Mediocre reviews because of difficulty?

#21vind3dPosted 1/28/2013 6:44:34 AM
I've only fought the first Boss so far but I beat him first try. I never beat a boss on the first try in any game. Sure, I am playing on the easy difficulty. But how could someone complain about the difficulty when you have a choice?
---
My favorite app is still the Mute button on my TV's remote.
#22pecorrePosted 1/28/2013 6:51:19 AM
I played a lot this weekend and I don't understand the difficulty complain. I never even died so far.

I guess some reviewers never played any RPG before.

Seriously, you should buy it.
#23LamesyPosted 1/28/2013 7:24:04 AM
Fundamentally flawed logic to complain about the money-continue feature. It's an optional modern convenience. Don't like it, don't use it. Load your save old school style.

It's funny though, considering how such a feature would be spat upon as dumbed-down in many other popular franchises (Fire Emblem, D Souls, SMT). Yet it was just enough rope for these idiots to hang themselves with via repeated abuse.
#24SBabyPosted 1/28/2013 7:27:51 AM(edited)
Honestly, I don't know what Game Informer's talking about. The game's really not that hard. But then again, these are the guys that also gave DQVIII a 7/10 because of the fact that you actually had to level grind. So I think those reviewers are simply too lazy to grind.
---
Show me an RPG without cliches and I'll show you an unproduced game.
#25runwhen_useemePosted 1/28/2013 7:30:54 AM
This should be all you need to know about the difficulty: My girlfriend plays two games, this, and The Sims.

She plays on normal, btw, which makes IGN look even worse, because their gameplay strategy videos are on easy...
#26RevolutionZealPosted 1/28/2013 7:35:58 AM
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch

86 overall. To me, 86 is pretty damn good. Of course, Metacritic isn't the only thing you should rely on, but it's still a good reference point.

I know this isn't what you were asking for TC, but everyone here already hit the mark. Just thought I'd share this for more info. lol
#27TiaelPosted 1/28/2013 7:37:52 AM
SBaby posted...
Honestly, I don't know what Game Informer's talking about. The game's really not that hard. But then again, these are the guys that also gave DQVIII a 7/10 because of the fact that you actually had to level grind. So I think those reviewers are simply too lazy to grind.

Which you really don't need to do in DQVIII if you look for all the overworld treasures and you know, actually explore.
Only times I can see grinding is for Dhoulmagus, getting Angelo to 30 for Multiheal, and the post-game Dragovian Trials.
Otherwise, I had enough xp just exploring the world for treasure to get by.

And despite that, not like grinding in DQVIII is exactly a difficult experience with Metal Slimes and the other variants available at 1000 xp, 10,000 xp and 30,000 xp a pop.
---
Ni no Kuni Wizard Edition- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcEGEGpFgRU
Dragon Quest > Tales of > Final Fantasy, but I enjoy all three. Da Bears!
#28TevrenPosted 1/28/2013 7:38:18 AM
Over 60 hours in, one death. The game is not hard at all. The difficulty is what you make of it. My guess is that reviewer was being stationary just pressing Attack like an old school turn based RPG and got owned.

Enemies in new areas are stronger yes, but thats been the case in every rpg ever made. Seems more likely the reviwer was bad at it, then took off points for what was their shortcoming.
---
PSN: Tarqosis
#29Scion_MachinaPosted 1/28/2013 7:43:21 AM
Man,who goes to Game Informer for credible reviews anyways? Sure I have died quite a few times in this game but mainly due to over stepping my boundaries in terms of exploration and not using my Tricks like I should.
---
Let this be a lesson kids. When debating,solve your disagreements not with words but by screaming,"I am a man!!!!" and punching them in the gut.
#30glyde69Posted 1/28/2013 7:54:38 AM
Normal battles are a breeze. Some bosses can kick your ass though( I'm about 15 hours in). A lot of it has to do with my "partners" being useless in a boss fight though. Overall, difficulty about average IMO.

No real grinding. Playing main quest and did a healthy amount of errands and bounties(aka side quests).
---
Gamer Tag: Wally Digital PSN name: Wally Digital Wii Code:2550-7930-3602-5785