Tried using a tank familiar and it didn't work so well..help?

#1jagosdomainPosted 1/28/2013 4:44:24 PM
I would assume this is beyond the capabilities of the AI in this game but I figured I'd try. I have a monolith on Swaine, it is his character in the first slot so he leads with it. He never uses yoo hoo on his own. I tried "keep us healthy" and "back us up" and nothing. I tried just switching to him and using yoo hoo, but then when I switch back to Olli he just goes to familiar #2 and gets wasted because aggro is still on him.

Any other tactic I can try to get this to work or is this yet another AI failure?
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site.
#2PhadinPosted 1/28/2013 4:47:02 PM
I havent' seen him use yoo hoo, but I've had him use the monolith plenty. It's 2nd form gets a water attack spell, and that helps him draw aggro when he uses that. Especially with Monolith's high magic attack.
#3Yuji KaidoPosted 1/28/2013 4:48:32 PM
You can try...

1. Putting Monolith in the first monster slot
2. Putting it at a higher level than your other familiars so he will go to it more
3. Start piling on the flans on your monolith now so his defense rating will be higher.
4. Just raising it's familiarity more than the others will

Mine has 3 hearts and is the lowest level out of the others but Swaine still relies on it more.(It's in its final form but still)
---
Sazh - Racist caricature and worst FF character ever. Don't agree ? Your problem.
You can't cook, you won't get naked...what are you even good for ?! - Yosuke
#4jagosdomain(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 5:01:27 PM
I'm not having a problem with him using him, he just doesn't use yoo hoo skill at all. If I switched to him and use it manually then switch back to Oliver...Swaine will bring out another familiar and will not keep using Monolith. It's frustrating.

I would kill for even Tales games tactics system over this:(
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site.
#5adibicciPosted 1/28/2013 5:06:02 PM
jagosdomain posted...
I would assume this is beyond the capabilities of the AI in this game but I figured I'd try. I have a monolith on Swaine, it is his character in the first slot so he leads with it. He never uses yoo hoo on his own. I tried "keep us healthy" and "back us up" and nothing. I tried just switching to him and using yoo hoo, but then when I switch back to Olli he just goes to familiar #2 and gets wasted because aggro is still on him.

Any other tactic I can try to get this to work or is this yet another AI failure?

is he set to "use no abilities"?

he apparently does not realize hes tanking so immediately attempts to do something when you switch to another character. i usually start as swaine, toss mono, use yoo hoo.

at this point you are free to switch character and mono will stay out till it expires. however, if you use defend prior to switching the AI will make mono attack instead. also note that doing "all attack" will cause swaine to unsummon it as well.

hope this helps ya, have fun!