is this the new ff7?

#111PhaseSlaethePosted 1/29/2013 10:23:44 AM
I like how nobody sees it as hilarious that FF7's acclaim isn't from actually being a good game on its own, but just on how many waves it created.

When you actually look at FF7 like a game and not some ice-breaker, it isn't that good. It was just "wow" factor with all the cutscenes. The actual game wasn't any better than every previous RPG.
#112kkeevvPosted 1/29/2013 10:26:36 AM
Nophoria88 posted...
Well I can count the number of AAA (Read: Not A or AA) console jrpgs of this generation on two fingers, Ni No Kuni and possibly Xenoblade (haven't personally played it). And if you have an HDTV, Xenoblade will look like FF7 unfortunately lol. Anyway if you look at the polish Ni No Kuni has, you don't get games like this often.

Except most of the polish is visual. They certainly didn't put too much polish into the battle system, lol.
---
Check out my quote.
#113Thanatos2kPosted 1/29/2013 10:27:29 AM
I like how nobody sees it as hilarious that FF7's acclaim isn't from actually being a good game on its own, but just on how many waves it created.

Make no mistake - FF7 is a very good game on its own.
---
-Thanatos2k-
#114MuflagginPosted 1/29/2013 10:49:38 AM
Pokemon is the only other RPG that made such a huge impact..

And it's STILL going strong, 15 years later........

But...but...Ni No Kuni will have the same impact. You'll see!!!!!!!
---
"In the real world. You see that's where most people live and that's where Lara Croft is more well-known than Mario." - LuminescentRule
#115PhaseSlaethePosted 1/29/2013 10:52:00 AM
Thanatos2k posted...

I haven't made a mistake - FF7 isn't a very good game on its own.
#116XKaliburPosted 1/31/2013 4:17:17 PM
kingofjamaica posted...
Obsidus posted...
FF7 is probably the most overrated game of all time, on any console. The game had a decent combat system, Materia was awesome, the Limit Breaks were cool, and it wowed people and stuck in their memories at the time due to the groundbreaking FMVs. However, it has some of the poorest stories/charatcers/dialogue ever in a game, in fact the story and the characters are so bad, it literally boggles my mind how the game has been able to rest on rose colored glasses and nostalgia SO much for so long. It's one of those games where people are incapable of being objective about it, because it is too close to their hearts, which is fine; but objectively the game was mediocre to bad in some ways and doesn't deserve the long standing hype and accolades it gets.

I got it the day it came out, and for a handful of years thought it was the greatest game ever. But maturity, objectivity and hindsight have revealed all its flaws to me, and I'm now able to see it for what it is, and isn't. And no, no matter how famous or popular it is, that doesn't mean squat when it comes to its flaws; it just means a whole lot of people are not very discerning, critical, or objective. FF7 is basically the Lady Gaga of the RPG world in that sense.

FF7 wished its story was as good as FFT or Xenogears.

Xenogears was originally supposed to be FFVII.

And see, I would've been fine with that. Instead we had whiny, shallow heroes for FF7, 8, and 10 that seemed to follow a similar paradigm. FF9 managed to break the mold and be awesome.

Also, I should be a little more fair, Xenogears came out later than FF7 so it had a time advantage, FF7 was very early into the console lifespan. But of all my PSX RPGs the only ones I go back to play are Xenogears, Breath of Fire 3, Suikoden 2, and FFT. Sometimes I feel masochistic and play SaGa Frontier or Legend of Dragoon. I never feel any pull to revisit FF7.
---
This has been Fisting 101 with Bastard Poetry.
#117nukedduckPosted 1/31/2013 4:22:54 PM
PhaseSlaethe posted...
Thanatos2k posted...

I haven't made a mistake - FF7 isn't a very good game on its own.

You havent made "a" mistake. Youve made "many" mistakes. Most of your posts are examples.
---
PSN ID: radiatedduck
the most wonderful thing about radiatedducks, is IM THE ONLY ONE!!!
#118disgaeamanPosted 1/31/2013 4:33:17 PM
We could argue what games better till the end of time but really you cant compare the two. There both great games and both deserve praise.
---
A lifetime to build a moment to destroy are humans masters of creation or destruction ?
XBL Gamertag : Adonis 606
#119Ilikemyname420Posted 1/31/2013 4:38:15 PM
FF7 was as big as it was, pretty much just due to the ad campaign. When it came out you would have to have lived under a rock not to have seen the commercials...really I haven't seen that with any other JRPG after that at anywhere the same level.
#120JuanZoloPosted 1/31/2013 4:41:32 PM
RedWarlord posted...
Rydiafan013 posted...

I played FF 1'4 and 6 before 7 and i hated then like i do now ... but the game was amazing for what it did for future RPG's .. you can hate a game but still respect it for how it changed rpg's

I can respect that. But i do not think NNK has changed RPGs or made any significant marks like FF7 did. I don't even think some of the most popular RPGs out there today have made the same kind of impact as FF7. Seriously, think back, everyone. What RPG has really made a mark in the last 10 years. I'm racking my brain.

Oblivion
---
If the doors of perception were to be cleansed, everything would appear as it truly is-Infinite.