is this the new ff7?

#51hhjghbhghnmhPosted 1/28/2013 6:07:02 PM
KukaiDragon posted...
Thanatos2k posted...
RPGs were FANTASTIC before FF7 came along with cutscenes which have become the worst mechanic ever introduced to gaming.

Chrono Trigger had cutscenes.

So did FF6.

The original versions didn't. The PS remakes did. I could be mistaken but I don't think I am.

And to the OP...no... no it's not. I'm not incredibly far in Ni No Kuni but I do not think FF7 will be beat when comparing it properly. For it's time FF7 was absolutely amazing. I don't think NNK has that. I love the look and the game itself, but it does not contain that same, "Holy crap look at this!" feel that I had when I first played FF7.

The PS remakes had the anime/CG cutscenes, but they were always just remade versions of the original scenes that always followed. If you're just talking about those cutscenes that suddenly change the look of everything and are kinda removed from the game, then the originals didn't have them. But parts where the action stops and we just see the characters moving and talking have of course been going on for a long time before that.

But yeah, I don't know that we can really compare them. I still enjoy Final Fantasy VII and I still think the story's pretty good, but different strokes I guess. I don't think this will have nearly the impact FFVII had, though.
---
Barrel!
#52vgsrulePosted 1/28/2013 6:07:22 PM
After not reading anything but the first few posts, since this topic quickly degraded into FF7 vs. NNK, and a bunch of people saying that FF7 is "obviously" terrible, and that it's legacy is just nostalgia...

I find it very unlikely that this game will be on anyone's radar a year or 2 from now.
---
http://backloggery.com/khff123
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/A_Metal_Pipe
#53SkrallRampagerPosted 1/28/2013 6:11:30 PM(edited)
FF7 was lightning in a bottle.
Simple as that.

It came at the right time, with the right gameplay, with the right graphics and mechanics.

Nowadays, it's a good game. It's not a "great" game by today's standards but that's besides the point. It had perfect timing when it came out.

I doubt any RPG for a long while will achieve the same notoriety as FF7. It would need to do something MASSIVE.
#54papajagPosted 1/28/2013 6:17:31 PM
Aeris DIES?!?!? Way to spoil it guys ;p
---
"God is nothing but a fragment created by the human mind so that they can live their lives believing they are safe." -yomomma influenced by Dead Space
#55matu90rkPosted 1/28/2013 6:18:18 PM
papajag posted...
Aeris DIES?!?!? Way to spoil it guys ;p

Darth Vader is Luke's father, and Bruce Willis is a ghost.
#56-BrokenSpiral-Posted 1/28/2013 6:21:36 PM
lol_what posted...
Factpinon 1: FF7 is still one of the best rpgs ever made, and I say this as someone who played it for the first time last year.

Same, though I first played it two years ago. That materia system was fun as hell, and I could tinker with it for hours.

NewMoonShadow posted...
For its time FF7's graphics were cutting edge. Of COURSE it doesn't look good anymore stacked up next to today's games, but at the time they were pretty revolutionary. Also despite its blocky polygon-characters its backgrounds were and still are quite beautiful.

I went into it thinking the graphics complaints were ubiquitous. Turned out that while the character models aren't the best, the environments looked fantastic.
#57Devil_wings00Posted 1/28/2013 6:22:53 PM
Well considering FF7 almost single handedly popularized a genre that had been, up to that point, fairly niche (outside japan anyway) into one of the biggest genre's for almost two gaming gen's, I'd have to say no.

Ni no Kuni is just a great game but I doubt it's going to usher in the second coming of JRPG's as a dominant genre in gaming.
---
3570k @ 1.260v - 4.6Ghz, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, Intel 335 SSD (boot).
#58SlaynPosted 1/28/2013 6:27:18 PM
It isn't FF7 at all. FF7 is one of the most popular JRPG of all time. This is more of a lesser known hipster JRPG that gets a lot of praise from it's fanbase because it isn't mainstream.
---
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116
#59El_ZaggyPosted 1/28/2013 6:33:07 PM
loljrpg
come on be serious, startb playting real games.
#60mistermikeymikePosted 1/28/2013 6:36:24 PM
IMRavnos posted...

FFVII is legendary for many reasons and deserving of very few of them. Heck it's not even top 3 FF games according to many long term FF fans.

Most FF fans will put 7 as a consensus top 3. idk what you're talking about. if by many you mean as a flat number instead of a large % then yeah that would make sense. but hey a large amount of people also believe in ghosts.

most longterm ff fans i see like 4/6/7/9.
---
So Damn Foxy.