Anyone else basically skipping all the story behind take/give heart quests?

#31SquareenixfreakPosted 1/28/2013 1:14:04 PM
madmofo145 posted...
NicoGrimm posted...
*raises hand*

It'd be better if youb had to listen to them talk and figure out what they'r missing by yourself, but no. Drippy tells you EXACTLY what they need every single time. I thought he told you the first few times as a tutorial or something, but he wont stop.

This has been my biggest problem with the whole game. While I have enjoyed it for the most part, I just keep thinking "When am I going to be done with the tutorial?" I just want to duck tape Drippy's mouth so I can figure out stuff myself. These are silly no name NPC's and if they want us to pay attention, then make it so it's integral to the gameplay. Instead of having us randomly taking every heart we are prompted to, only to drop it into someone else based solely on prompts, make it so that we have to decide based on dialogue, and if we choose poorly the heart is rejected, and we are forced to fight a nightmare.

This! I just want for Drippy to shut up and enjoy figure stuff by myself but ehhh... At least game's still awesome
---
exGT-ShadowPHOENIX1
newGT-ShadowMINDGAME1
#32Bleach313Posted 1/28/2013 3:27:25 PM
I think that the rest of the game is awesome, but that is the only thing I hate. I just tap the X button as fast as I can and wait for the bold words to tell me what to give them. There's only so much reading I can take before I just get sick of it.
---
Currently Playing: Persona 4 The Golden and Guild Wars 2
PSN ID: yooobooyj
#33mgillgannonPosted 1/28/2013 4:02:21 PM
The gabby parts of this game make me appreciate Dark Souls even more, which I didn't think was possible.
---
When people say "The fact is..." they mean "My opinion is..."
#34ikilledkenny2Posted 1/28/2013 4:10:01 PM
Im going to be honest, I skip just about everything to do with finding emotions. I'm starting to find even the main story pretty dull. Most towns you come to have a heartbroken leader who can't see you right away and you need to fetch all kinds of **** to progress. It's like, I'm either fetching emotions, or fetching the food for the town leader to see them, or fetching those pieces of art, or whatever and it's just exhausting and not that fun.
#35Bubble_ManPosted 1/28/2013 4:18:04 PM
Yup, I started doing it after the 1st handful. They all go something like "blah blah blah...I used to love doing..blah blah blah....but now I don't have the drive to blah blah....give him some enthusiasm...blah."
#36skp_16Posted 1/28/2013 4:27:03 PM
Nope.
#37littlecletusPosted 1/28/2013 4:34:24 PM
ikilledkenny2 posted...
Im going to be honest, I skip just about everything to do with finding emotions. I'm starting to find even the main story pretty dull. Most towns you come to have a heartbroken leader who can't see you right away and you need to fetch all kinds of **** to progress. It's like, I'm either fetching emotions, or fetching the food for the town leader to see them, or fetching those pieces of art, or whatever and it's just exhausting and not that fun.

Early game spoilers-

Exactly my (least) favorite is the cow queen. You need to find her some restraint and they send you on a snipe hunt around town, only to discover that you need to get the restraint from her assistant....who is standing right next to her.
Why didn't my pendant start glowing all green when I was standing next to him the first time?

Yeah...these heeartbroken quests are BS....but I must get stamps!
---
Are you a bug, Bill Murray?
#38PhadinPosted 1/28/2013 6:48:09 PM
I think the heartbroken quests would have been made better by 2 improvements.

1) outside of the mainline quests where they introduce a new piece of heart, Drippy/Oliver should not directly mention what piece of heart is missing. Instead, it's up to the player to figure it out based on what the NPC says. This would give value to actually reading the stories then.

2) Taking/giving pieces of heart likewise you need to choose which one to take/give, and there should be something unusual happen if you take/give the wrong one (followed by needing to retrieve or give back the piece you took/gave improperly.). Yeah, it would mean more dialogue if you did something wrong, but they could at least make it a bit more entertaining.

Then these quests become a bit more of a puzzle rather then just a 3-step no-challenge fetch quest. It adds value to the text and stories they've provided to the NPCs, and possibly add some entertainment in seeing what happens when you play with the wrong pieces of heart.
#39NuirPosted 1/28/2013 11:53:08 PM
Phadin posted...
I think the heartbroken quests would have been made better by 2 improvements.

1) outside of the mainline quests where they introduce a new piece of heart, Drippy/Oliver should not directly mention what piece of heart is missing. Instead, it's up to the player to figure it out based on what the NPC says. This would give value to actually reading the stories then.

2) Taking/giving pieces of heart likewise you need to choose which one to take/give, and there should be something unusual happen if you take/give the wrong one (followed by needing to retrieve or give back the piece you took/gave improperly.). Yeah, it would mean more dialogue if you did something wrong, but they could at least make it a bit more entertaining.

Then these quests become a bit more of a puzzle rather then just a 3-step no-challenge fetch quest. It adds value to the text and stories they've provided to the NPCs, and possibly add some entertainment in seeing what happens when you play with the wrong pieces of heart.

I agree with you, all this handholding should've been kept only in the first quests. Even so, it is only a minor nuisance for me, but I can totally understand how it may become too repetitive for many people.

These are the things a patch could solve, unfortunately I don't think we'll ever get one. Still, I'm loving this game for what it is. And it has definitely made it to my favorites list.