "Back Up" tactic. This is not very reliable though. At best this is simply a good way to augment your inventory during regular grinding or when wish to control a different character.

That should be the last of my notes on stealing. If anyone has anything to add I would welcome the information. Good luck my little thieves!
#4Defensor24(Topic Creator)Posted 1/27/2013 8:10:46 PM
Also you cannot steal from advanced monsters in bounty hunts or errands. You can steal from normal monsters that fulfill errands but if a monster is spawned specifically for a quest then that monster will have nothing to steal.

It is also viable to use "All Out Defense" To get a momentary respite in which you can finish stealing from an enemy before they are killed. This can be then canceled on success by either using "All Out Attack" or simply waiting for the timer to run out.
#5Defensor24(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 2:06:06 AM
As an additional note, bosses with items that can be stolen often have advances equipment or rare ingredients so such theft is highly profitable assuming you can survive the attempt, of course.
#6ZetgobPosted 1/29/2013 2:11:59 AM
Also you cannot steal from advanced monsters in bounty hunts or errands. You can steal from normal monsters that fulfill errands but if a monster is spawned specifically for a quest then that monster will have nothing to steal.

It's worth noting one exception to this is the entire line of bounty bosses that come in post game, the reskinned suped-up version of past boss encounters, they all have some nice items to steal.
#7Defensor24(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 2:14:37 AM
Zetgob posted...

It's worth noting one exception to this is the entire line of bounty bosses that come in post game, the reskinned suped-up version of past boss encounters, they all have some nice items to steal.

Thank you for the intel! I was unaware of that.
#8SolaxerPosted 1/29/2013 7:16:32 AM
When I tried to steal bumbler honey from a bumbler it said it wasn't carrying anything. Why is that?
#9Defensor24(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 8:05:50 AM
Either Swaine had already stole from it on his own or the monster was quest related. It is also possible that an ability interrupting move used right before the mug shot animation finishes can stop the message for the theft without actually stopping the theft itself (in other words you got the item but it didn't display the text).

As an additional note, you can get bumbler honey from Ding Dong Dell for 50g a piece and that is FAR easier than stealing it.
#10NInjaZiruPosted 1/29/2013 8:15:04 AM
I want to go ahead and add a tip that I suspect many people know, but everyone should know if they want to steal rare items. Make sure Oliver and Esther have some decent tanking familiars and keep them on defense the entire battle. Equip Swaine with fairly good equipment to give him as much attack (or not if you are battling weak enemies) as possible. Then get into a battle with the enemy you want to steal from and proceed to try to counter attack any of the enemies that AREN'T the one you want to steal from. Do this until you get a golden glim and then use Swaine's special on the enemy you want to steal from. It will steal with 100% certainty the rarest item from that enemy. Obviously if you are about to kill the enemy with the item, you want to go for a mugshot just in case.

This turned my two hours of unsuccessful farming for a dragonstooth ring into a 2-minute quickie.
---
Robert_____Maze:
What? No. There has never been a decent military stratergy in history that has ended with "And then we shoot it with our lazor."