Stupid GameStop Employees

#211SlimCreeperPosted 1/29/2013 10:01:52 PM
Sephiroth Clone posted...
As a gamer with little to no retail experience who has tried to get a job at Gamestop numerous times only to be pushed back because of said of lack of retail experience, i've come to the conclusion that Gamestop, a company that sells games don't care if you like games they just care if you can sell them. Thus, most gamestop employees are incompetent when it comes to game knowledge (except for the really popular ones like Call of Duty and what have you) or they're just plain casuals.

While often the case, if you've ever worked retail it is literally the same everywhere.
I work at a hardware store, some people are there because they really do actually know their department inside and out and love what they do. Others are there because it pays the bills and some are there because they are good at managing people, or selling things. These people don't always know all the ins and outs of what it is they are selling /managing they are just good at it. This is what large corporations want.
It is the same in any retail environment.
I live in an area where I am at a pretty equal distance from 3 different GameStops. All of which I frequent. One of which almost if not all employees i've talked to are true gamers who know their stuff.
the other two may have one or two who are serious gamers on the floor at any given time.
The others just work there because its a job, they may game here or there but its like anywhere else, not everyone at McDonald's is 100% down with cheeseburgers but they may eat a burger from time to time.
#212wow_nowPosted 1/29/2013 10:25:14 PM
1) TC, you have a right to want what you ordered, but oftentimes pre-order bonuses have this fine print that says "while supplies last." So some people won't get their pre-order bonuses, and it's really the fault of the GameStop management for not ordering enough pre-order bonuses for the people who pre-ordered. However, keep in mind it's not the employee's faults, they just do what they're told. A courteous employee would double check the quality of the product, but I don't blame an employee for not doing that. You could have asked for another case, if yours was dented.

2) Dunno why everyone is yelling at TC for complaining. He pre-ordered so he could get the goodies. The least he deserves is a good-conditioned goody. When I get a happy meal for my little brother and he doesn't get his toy, I have a right to ask management for the toy. If the toy is all broken, then I'd ask for another one. It's not the employee's faults for giving me a broken toy, **** happens. If a business is going to use something extra as an incentive for you to buy something, you sure as hell better get that something extra when you buy it. It is what we're entitled to, because we're buying the thing.

I'll admit that most customers are whiny little b****es; problems are not often caused by employees. But customers will blame employees because that's who they deal with.

All in all, everyone needs to calm down.
#213king_maddenPosted 1/29/2013 11:23:53 PM
wow_now posted...
1) TC, you have a right to want what you ordered, but oftentimes pre-order bonuses have this fine print that says "while supplies last." So some people won't get their pre-order bonuses, and it's really the fault of the GameStop management for not ordering enough pre-order bonuses for the people who pre-ordered. However, keep in mind it's not the employee's faults, they just do what they're told. A courteous employee would double check the quality of the product, but I don't blame an employee for not doing that. You could have asked for another case, if yours was dented.

2) Dunno why everyone is yelling at TC for complaining. He pre-ordered so he could get the goodies. The least he deserves is a good-conditioned goody. When I get a happy meal for my little brother and he doesn't get his toy, I have a right to ask management for the toy. If the toy is all broken, then I'd ask for another one. It's not the employee's faults for giving me a broken toy, **** happens. If a business is going to use something extra as an incentive for you to buy something, you sure as hell better get that something extra when you buy it. It is what we're entitled to, because we're buying the thing.

I'll admit that most customers are whiny little b****es; problems are not often caused by employees. But customers will blame employees because that's who they deal with.

All in all, everyone needs to calm down.

just to comment on #2, its fine if you complain while you are there so THEY can remedy the situation, but in this case its like going to mcdonalds, receiving a scuffed toy, taking it home, eating the meal, and a week later when your child notices the scuff, you go to message board and claim how stupid mcdonalds employees are.

no point in crying about it now, you didnt care enough to check it and comment to them when you bought it, dont cry to people who cant do anything about it a week later.
#214SantaeidPosted 1/29/2013 11:45:22 PM
Darlordvader posted...
I'm also a gamestop employee, only for about half a year now. It sucks. obviously it's a job where your performance has a huge impact on your paycheck, but that doesn't mean all is fair. in regards to preorder bonuses, i can only speak for myself when i say that they can cause things to be more than a little hectic, especially when it's a physical preorder.

more often than not, either myself or my coworkers will arrive at work on a tuesday (which is when most releases are done) and start taking care of everyone picking up their preorders. eventually what ends up happening is either A-nobody tells us a damn thing about preorder bonuses and we get pissed off customers who come back raging because we didn't give it to 'em (which is understandable, even though i think if it was that important to you, you would've asked for it before you left the store..),or when it comes to digital content they get pissed off because there's no code on the receipt.

Look, i'm obviously pretty far off topic about this guy's ni no kuni steelbook, and perhaps i haven't done much more than ***** and moan about how much my job stinks. I guess the point i'm trying to get across is that the majority of us don't intentionally set out to mess up preorders-it's just stuff that happens. with that said though, 1-you should have picked up your preorder on time instead of a week later to avoid getting the bottom of the barrel pickings, and 2-you're being ridiculous. you paid nothing extra for the steel book case! this isn't like bioshock 1 where people spent 80 dollars for the game and a big daddy statue only to find that the damn drill arm was completely busted off, it's a steel case (which we all know isn't real steel it's just some cheap metal tin that's prone to dents if handled improperly) that you paid NOTHING extra for! instead of sitting on gamefaqs complaining about how stupid gamestop employees are for giving you your preorder bonus well after the fact that you were entitled to it, you should be sitting down and playing your damn game.

Yoy should know your preorder bonuses dude. Its ur job. U should know wat games are coming out and what bonuses came with it. Don't know then look it up on the web. The only reason he is mad at gamestop is because it was damaged and got no compensation. He went to gamestop specfically for this. Thata like dyaing if his dlc code doesn't work id he got for amazon toguh crap vuz it was free. It was damaged and gamestop should have given compensation and dealt with ups or whoever shipped it. Its not his fault. Like if I buy something and it gets damayed in shipping its amazons priblem to deal with.
---
Intel Core i7 3770, 120 GB Mushikin SSD, 1 TB WD HDD, Nvidia GTX 680, Dual Monitor, CM Storm Trooper Case, Asus P8Z77 Mobo
#215DarlordvaderPosted 1/30/2013 12:20:18 AM
1-not everyone is going to remember every single pre-order bonus in addition to his/her own regular duties at work off the top of the heads. with that said, i myself personally have no problem remembering once i clock in for work and someone says "hey don't forget, we're giving out X for preordering this game today, so make sure it gets done". the way you make it sound i should read the entire list of upcoming games and memorize not only the release dates, but what we're giving away with them.

2-there's no reason to give him compensation because he did not pay EXTRA for his steel book. Mind you now i'm hearing this guy picked up his game on release, so he had plenty of times to notice the alleged dent and get his steel book replaced before they ran out, and even then it's not something we're obligated to do. things do get damaged in shipping, just like things do get damaged by employees from time to time-and i highly doubt someone would just give this guy a horribly dented steel book and that he wouldn't notice.

3-if someone's DLC code doesn't work or never printed out on their recipt, and it turns out the bonus isn't inside the actual game case with the cd, then we're allowed to print out a backup code for the customer, because its something we as employees (and not store managers or assistant managers) can do on our own.

again, using the bioshock 1 example. the special editions of the game shipped with a big daddy statue, and most of them came broken on arrival. but was gamestop responsible for this?? NO. 2kgames admitted it was a major shipping problem, and so they offered to send everyone a brand new statue, as well as an artbook as an apology.

what exactly do you expect us to do for a guy who just noticed a week later that his steel case has a dent in it, when most of our steel books are probably gone already? should i give him his 60 dollars back and call it a day? come on..don't be ridiculous.
---
XBL: Darlordvader
PSN: Darlordvader
#216SantaeidPosted 1/30/2013 3:29:52 AM
If the item is damaged during shipping it is gamestops responsibilitt to give just compensation. The preorder bonuses are collector items and are eother perm or timed exclusivesm those steelbooks sell for 50 dollars on ebay. The preorder bonus was guranteedn by gamestop. After gamestop saw the bad condition they give compensation and then deal woth the shipping company. Like someone said earlier if your ordered a glass bowl from amazon and it was damaged dueing shipping then do yoy complain to ups or amazon. U go to amazon who sends u a new one asap and then they deal with ups aboit what happened and they get rheir money back.

Just because it came supposedly free with the purchase of the game does not mean he has to take it if its in bad condition. Your logic about not conplaining about something free is wrong.

If a taco bell was just giving tacos away without a purchase then i don't think you should really complain unless itnis screwed up really badly. Now if u bogo then its a different matter wntirely since you put money upfront.

While I don't know all of the story with the tc I know enough that he is in the right and that you are in the wrong
---
Intel Core i7 3770, 120 GB Mushikin SSD, 1 TB WD HDD, Nvidia GTX 680, Dual Monitor, CM Storm Trooper Case, Asus P8Z77 Mobo
#217Ep1taph303Posted 1/30/2013 8:33:48 AM
Oh god this is still going on? Just let it die. People are now just regurgitating what has been said in the past 20 pages.

ITT:TC is a dumb dumb who whines about trivial issues.

TLDR: Same as above.
---
Steam Profile: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197966683944/
#218DarlordvaderPosted 1/30/2013 10:31:43 AM
so suppose he had come to pick up his game but they had run out of steel books, then what? i suppose going by your logic we're obligated to just give him a free game,right? jesus christ this sense of entitlement is ridiculous! i've said it quite a few times already, i completely understand that when people preorder things, they expect to recieve certain little tidbits for doing so. but what you guys don't seem to understand is that as employees, we do little more than ring you out, and give you your preorder bonus IF we can. the whole issue here isn't whether or not gamestop should compensate this guy for his steel book because he already GOT ONE. the fact is, TC went home, played his game, then pretty much a week later notices that he's got a dent in his little tin case, and right away starts mouthing off saying oh it's those stupid people at gamestop's fault.

i would absolutely LOVE to see someone come into my job and try to complain about a tiny dent in their steelbook a week after it's been given away, and try to get some kind of compensation for it.
---
XBL: Darlordvader
PSN: Darlordvader
#219kingofthelostPosted 1/30/2013 5:43:22 PM
I'm kind of glad I'm not the only one who got screwed over. Like I had this on preorder for 3 months to get that case and when I got there they had no clue what I was talking about. I honestly felt like they played stupid so they could hoard them in the back.