is this the new ff7?

#11playboyskitchPosted 1/28/2013 2:47:15 PM
FF7 is way overrated.
---
"But just when everyone had let their guard down, a vast number of AIDA tentacles have appeared and pierced Atoli's body...."
#12Psycho_PoodlePosted 1/28/2013 2:47:17 PM
I can answer this in two ways:

1. Is is as historically significant as FF7, and is at as groundbreaking as that game was in 1997?

No.

2. Would you rather be playing Ni No Kuni than Final Fantasy 7 right now, at this very minute?

Yes.
---
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing... after they've tried everything else."
-Winston Churchill
#13ryuuXfinnPosted 1/28/2013 2:50:31 PM
playboyskitch posted...
FF7 is way overrated.

This. Also while the fanboys are crying that aerith died I was laughing out loud.
#14TheSpectrePosted 1/28/2013 2:54:14 PM
ryuuXfinn posted...
playboyskitch posted...
FF7 is way overrated.

This. Also while the fanboys are crying that aerith died I was laughing out loud.

Glad you mentioned this to help prove the point you argue against. Definitely shows how popular FF7 was, Aeris dying was one of the biggest moments in FF/JRPG history. Love it or hate it, that event was a pretty big deal in the gaming community back then.
---
http://picard.ytmnd.com/
#15Griever4Posted 1/28/2013 3:11:49 PM
So Funny how many self-proclaimed video game historian we have on this web site.

Statements such as "FFVII is legendary for many reasons and deserving of very few of them" are illogic and paradoxical.

when something or someone becomes legendary, it's by the standards that have been established by mass population and history itself. Arguing that those reasons were not deserved is merely personal opinion and should not be applied as actual fact.

Michael Jordan is a legendary basketball player. That is a fact. If someone comes along and says "the reasons for which he became a legend are not deserved", most of the rest of the population will either say "that is your personal opinion, interesting as it may be" or "who the hell are you to make such a ridiculous claim" either way, that person doesnt change anything by stating his/her opinion.

Same concept applies here.

Final fantasy VII is a legendary game. period. it was given that status by the general population and culture for many reasons. Poping up out of nowhere on a message board and claiming those reasons were not deserved is irrelevant to the true status of the game.

Like it or not, FF VII is legendary and will always be legendary.

(cant believe I wrote the word legendary that many times and never made a "wait for it" pun... hmmm)
---
Playing: Torchlight 2, Ni no Kuni Wrath of the White Witch
Waiting to Play: Final Fantasy XIII Versus, Kingdom Hearts 3, Sim City
#16The_King82Posted 1/28/2013 3:11:54 PM
FFVII is untouchable. NNK is a close second.
#17nukedduckPosted 1/28/2013 3:15:51 PM
Tevren posted...
It's better, ff6 was garbage. A better question is if this is the new ff7.

Fixd ;)
---
PSN ID: radiatedduck
the most wonderful thing about radiatedducks, is IM THE ONLY ONE!!!
#18kingofjamaicaPosted 1/28/2013 3:17:02 PM
No. FFVII is as popular and critically acclaimed as it is for a reason. And yes, it MORE than stands the test of time.

Sure, this game is great so far. The gameplay is straight up 90s JRPG, which is all anyone has been asking for this gen, but the game isn't as good as FFVII.

Also, the gameplay is one of the only good things about the game so far(just got the dragon). Story and characters are predictable and formulaic, and I give absolutely zero ****s about any of them. Music is completely forgettable and unimportant as well. Graphics are fantastic though.

But yeah, if it wasn't for the gameplay, I would seriously be regretting my purchase of this game.
---
At some point, you're going to have to talk to a tree and do what it says. - Arbor Day Rule, Grand List of RPG Cliches.
#19nukedduckPosted 1/28/2013 3:20:46 PM
kingofjamaica posted...
No. FFVII is as popular and critically acclaimed as it is for a reason. And yes, it MORE than stands the test of time.

Sure, this game is great so far. The gameplay is straight up 90s JRPG, which is all anyone has been asking for this gen, but the game isn't as good as FFVII.

Also, the gameplay is one of the only good things about the game so far(just got the dragon). Story and characters are predictable and formulaic, and I give absolutely zero ****s about any of them. Music is completely forgettable and unimportant as well. Graphics are fantastic though.

But yeah, if it wasn't for the gameplay, I would seriously be regretting my purchase of this game.

The gameplay is great and all, but you're seriously bashing a story that was literally made to be animated by studio ghibli?? I mean yea they didn't write it, but as far as the musical score goes thats untouchable. Joe hisaishi always composes his works after hes gotten to know the scenarios that they will be coupled with. Calm down there sport.
---
PSN ID: radiatedduck
the most wonderful thing about radiatedducks, is IM THE ONLY ONE!!!
#20kingofjamaicaPosted 1/28/2013 3:26:40 PM(edited)
kingofjamaica posted...

The gameplay is great and all, but you're seriously bashing a story that was literally made to be animated by studio ghibli?? I mean yea they didn't write it, but as far as the musical score goes thats untouchable. Joe hisaishi always composes his works after hes gotten to know the scenarios that they will be coupled with. Calm down there sport.

I don't care who wrote the music. If I can't, off the top of my head, remember a single track from the game then it's not a good musical score. And the story and direction were done entirely by Level 5. Trust me, if it was a Studio Ghibli story I wouldn't have bothered. Their works are absurdly overrated. The only Studio Ghibli work I enjoyed watching was Princess Mononoke. Howl's Moving Castle was boring as hell, and Ponyo wasn't even watchable.
---
At some point, you're going to have to talk to a tree and do what it says. - Arbor Day Rule, Grand List of RPG Cliches.