is this the new ff7?

#121ShibutoPosted 1/31/2013 7:31:09 PM
lol this topic is hilarious...

FF7 wasn't that great, yes it got critical acclaim and accolades, but so will this game that is no different. It was popular because at the time there was nothing else, all RPGs moved to the PS1 from Nintendo.

FF7 has always had a very generic story, it was no different than previous FFs (save for a special twists), the battle system was average at best in fact its a simpler ATB syste,m, the materia system was lame, and the overrated "ZOMG I CRIED WHEN AERITH DIED!!!" wasn't unexpected. The only thing that had it coming was the 3D graphics and even that it aged terribly bad..

I find it hilarious that people say "ZOMG THIS GAME WILL NEVER GET THE SAME STATUS"...please...there is no "status" with FF7 its just something that the kiddies at the time had in their minds, those who barely started playing JRPGs.
---
"I saw GAMEFAQs with faqs being spelled like faqs instead of facts I figured poor grammar to be welcomed" -MiKe345675
#122MagoichiPosted 1/31/2013 7:35:23 PM
it was no different than previous FFs (save for a special twists)

Those were in previous games as well. Just not in FMV form, of course.
#123professorsnakePosted 1/31/2013 7:44:53 PM
Simple answer no

Long answer ff7 revolutionized RPGs this game takes older concepts and put it into a blender, thowdone very well and one of the better games this gen, however it cant compete with ff7
#124ShibutoPosted 1/31/2013 7:58:53 PM
Simple answer no

Long answer ff7 revolutionized RPGs this game takes older concepts and put it into a blender, thowdone very well and one of the better games this gen, however it cant compete with ff7

See what I mean?
---
"I saw GAMEFAQs with faqs being spelled like faqs instead of facts I figured poor grammar to be welcomed" -MiKe345675
#125NewMoonShadowPosted 1/31/2013 8:01:43 PM
Shibuto posted...
I find it hilarious that people say "ZOMG THIS GAME WILL NEVER GET THE SAME STATUS"...please...there is no "status" with FF7 its just something that the kiddies at the time had in their minds, those who barely started playing JRPGs.

Claiming there's no "status" with FF7 is either ignorance or trolling. There's no two ways about it, really. Your opinion is your opinion but if you seriously can't see the game's historical significance AND its enduring popularity, you're fooling yourself.
#126ShibutoPosted 1/31/2013 8:03:32 PM
Claiming there's no "status" with FF7 is either ignorance or trolling. There's no two ways about it, really. Your opinion is your opinion but if you seriously can't see the game's historical significance AND its enduring popularity, you're fooling yourself.

Is that so? What kind of "historical significance" you talk about anyway? That a generic RPG became popular?
---
#127NewMoonShadowPosted 1/31/2013 8:09:35 PM
Shibuto posted...

Is that so? What kind of "historical significance" you talk about anyway? That a generic RPG became popular?

1: It was the first game to use pre-rendered cutscenes for story sequences, which opened a whole new technique that games for generations used to expand upon the scope of their storytelling. Even today games are still using this where in-game graphics would make the system's processor pee itself.

2: It made the JRPG one of the biggest genres of the PlayStation era, if not THE primary genre that defined the system as a whole, and is actually what put what had formerly been a niche foreign staple into an international system-seller.

3: It turned the tide of the console war, Squaresoft's "defection" from Nintendo paved the way for Sony's console-war dominance for two entire hardware generations, and FF7 was the single biggest turning point of them all.
#128ShibutoPosted 1/31/2013 8:30:45 PM
1: It was the first game to use pre-rendered cutscenes for story sequences, which opened a whole new technique that games for generations used to expand upon the scope of their storytelling. Even today games are still using this where in-game graphics would make the system's processor pee itself.

2: It made the JRPG one of the biggest genres of the PlayStation era, if not THE primary genre that defined the system as a whole, and is actually what put what had formerly been a niche foreign staple into an international system-seller.

3: It turned the tide of the console war, Squaresoft's "defection" from Nintendo paved the way for Sony's console-war dominance for two entire hardware generations, and FF7 was the single biggest turning point of them all.

1. A lot of games before FF7 already had pre-rendered cutscenes it was nothing new, the PS1 was build around it in it that it had a dedicated M-JPEG processor.

2. At the time the JRPG genre was already popular enough , the only instance in which the JRPG genre was popular was when FF7 came out. After FF7 the JRPG genre went back to how it was before, no JRPG sold as much as FF7, sure we had more JRPGs in the hopes that it would be as popular but none of them were close to FF7.

3. The console war was already lost by Nintendo, they delayed the N64 so many times a lot of projects moved to the PS1 due to accessibility and because it came out first, has nothing to do with FF7 being popular. Though it did feel like FF7 did something about it, the reason why it was a big deal was because JRPG fans had move to the PS1 even before FF7 came out.
---
#129NewMoonShadowPosted 1/31/2013 8:44:22 PM(edited)
Shibuto posted...
1. A lot of games before FF7 already had pre-rendered cutscenes it was nothing new, the PS1 was build around it in it that it had a dedicated M-JPEG processor.

Okay, let me elaborate, story-related pre-rendered cutscenes that told a story in conjunction with the in-game graphics. Not glory-shots of people doing random stupid things between platformer levels.

2. At the time the JRPG genre was already popular enough , the only instance in which the JRPG genre was popular was when FF7 came out. After FF7 the JRPG genre went back to how it was before, no JRPG sold as much as FF7, sure we had more JRPGs in the hopes that it would be as popular but none of them were close to FF7.

The JRPG genre wasn't that popular beforehand. There were some notably popular exceptions like FF III(VI) and Super Mario RPG, but the JRPG was far from "Popular", in the West at least.

3. The console war was already lost by Nintendo, they delayed the N64 so many times a lot of projects moved to the PS1 due to accessibility and because it came out first, has nothing to do with FF7 being popular.

I'm not saying Nintendo didn't f*** up in various ways, or that FF7 was the only contributing factor to the PS's success (The PS had huge support from all third parties), but it did a lot of damage.

Though it did feel like FF7 did something about it, the reason why it was a big deal was because JRPG fans had move to the PS1 even before FF7 came out.

... What? There were a grand total of 3 JRPG's released (in America at least, not sure about Japan) for the PlayStation before FF7 came out, and one of those only pre-dated it by one month. Beyond the Beyond, Suikoden, and Wild Arms were it. I fail to see how "JRPG fans moved to the PS1" at a time when it had barely any JRPG's on it.
#130Tim333Posted 1/31/2013 9:03:30 PM(edited)
Man, I wish people wouldn't equate FF7 with games like FF8 (terrible, nonsensical story) and FF10 (Just utter unmitigated crap). It was a great game, and though the story was overly convoluted, which I will admit was a flaw, it made sense once you pieced it together. What's more, it had a compelling arc - not just with the plot, but with the characters. Yes, Cloud was a brooding, somewhat whiny protagonist, but there were good reasons for that and I don't think he was supposed to be likeable at the start of the game. He opens up as the game goes on. As for the setting, it seems like a generic RPG now just because so many games copied it. At the time, it was quite interesting.

Ni no Kuni. It's a fun game and I would recommend it to all JRPG fans, but in no way is it the new FF7. The graphics, art design, music and world building are all brilliant, and the gameplay is quite satisfying if you're into JRPGs in the classic style. Where the game falls far short of classic status is with the story. Every time Ni no Kuni threatens to be interesting, it shoots itself in the foot with a magical Deus Ex Machina. Nothing is learned, nothing is lost, nothing is ever really threatened. There's no real conflict. At least not so far, and I'm 20 hours in. The story is childish in a bad way, refusing to allow you to become emotionally invested in it. I've played JRPGs with worse stories (I refer you again to FF8 and so forth), but "competent" is the best word I can use for this game's. At least quite a bit of the dialogue is clever and gets some laughs out of me; if it weren't for that, I'd almost be tempted to skip reading the text.
---
Game Center CX... Kacho ON!