Now that newness factor is wearing off is it as epic as they say?

#11raigePosted 1/28/2013 11:36:50 PM
It's decent, but has quite a few annoyances. Old school JRPG fans will enjoy it. Anyone else, not so much.
#12MikeDanger1Posted 1/28/2013 11:48:30 PM
Thing is they probably mixed every single RPG that i've enjoyed in my life(DQ, Pokemon, Tales, FF12,etc.), the only thing that was missing was time traveling(Chrono Trigger) and giant mech suits(Xenogears) and you've covered them all.

So yeah it's a really great game, i've enjoyed the story, voice acting, artstyle and boss battles very much.
#13NicoGrimmPosted 1/29/2013 12:00:23 AM(edited)
That's kind of the point. Ni No Kuni isn't "new".
It's a throwback to classic, old school RPGs (albeit with less puzzles, and somewhat easier).

That's why people like it.

the only thing that was missing was time traveling(Chrono Trigger) and giant mech suits(Xenogears) and you've covered them all.

They time travel at one point in the game! Does that count?

Also, there are these broken giant robots laying around in dungeons. I hope something comes off that.
---
Somebody tell me, tell me, tell me, when will I learn? I love it and I leave it and I watch it burn! Damn this wild young heart!
#14The_VirginianPosted 1/29/2013 12:18:44 AM
What it comes down to is this:

We live in a cynical world and now getting into my mid twenties I know it now more than ever. You start paying attention to the world around you and you see that stuff is pretty messed up. You stay positive any way you can because heck, I'm an american white male and as Louis CK says, "You can't even hurt my feelings!"

I know this is sort of rambling, but what I want to say is that Ni No Kuni injected some brightly colored, adventerous magic into a system that was poorly lacking any significant entries in the genre while at the same time renewing just a little bit more of my optimism.

Yes, it's geard towards children dialogue-wise. Yes "NEAT-O!" gets annoying the hundreth time you've heard it. Yes it's cutesy and silly and emotionally honest.

There's nothing wrong with that, though. This game's gonna teach a new crop of children to try things that scare them. To be fearless in making new friends and brave when you have to stick up for others. That even if you can't get things your way, the effort put in isn't wasted. That the most horrible thing in their little worlds can't be the end because they have the potential for greatness.

So yeah, I don't really care if it's considered a classic worldwide. but it is for me.
#15SinstroPosted 1/29/2013 12:32:33 AM
Most fun and enjoyment and even laughing my ass off ive had in atleast the past 4-5 years with a game.

i have played 80 hours and Oli's finaly just found out the truth....ive had to much fun exploring ^_^

Think my next port of call is the castle, but i have 2 side quests left on my list to do then ill go there i think.

and from the few things i have heard theres a fair few things post game to do that i think im gonna end up playing for 200+ hours for fun and collecting stuff ^_^
#16KillswitchA7XPosted 1/29/2013 12:45:41 AM
If you dig old school jrpgs then you simply cannot miss this game. It is every bit as good as the vaunted ps1 era RPGs and comes damn close to being on the same level as Earthbound, Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger, etc. I cannot praise this game enough!
---
UMVC3: Dante/Cap/Magneto
SSF4AE: Sagat, SFxT: Kazuya/Zangief
#17jsol5Posted 1/29/2013 1:18:43 AM
Easily the best and most charming JRPG I've played since Dragon Quest 8. Like others have said, you won't like this game if you dislike JRPGs. It is a classic example of the genre and fondly reminds me of the SNES/PS1 RPG days.
#18MuflagginPosted 1/29/2013 1:28:14 AM
As epic as this board says? Not even close. It's a good game, but nothing more. There's nothing wrong with that either.
---
"In the real world. You see that's where most people live and that's where Lara Croft is more well-known than Mario." - LuminescentRule
#19rush86Posted 1/29/2013 1:45:53 AM
Im 12 and a half hours in. And i cant stop playing i love it. And it takes special jrpgs to get me hooked. Most of them i just play for a few hours and never continue. So thats saying alot right there