is this the new ff7?

#81ObsidusPosted 1/28/2013 8:41:13 PM(edited)
FF7 is probably the most overrated game of all time, on any console. The game had a decent combat system, Materia was awesome, the Limit Breaks were cool, and it wowed people and stuck in their memories at the time due to the groundbreaking FMVs. However, it has some of the poorest stories/charatcers/dialogue ever in a game, in fact the story and the characters are so bad, it literally boggles my mind how the game has been able to rest on rose colored glasses and nostalgia SO much for so long. It's one of those games where people are incapable of being objective about it, because it is too close to their hearts, which is fine; but objectively the game was mediocre to bad in some ways and doesn't deserve the long standing hype and accolades it gets.

I got it the day it came out, and for a handful of years thought it was the greatest game ever. But maturity, objectivity and hindsight have revealed all its flaws to me, and I'm now able to see it for what it is, and isn't. And no, no matter how famous or popular it is, that doesn't mean squat when it comes to its flaws; it just means a whole lot of people are not very discerning, critical, or objective. FF7 is basically the Lady Gaga of the RPG world in that sense.
---
Cultivating an immunity to rebuttal is not a substitute for being correct.
#82AscendoPosted 1/28/2013 8:36:37 PM
No. Ni No Kuni is nowhere near as bad or insipid as Final Fantasy VII.
#83BrightShield786Posted 1/28/2013 9:02:56 PM
Seifer_us posted...
BrightShield786 posted...
Seifer_us posted...
We will never see anything that big in gaming, where RPGs are concerned, ever again. Sorry to be the barer of bad news.

Pokemon would like to have a word with you...

I'll grant you Pokemon; despite the fact that I still have no idea, to this day, why it's so ridiculously popular. I keep expecting it be like Pogs, or friendship bracelets and have its popularity die off, but it's like some kind of super-fad. God, I hate Pokemon.

People can say the same thing about FF7. Not that I agree with them, but what you are saying is completely hypocritical. Sales were what you were using to show that FF7 was legendary, and by that logic Pokemon is even more of a phenomenon. You either have to admit that Pokemon is more legendary than FF7, or admit to being wrong. Hell, if anything FF7 was the fad. Pokemon games are still shattering the 10 million mark with each new release, while FF7 related products can't even break 4 million.

This is why trying to use sales never works. Sales =/= quality
---
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword." - Eddard Stark - A Game of Thrones
#84NewMoonShadowPosted 1/28/2013 9:14:27 PM(edited)
Obsidus posted...
FF7 is probably the most overrated game of all time, on any console. The game had a decent combat system, Materia was awesome, the Limit Breaks were cool, and it wowed people and stuck in their memories at the time due to the groundbreaking FMVs. However, it has some of the poorest stories/charatcers/dialogue ever in a game, in fact the story and the characters are so bad, it literally boggles my mind how the game has been able to rest on rose colored glasses and nostalgia SO much for so long. It's one of those games where people are incapable of being objective about it, because it is too close to their hearts, which is fine; but objectively the game was mediocre to bad in some ways and doesn't deserve the long standing hype and accolades it gets.

I got it the day it came out, and for a handful of years thought it was the greatest game ever. But maturity, objectivity and hindsight have revealed all its flaws to me, and I'm now able to see it for what it is, and isn't. And no, no matter how famous or popular it is, that doesn't mean squat when it comes to its flaws; it just means a whole lot of people are not very discerning, critical, or objective. FF7 is basically the Lady Gaga of the RPG world in that sense.

There is such a thing as rose-colored glasses making things seem better than they are.

There's also such a thing as an overly-critical eye making something seem much worse than it is.

You can nitpick the Hell out of FF7's individual pieces all you want to, rail on the parts that don't make sense or don't hold up as well or aren't explained as clearly as others, but frankly doing that is just looking too closely at it.

The simple fact is that people tend to enjoy the game for what it is the first time they play it. Several people in this thread have said they only played it recently and still enjoyed it.

This means the game is successful in what it set out to do, no matter what flaws you can point out.

The flaws don't become glaring unless you're looking way too hard into it, putting it under a magnifying glass and LOOKING for them in every individual piece, while ignoring the ways the elements of it work together to give an overall feeling and tone that was unrivaled at the time, and is still impressive at times today.

Looking at it so closely that the mood and tone are lost in the specifics is completely ignoring the point of storytelling. You can make any story ever told look like total garbage if you try hard enough, but you're still missing the point.

TL;DR: The phrase "you can't see the forest for the trees" seems appropriate here.
#85XKaliburPosted 1/28/2013 10:50:15 PM
Obsidus posted...

FF7 wished its story was as good as FFT or Xenogears.
---
This has been Fisting 101 with Bastard Poetry.
#86eloeppPosted 1/28/2013 11:19:40 PM
Obsidus posted...

funny how people get their panties in a knot when FF7 is brought up. the characters are awesome. every game I played before just had some generic sword wielding characters. I just don't get where people are coming from at all. the ONLY thing I can possibly agree on that is bad is that the story was slightly generic, but not really. the Sephiroth thing, I guess, but there was a lot more going on in the game beside just Sephiroth. It was all over the place, in a good way. Sephiroth sometimes even seemed like a small part of what you were doing a lot of the time. It wasn't purely about saving the world. There was the weapons and Shrina and tons of character story on the side. The more I'm thinking about it the more the game just seems amazing to me. I just have to say I couldn't disagree more with you. It was so emotional... Aeirth's death, to the cosmo's Canyon thing. Materia was awesome, there was a lot of extra things to do. I hadn't seen anything like "the weapons" in a game before it. I spent tons of time raising Chocobos and playing at the Golden Saucer (snowboarding ftw). The music is unarguably a masterpiece, perhaps the best of any game I've played beside maybe FF6. It almost sounds to me like you didn't even play the game.

Again, I just don't get where you're coming from at all. Do you honestly think it's just purely over rated despite the fact that even now it's (I think) the most downloaded game on PSN for classic games? The best selling FF game still. Highly rated across the board from just about any credible site. Games don't get the popular just because. Believe it or not, there is a reason and I'm sorry you don't recognize it.
#87BrightShield786Posted 1/28/2013 11:46:10 PM
every game I played before just had some generic sword wielding characters.

*Looks at Cloud, Zack, and Sephiroth*

No generic sword wielding characters here...
---
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword." - Eddard Stark - A Game of Thrones
#88Seifer_usPosted 1/29/2013 12:01:53 AM
BrightShield786 posted...

People can say the same thing about FF7. Not that I agree with them, but what you are saying is completely hypocritical. Sales were what you were using to show that FF7 was legendary, and by that logic Pokemon is even more of a phenomenon. You either have to admit that Pokemon is more legendary than FF7, or admit to being wrong. Hell, if anything FF7 was the fad. Pokemon games are still shattering the 10 million mark with each new release, while FF7 related products can't even break 4 million.

This is why trying to use sales never works. Sales =/= quality

I didn't say word one about the quality of Final Fantasy VII. I just said it was a phenomenon, which is true no matter how you slice it. You correctly said that I had forgotten Pokemon, which was also true and I acknowledged that. How was I being hypocritical? Like it or not, they're both a huge part of popular conciousness, and yes, sales are a big part of what determines that.

Where did I say that sales equal quality? Stop getting so blasted defensive and show it to me. Point is, Ni no Kuni is still pretty far under the radar, which will keep it from really entering the pop culture lexicon in the way FFVII and Pokemon have.
---
PSN ID: Shawnji
Trophy List: http://psnprofiles.com/Shawnji
#89Thanatos2kPosted 1/29/2013 12:25:47 AM
FF7 wished its story was as good as FFT or Xenogears.

And Xenogears and FFT wish their graphics were as good as FF7.

Well, Xenogears still does. FFT looks better than FF7 currently, but that wasn't always the case.

I mean, yeah, Xenogears and FFT are both better games overall, but FF7 was top tier at the time.
---
-Thanatos2k-
#90SinstroPosted 1/29/2013 1:00:06 AM
FFvii was good for its time just as NNK is good for its time, but.....

NNK story >>> FFvii story
NNK graphics/style(for this gen) >>> FFvii graphic/style(for its gen)
NNK gameplay >>> FFvii gameplay

I am having way more fun playing NNK than i ever did FFvii and im hoping they make a NNK2