Familiar Feeding - How does it work, exactly?

#1roughdraft11220Posted 1/28/2013 2:50:41 PM
I was one of the many that got their WE cancelled, so I just picked up a regular edition over the weekend.
The game haven't taught me how to feed the familiars, but I have a whole lot of food and I want to get started.

I used an IGN guide and I know that Mite likes chocolate and it's probably the best food to feed him. Attack is the stat I would love to raise on him, so it works out.
However, he was already level 12 when I started feeding him.
Did I lose out by not feeding him earlier?
I can see that the growth limit is 10, does the growth limit raise by leveling?
If so, I probably should start over, right? As I missed 10 growth limit per level.
Or, is growth limit set? So, it wouldn't matter if I start feeding him now or way later?
#2zidane7007Posted 1/28/2013 3:03:21 PM
Oh I hope you didn't start over already. A familiar's level and feeding are entirely independant. A familiar starts with a happiness of 1 heart and 10 possible stat gains. Each time you give them food, their happiness goes up by a little bit along with the stat gain exp from the particular type of food. What feeding a familiar food that they like actually does (like the chocolate that makes Mitey do that adorable little squeak :3) is give them a much larger boost to happiness (not sure how much).

Each time a familiar's happiness increases by a whole heart, its stat growth potential goes up by 10, maxing out at 50. This carries over between metamorphosis as well. This means you could wait until you got your mitey into its final form at level 99 before feeding it to full stat growth and you would see the same result as if you did it all at level 1 first form (or anything else in between). So don't worry! Just feed the familiars when you can afford it, and just grow stats that you want them to have more of, because there's no way to revoke the growth as far as I know. Also don't forget that all food fills their hunger bar, and when they are full they can't eat any more until you have used them in battle (meter decreases by 1 per battle).
---
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5 Ghz, MSI Geforce GTX680 Twinfrozr Ed, 8 gb DDR3 RAM @ 1600 Mhz.
PSN: zidane7007, XBL: Basstardfish
#3roughdraft11220(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 3:13:43 PM
zidane7007 posted...
Oh I hope you didn't start over already. A familiar's level and feeding are entirely independant. A familiar starts with a happiness of 1 heart and 10 possible stat gains. Each time you give them food, their happiness goes up by a little bit along with the stat gain exp from the particular type of food. What feeding a familiar food that they like actually does (like the chocolate that makes Mitey do that adorable little squeak :3) is give them a much larger boost to happiness (not sure how much).

Each time a familiar's happiness increases by a whole heart, its stat growth potential goes up by 10, maxing out at 50. This carries over between metamorphosis as well. This means you could wait until you got your mitey into its final form at level 99 before feeding it to full stat growth and you would see the same result as if you did it all at level 1 first form (or anything else in between). So don't worry! Just feed the familiars when you can afford it, and just grow stats that you want them to have more of, because there's no way to revoke the growth as far as I know. Also don't forget that all food fills their hunger bar, and when they are full they can't eat any more until you have used them in battle (meter decreases by 1 per battle).

Thank you very, very much for taking the time to right out such a detail explanation!
No, I haven't started over, but I was willing to if I screwed up. I'm not that deep into the game anyway.
I'm still at work, can't wait to go home and start playing again!
#4BIackWaltzPosted 1/28/2013 3:13:52 PM
Hey, thanks. Just started and was wondering about this too.

Is it possible to get a familiars stats to 99 for everything?
That is if you dont evolve it till max level, then evolve that to max, then feed it what it needs?
---
- The BIack Waltz
#5Thanatos2kPosted 1/28/2013 3:18:04 PM
It's not "stat growth" but just bonus stats. It has no effect on their growth.

Also it seems the more of a certain stat you boost the harder it becomes to continue to boost that stat.
---
-Thanatos2k-
#6najzerePosted 1/28/2013 3:29:31 PM
Huh, wonder why they don't mention anything about familiars' favorite foods in-game.
---
http://social.bioware.com/n7hq/?name=najzere&platform=ps3
#7AP3BrainPosted 1/28/2013 3:43:00 PM(edited)
If a familiar has a really good stat...so good that there is little point in raising it with food... but has another stat that is terrible is it worth it to dump points into the terrible stat?...but you can't really do that since it won't grow familiarity correct?

And favorite foods usually are directly tied to the highest stat of the familiar when you first capture it right?
#8NathypantsPosted 1/28/2013 3:44:43 PM
AP3Brain posted...
If a familiar has a really good stat...so good that there is little point in raising it with food... but has another stat that is terrible is it worth it to dump points into the terrible stat?...but you can't really do that since it won't grow familiarity correct?

And favorite foods usually are directly tied to the highest stat of the familiar when you first capture it right?

All foods raise familiarity, albeit at a much slower rate.

You could also just feed them until they can't gain any more stats, and then keep feeding them their favorite food. They won't gain any stats from that, but they'll still get familiarity.
---
~If you sprinkle when you tinkle~
~Be a sweetie and wipe the seaty~
#9zidane7007Posted 1/29/2013 6:56:05 AM
najzere posted...
Huh, wonder why they don't mention anything about familiars' favorite foods in-game.

Actually, the Wizard's Companion does mention which food each genus likes. If you go to the monster section of the book, the summary page for each genus describes which food that genus likes.
---
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5 Ghz, MSI Geforce GTX680 Twinfrozr Ed, 8 gb DDR3 RAM @ 1600 Mhz.
PSN: zidane7007, XBL: Basstardfish