Overrated?

#61VanilleHopenPosted 1/27/2013 5:53:16 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#62LightHawKnightPosted 1/27/2013 5:55:50 PM
Not even close.
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#63Thanatos2kPosted 1/27/2013 5:56:51 PM
Why Vanille the FF13 fanatic even here? He's been trolling the Last Story boards too. Jealous of better RPGs much?
---
-Thanatos2k-
#64Wagram123Posted 1/27/2013 5:57:04 PM
EurAsianGirl posted...
Wagram123 posted...
EurAsianGirl posted...
Wagram123 posted...
Honestly, I do feel critically and by word of mouth that the game is over rated. I've been playing roughly 30 hours so far and the games biggest detractor is the story. It's nothing to really care about. The highlights are whenever the antagonists actually participate. Also the party AI is very clunky, and the lack of a form of gambit system hurts.

It's definitely a solid 7-8/10 game, but Ni No Kuni does close to nothing that another JRPG hasn't done better this generation. It does excel in a few areas though.

Story and characters are the main reason I play JRPGS so does that mean I won't find anything here that I'm looking for. :( Is it not as good as classics like Grandia and Lunar story-wise?

It's not HORRIBLE, but don't expect anything mind blowing. I wouldn't pass on it solely for that reason. In the end it is a good game when you add everything together. However like I stated in the end it's really not that interesting story wise.

What about characterization wise? Also what other JRPGS have you played so I know whether or not to take your word?

I own far too many for me to want to post them all but i'll post a broad spectrum:

Every Final Fantasy X-XIV, Grandia I, Tales of Graces F, Vesperia, Abyss, Legendia, Arc Rise Fantasia, Lost Odyssey, Star Ocean 1-4 (3 is my fav. such a good plot twist!), Valkyria Chronicles, Resonance of Fate, Nier, Xenoblade, Xenogears, Xenosaga series.

Soo many to name!

Drippy is probably the best character outside of the antagonists. He's pretty witty and funny. Also I like the 3rd party member you receive because of the rude remarks that they say. Overall though the characters are likeable and decent, but at the end of the night your not going to find a Sephiroth, or Welkin Gunther if that's what you want to know.
#65ZEOPOWER6Posted 1/27/2013 5:57:22 PM
Thanatos2k posted...
Why Vanille the FF13 fanatic even here? He's been trolling the Last Story boards too. Jealous of better RPGs much?

She hates non FF-RPGs, basically. For some reason, she also thinks people need to know.
#66Wagram123Posted 1/27/2013 5:57:50 PM
Meh that was meant to be I-XIV. No idea why I wrote X-XIV. lol. Shame you can't edit on these boards.
#67EurAsianGirlPosted 1/27/2013 5:58:24 PM
Wagram123 posted...
EurAsianGirl posted...
Wagram123 posted...
EurAsianGirl posted...
Wagram123 posted...
Honestly, I do feel critically and by word of mouth that the game is over rated. I've been playing roughly 30 hours so far and the games biggest detractor is the story. It's nothing to really care about. The highlights are whenever the antagonists actually participate. Also the party AI is very clunky, and the lack of a form of gambit system hurts.

It's definitely a solid 7-8/10 game, but Ni No Kuni does close to nothing that another JRPG hasn't done better this generation. It does excel in a few areas though.

Story and characters are the main reason I play JRPGS so does that mean I won't find anything here that I'm looking for. :( Is it not as good as classics like Grandia and Lunar story-wise?

It's not HORRIBLE, but don't expect anything mind blowing. I wouldn't pass on it solely for that reason. In the end it is a good game when you add everything together. However like I stated in the end it's really not that interesting story wise.

What about characterization wise? Also what other JRPGS have you played so I know whether or not to take your word?

I own far too many for me to want to post them all but i'll post a broad spectrum:

Every Final Fantasy X-XIV, Grandia I, Tales of Graces F, Vesperia, Abyss, Legendia, Arc Rise Fantasia, Lost Odyssey, Star Ocean 1-4 (3 is my fav. such a good plot twist!), Valkyria Chronicles, Resonance of Fate, Nier, Xenoblade, Xenogears, Xenosaga series.

Soo many to name!

Drippy is probably the best character outside of the antagonists. He's pretty witty and funny. Also I like the 3rd party member you receive because of the rude remarks that they say. Overall though the characters are likeable and decent, but at the end of the night your not going to find a Sephiroth, or Welkin Gunther if that's what you want to know.

Ahh so you've played the first Grandia, would you say its at least as good as that game story and characterization wise, or even dialouge wise or no?
---
JRPG lover and not ashamed of it
Avid fan of the Grandia and Lunar series.
#68archizzyPosted 1/27/2013 5:59:03 PM
Wagram123 posted...
Meh that was meant to be I-XIV. No idea why I wrote X-XIV. lol. Shame you can't edit on these boards.

You can, you just more than likely don't have a high enough Karma yet.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#69Thanatos2kPosted 1/27/2013 6:00:18 PM(edited)
Ahh so you've played the first Grandia, would you say its at least as good as that game story and characterization wise, or even dialouge wise or no?

No. Grandia has a solid story, great characterization and dialogue, and the best NPC dialogue of any game. (Except possibly Planescape Torment)

Ni no kuni is above average sure, but no Grandia.
---
-Thanatos2k-
#70demakaPosted 1/27/2013 6:00:09 PM
VanilleHopen posted...
like noa.. final fantasy xiii sucks anyone who says otherwise is like sooo trolling, because that's not like a jrpg..

like NI NO KUNI this is a jrpg... I mean like SUPER SERIOUZ...that badass lightning with her fold up gunblade defying her fate?? yawn... like that's all they could come up with? Seriouz???

Now a little boy going to an alternate world with a stuffed animal, a bunch of cuddly critters, and a wooden stick after his mommy gets sent to the morgue... THAT IS an awesome JRPG.. SUPER SERIOUZ... this is where the badazzes hang..

god I just love Ni No kuni..it's like the best...

So exactly how sad and empty is your life that you need to spend time on a message board for a game you don't even like? I mean, I imagine there's tons of games you don't like. Do you troll all of those boards as well?