is this the new ff7?

#31Thanatos2kPosted 1/28/2013 4:33:02 PM(edited)
FF7 was a system seller. No game on the PS3 is going to hit that status anymore. Maybe something in the next gen, but I doubt it.
---
-Thanatos2k-
#32Yuji KaidoPosted 1/28/2013 4:35:34 PM
Super Slash posted...
You know what's ironic? People claim FF7 is overrated, but you actually see more haters for it than you do lovers.

This.
It's still one of my favorite RPG's however even with all the hate. I figured out that most people who dislike/hate FF7 just resent it's status in RPG world and none of their fav RPG's have had the impact it had.
---
Sazh - Racist caricature and worst FF character ever. Don't agree ? Your problem.
You can't cook, you won't get naked...what are you even good for ?! - Yosuke
#33SigmaHacielPosted 1/28/2013 4:37:54 PM
Yuji Kaido posted...
Super Slash posted...
You know what's ironic? People claim FF7 is overrated, but you actually see more haters for it than you do lovers.

This.
It's still one of my favorite RPG's however even with all the hate. I figured out that most people who dislike/hate FF7 just resent it's status in RPG world and none of their fav RPG's have had the impact it had.

The pedestaled status doesn't make it a good game. The impact doesn't make it a good game.

RPGs were FANTASTIC before FF7 came along with cutscenes which have become the worst mechanic ever introduced to gaming.
#34XKaliburPosted 1/28/2013 4:38:19 PM
I would've liked FF7 when it came out... had I not previously played 4 and 6 and FFT. The story was bland and tried too hard to be complex. The graphics, or at least the CGI, was quite good for the time, so I will give it that, but the magic system wasn't that innovative either... still better than FF8's draw system, however.

Honestly I'd say I could see Ni No Kuni becoming the next Suikoden 2.
---
This has been Fisting 101 with Bastard Poetry.
#35popliyoPosted 1/28/2013 4:38:41 PM
Yuji Kaido posted...
Super Slash posted...

This.

Remember that you will generally hear more vocalized dissent over praise simply due to the human condition. Also, my experience was that somewhere along the years it pretty clearly became "cool" to hate FFVII.
---
trolls are stupid people who have tricked themselves into thinking that merely pretending to be an idiot is different from actually being an idiot. -Detsuaxhe
#36lol_whatPosted 1/28/2013 4:41:09 PM
Factpinon 1: FF7 is still one of the best rpgs ever made, and I say this as someone who played it for the first time last year.

Factpinion 2: The fanbase of ff7 is/was horrible and only focuses on superficial parts of the game and ignores all the actually interesting parts. The devs in turn pandered toward this subset of people and made a bunch of spinoffs that turned the characters into cardboard cutouts and missed a lot of what made the original such a hit.

given these two facpinions, the new ff7 is persona 4

I can see this game being the nre ff9 though, people ignoring the pretty flawed gameplay because "oh man this light hearted fantasy setting is so cool!!"
#37katamoriPosted 1/28/2013 4:43:28 PM
SigmaHaciel posted...
Yuji Kaido posted...
Super Slash posted...

This.

The pedestaled status doesn't make it a good game. The impact doesn't make it a good game.

RPGs were FANTASTIC before FF7 came along with cutscenes which have become the worst mechanic ever introduced to gaming.

I have to agree.Played FF7 when it came out and it wasn't bad but it was far from the "greatness" that people have more or less described over the years.If I had to put in on a scale it would have to be around a 6.5/10-7.5/10.Not fantastic but still playable.I can think of at least a handful of ps1 RPGs I liked more Chrono cross and Legend of Dragoon being 2 of them.That being said it's impossible for games to live up to the status and hype it has gotten whether it be justified or not simply due to the fact that it brought about changes which most of cannot happen again obviously.
---
PSN:helcalv
#38fayehintoPosted 1/28/2013 4:43:40 PM
Hmm... No... The game market is very different now.

The game market is much more saturated now. Meaning no one game can become a legend of it's time. Many single games can take credit for making small innovated leaps in the gaming industry. But in the days of FF7, FF7 was the first game of it's kind that was enjoyed by a mass audience.

I think this game is an excellent, polished game. But I don't think it offers anything new to the market. But it is the result of " improving upon and perfecting" an old formula.
#39Yuji KaidoPosted 1/28/2013 4:44:43 PM
SigmaHaciel posted...
Yuji Kaido posted...
Super Slash posted...

This.

Lulz. I didn't say that. I enjoyed Super Mario RPG and others just as much as 7.

FF7 was one of the most influential RPG's ever. People resent that. Nowhere did I imply that made it a good game or awesome game.
The fact that the mere mention of it sparks so many emotions in others is only a testament to its impact on the gaming world. No other RPG generates so much love/hatred as 7.
---
Sazh - Racist caricature and worst FF character ever. Don't agree ? Your problem.
You can't cook, you won't get naked...what are you even good for ?! - Yosuke
#40NewMoonShadowPosted 1/28/2013 4:50:05 PM
Prismsblade posted...
Ff7 is no where near as loved today as back then, as people are far more aware of its awful characters, plot, and graphics.

For its time FF7's graphics were cutting edge. Of COURSE it doesn't look good anymore stacked up next to today's games, but at the time they were pretty revolutionary. Also despite its blocky polygon-characters its backgrounds were and still are quite beautiful.

That is the key word when it comes to FF7, actually. It was a revolutionary game that brought new ideas that are being mimicked even today. Say what you will about it in hindsight, at the time no game captured the imaginations of gamers and Developers alike like that game, as to what was possible in a video game format.