is this the new ff7?

#131ShibutoPosted 1/31/2013 8:25:48 PM
Man, I wish people wouldn't equate FF7 with games like FF8 (terrible, nonsensical story) and FF10 (Just utter unmitigated crap). It was a great game, and though the story was overly convoluted, which I will admit was a flaw, it made sense once you pieced it together. What's more, it had a compelling arc - not just with the plot, but with the characters. Yes, Cloud was a brooding, somewhat whiny protagonist, but there were good reasons for that and I don't think he was supposed to be likeable at the start of the game. He opens up as the game goes on. As for the setting, it seems like a generic RPG now just because so many games copied it. At the time, it was quite interesting.

Ni no Kuni. It's a fun game and I would recommend it to all JRPG fans, but in no way is it the new FF7. The graphics, art design, music and world building are all brilliant, and the gameplay is quite satisfying if you're into JRPGs in the classic style. Where the game falls far short of classic status is with the story. Every time Ni no Kuni threatens to be interesting, it shoots itself in the foot with a magical Deus Ex Machina. Nothing is learned, nothing is lost, nothing is ever really threatened. There's no real conflict. At least not so far, and I'm 20 hours in. The story is childish in a bad way, refusing to allow you to become emotionally invested in it. I've played JRPGs with worse stories (I refer you again to FF8 and so forth), but "competent" is the best word I can use for this game's. At least quite a bit of the dialogue is clever and gets some laughs out of me; if it weren't for that, I'd almost be tempted to skip reading the text.

The game was not meant to be an emotional trip like FFs tend to be, its supposed to be good in heart with dialogue that you can relate to. Yes it is made for kids but adults can "understand" it as much. Its a different kind of story that can't be compared to the emotional mess that was FF7 or epic stories like FF9 or love stories from FF8.
---
"I saw GAMEFAQs with faqs being spelled like faqs instead of facts I figured poor grammar to be welcomed" -MiKe345675
#132ArmitacoPosted 1/31/2013 8:26:02 PM
Certainly not. I'm always surprised at how much hate ff7 gets on every board like this. Realistically speaking, the only thing anyone can critisize ff7 for is either being out of date (because y'know, that happens to games), or for shadowing other jrpgs, and hurting their fame.

Ni No Kuni is a fantastic game (so far, I'm not finished), but no it won't become the next ff7. But it's main achievement so far has definitely been reinstating a great amount of faith in the JRPG genre for older gen fans (anywhere from 3rd to 5th gen).

But yeah, sadly no one will talk much about this game in 15 years.
#133Isaac_RedfieldPosted 1/31/2013 8:36:17 PM(edited)
Prismsblade posted...
Ff7 is no where near as loved today as back then, as people are far more aware of its awful characters, plot, and graphics.

Lol what? I've been arguing for over a decade about how terribly overrated FF7 was, while most everyone else was calling it the epitome of RPGs. When did this view suddenly change; in the last year?

Ironically, that's kind of how Ni No Kuni is in a way. Everyone is making such a huge deal about it now, but that's mostly due to it's presentation. The game itself is pretty shallow, basic and doesn't really offer anything new, so for now it's a fun JRPG distraction. But that's all that it is.

I wouldn't replay this game in a few years similarly to how I replayed SMT or DQ8. It's simply not compelling enough. I mean, I've already finished it twice, but the second time around was more of a powergaming trip, and it was all academic.
#134Tim333Posted 1/31/2013 8:59:30 PM

Shibuto posted...
The game was not meant to be an emotional trip like FFs tend to be, its supposed to be good in heart with dialogue that you can relate to. Yes it is made for kids but adults can "understand" it as much. Its a different kind of story that can't be compared to the emotional mess that was FF7 or epic stories like FF9 or love stories from FF8.

Well, that is true, but the topic asks a question and I answered it. Anyway, I guess I'm disappointed in the story because Level-5 has handled Dragon Quest well (8, 9) and this game isn't in the same league as anything in that series in terms of emotionally involving storytelling.
---
Game Center CX... Kacho ON!
#135Isaac_RedfieldPosted 1/31/2013 9:07:53 PM(edited)
If you haven't heard the podcast yet, there's a good one up on Gamespot now. Phil Kollar doesn't seem to think the game is anything special other than the graphics either.

Tim333 posted...
Well, that is true, but the topic asks a question and I answered it. Anyway, I guess I'm disappointed in the story because Level-5 has handled Dragon Quest well (8, 9) and this game isn't in the same league as anything in that series in terms of emotionally involving storytelling.

Level 5 worked with Sqaure/Enix. They didn't develop DQ8 by themselves.
#136PinkPikachuPosted 2/1/2013 11:08:25 PM(edited)
final fantasy seven was the greatest game of all time
---
PSN: Tron_Carter
#137-BrokenSpiral-Posted 2/2/2013 2:46:04 PM
Tim333 posted...
Yes, Cloud was a brooding, somewhat whiny protagonist, but there were good reasons for that and I don't think he was supposed to be likeable at the start of the game.

Cloud wasn't like that in FFVII. I don't know why people keep saying this. But yes, he does have plenty of reason to be down afterward, which lasts until somewhere in the middle of the movie.
#138VejitaSS4Posted 2/2/2013 2:51:36 PM
this topic really made me want to play FF7 again
---
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Lazarus-1896/hero/24997933
#139ajmrowlandPosted 2/2/2013 4:45:16 PM
I rank them about the same.