is this the new ff7?

#21nukedduckPosted 1/28/2013 3:31:53 PM
kingofjamaica posted...
kingofjamaica posted...
No. FFVII is as popular and critically acclaimed as it is for a reason. And yes, it MORE than stands the test of time.

Sure, this game is great so far. The gameplay is straight up 90s JRPG, which is all anyone has been asking for this gen, but the game isn't as good as FFVII.

Also, the gameplay is one of the only good things about the game so far(just got the dragon). Story and characters are predictable and formulaic, and I give absolutely zero ****s about any of them. Music is completely forgettable and unimportant as well. Graphics are fantastic though.

But yeah, if it wasn't for the gameplay, I would seriously be regretting my purchase of this game.

The gameplay is great and all, but you're seriously bashing a story that was literally made to be animated by studio ghibli?? I mean yea they didn't write it, but as far as the musical score goes thats untouchable. Joe hisaishi always composes his works after hes gotten to know the scenarios that they will be coupled with. Calm down there sport.

I don't care who wrote the music. If I can't, off the top of my head, remember a single track from the game then it's not a good musical score. And the story and direction were done entirely by Level 5. Trust me, if it was a Studio Ghibli story I wouldn't have bothered. Their works are absurdly overrated. The only Studio Ghibli work I enjoyed watching was Princess Mononoke. Howl's Moving Castle was boring as hell, and Ponyo wasn't even watchable.

Okay since youre clearly the expert on movies, games AND music you win. By the way, next time you try to sound like you know what you're talking about, dont start your point with the words "I don't care..." It really makes you sound credible.
---
PSN ID: radiatedduck
the most wonderful thing about radiatedducks, is IM THE ONLY ONE!!!
#22DboyC83Posted 1/28/2013 3:37:05 PM
It's hard to compare these games.

It would be easier to compare NNK to Pokemon.

The battle systems for NnK and FFVII are too different, materia system vs. NNKs refreshing variation on Pokemon.

FFVII was for its time more impactful because the opening world Was Midgar which is the most developed town in gaming history next to hyrule. Then realizing Midgar was a microcosm compared to the rest of the world map.

FF7 brought me into its world on a much more epic scale, in my opinion, than the other world of NNK.
---
FACT: this is not an opinion.
#23Greeny83Posted 1/28/2013 3:37:10 PM
Whether it's better than FF7 or not is arguable and a matter of opinion, but there's no doubt that this will age much better than FF7 has.
#24nukedduckPosted 1/28/2013 3:41:36 PM
DboyC83 posted...
It's hard to compare these games.

It would be easier to compare NNK to Pokemon.

The battle systems for NnK and FFVII are too different, materia system vs. NNKs refreshing variation on Pokemon.

FFVII was for its time more impactful because the opening world Was Midgar which is the most developed town in gaming history next to hyrule. Then realizing Midgar was a microcosm compared to the rest of the world map.

FF7 brought me into its world on a much more epic scale, in my opinion, than the other world of NNK.

I agree, I still get caught up playing ff7 from time to time. Sure I'll chalk it up to nostalgia of being 8 years old again, but the world seemed so huge when you first got out of midgar.
---
PSN ID: radiatedduck
the most wonderful thing about radiatedducks, is IM THE ONLY ONE!!!
#25Tenchi UKPosted 1/28/2013 3:46:41 PM
FFVII to me had allot of improvements over a few of the prior games.

while FFV is probably my favourite gameplay wise i did enjoy the world in FFVII (ignoring the sequals) each location was unique where previous final fantasies often had shared tilesets between towns/dungeons/buildings etc

While the game isnt for everyone i feel its certainly not deserving of some of the hate it gets.

to be fair the sequals and spinoffs did sour my views of the game a while back until i got the chance to play through it again when it came to psn.

I went in expecting to dislike it but was surprised by how enjoyable it was.
---
Pear into Peaches!
#26KuoxPosted 1/28/2013 4:20:13 PM
No. FF7 was legendary, sold millions, and made JRPGs mainstream in the west. This game will do no such thing.

And as much as I like this game, and I really do like it, FF7 is a better game even today.
---
Not that bad
#27BrightShield786Posted 1/28/2013 4:20:44 PM
kingofjamaica posted...
Story and characters are predictable and formulaic

And yet this also applies to FFVII. Perhaps even more so...
---
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword." - Eddard Stark - A Game of Thrones
#28Super SlashPosted 1/28/2013 4:23:21 PM
You know what's ironic? People claim FF7 is overrated, but you actually see more haters for it than you do lovers.
#29SlimeSwayzePosted 1/28/2013 4:29:09 PM
As far as I'm concerned this game is the new Dragon's Quest VIII, which makes it a far better game that FFVII.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#30SigmaHacielPosted 1/28/2013 4:31:46 PM
SlimeSwayze posted...
As far as I'm concerned this game is the new Dragon's Quest VIII, which makes it a far better game that FFVII.

This.

The only accolade for FF7 was the popularity boost effect it had. The game itself was just basic. At everything.